Author Topic: Dream Stuff  (Read 84605 times)

ponyboysunset

• Elluminati
  • Just your average otter
Re: Dream Stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
You are quite the dreamer.  Have you ever seen deceased loved ones in dreams?  The reason I ask is that most people who see deceased loved ones or friends in dreams, can't hear them talk.  Though, I did dream about my in-laws the other night.  I could actually hear my father in law talk, but not my mother in law.
No one dead yet but I don’t know that many deceased.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »
Not sure where to put this since, technically, not a "dream" per se but, maybe, related. For @aldous and anyone else interested. Another theory about hallucinations and psychedelics....
https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-math-theory-for-why-people-hallucinate-20180730/

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
I have. Want to help make it come true?
Lol.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
Last night I dreamed I suddenly was in a holding cell, but it was like a little office.  I worried when I didn't see a jail monitor for a while.  I cried out, "Will there be an arraignment?".  No one seemed to be around.  I saw no bed, even though I was tired, but one door was ajar into a little interior office.  it might have had windows, but I didn't peer in because I didn't want to be in trouble.  Another door in my cell said Emergency Exit, but I was pretty sure I'd be shot if I touched it.  I started to worry about my prescriptions and health issues, and wasn't sure where my medicine was.  I was hungry.  I heard someone shout, "You are under oath!". Sheesh.  Harsh dream.

I also dreamed a woman driving a car was killed by a dog in the back seat, who went for her jugular.  I turned my eyes away, blood was projecting out.  Of course she would not survive without immediate blood staunching, and it didn't look like she cou ld do that herself, let alone stop the dog. Even though I turned my eyes away, the image of her bleeding out returned for a moment.  On the bright side, even in the dream I knew it was bogus because the dog in the back originally was a teacup dog plus even after if morphed, it did not warn before attacking.  Most dogs show aggression before killing.  So part of me knew it was just a dream.  I heard a woman say, "Did she get bit?" .  What a weird statement.  "Bite" was an understatement, and how could she have missed it!

It was a rough night, though!

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 11:57:54 PM »
My dreams are so vivid sometimes I swear this life if the dream. They are that real. I have all five senses and dream in color. Good idea for a thread.
Every dream I could ever recall involves full color (sometimes more vivid than when awake) and senses. I've heard some dream in black and white.
If I pick up a handful of wet leaves in the woods in a dream the damp smell is there. The wind is there.

The topics are generally strange involving architecture that doesn't make sense. (Or in the real world would be a zoning nightmare) Think of a shopping mall with classrooms and a steel mill inside and residential bedrooms and kitchens upstairs. That's when I realize its probably a dream and I'll actually ask for the person in charge and ask them how they passed zoning and they will go to a vault door that opens to a swimming pool with floating orange fluorescent VHS tapes.

Many involve the most crappy people I worked with, so a flying dream is always a relief.

Almost no sex dreams, I recall maybe 4 or 5 in my life. (And mostly PG-17 at that) Maybe they are all on those VHS tapes LOL!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 12:10:01 AM »
Last night I dreamed I suddenly was in a holding cell, but it was like a little office.  I worried when I didn't see a jail monitor for a while.  I cried out, "Will there be an arraignment?".  No one seemed to be around.  I saw no bed, even though I was tired, but one door was ajar into a little interior office.  it might have had windows, but I didn't peer in because I didn't want to be in trouble.  Another door in my cell said Emergency Exit, but I was pretty sure I'd be shot if I touched it.  I started to worry about my prescriptions and health issues, and wasn't sure where my medicine was.  I was hungry.  I heard someone shout, "You are under oath!". Sheesh.  Harsh dream.

I also dreamed a woman driving a car was killed by a dog in the back seat, who went for her jugular.  I turned my eyes away, blood was projecting out.  Of course she would not survive without immediate blood staunching, and it didn't look like she cou ld do that herself, let alone stop the dog. Even though I turned my eyes away, the image of her bleeding out returned for a moment.  On the bright side, even in the dream I knew it was bogus because the dog in the back originally was a teacup dog plus even after if morphed, it did not warn before attacking.  Most dogs show aggression before killing.  So part of me knew it was just a dream.  I heard a woman say, "Did she get bit?" .  What a weird statement.  "Bite" was an understatement, and how could she have missed it!

Very good dream remembrance there.  In fact, quite amazing.  Do you have dreams like that every night?  Or was it a special night where you were having lucid type dreams?

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 12:14:36 AM »

Next one you have like that kick down the door anyway, LOL.
The morphing ones are a pain. I also don't like the ones where all my teeth fall out and I'm painlessly spitting them into a cup or something.
When I was very young I thought the dreams were real when I was having them, but then logic part kicked in - so that these days half the dreams I end up realizing its a dream. The frustrating part is when I find something I like and try to bring it back. Ever have one of those?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »
Every dream I could ever recall involves full color (sometimes more vivid than when awake) and senses. I've heard some dream in black and white.
If I pick up a handful of wet leaves in the woods in a dream the damp smell is there. The wind is there.

The topics are generally strange involving architecture that doesn't make sense. (Or in the real world would be a zoning nightmare) Think of a shopping mall with classrooms and a steel mill inside and residential bedrooms and kitchens upstairs. That's when I realize its probably a dream and I'll actually ask for the person in charge and ask them how they passed zoning and they will go to a vault door that opens to a swimming pool with floating orange fluorescent VHS tapes.

Many involve the most crappy people I worked with, so a flying dream is always a relief.

Almost no sex dreams, I recall maybe 4 or 5 in my life. Maybe they are all on those VHS tapes LOL!

You are lucky being able to see your dreams in color.  I like the nonsensical architecture that presents itself in your dreams.  I am a vivid dreamer, if I do say so myself, but I don't see much color, perhaps because I'm quite color blind in my waking state.  lol

I don't write dreams down when I wake up but perhaps I will record them in this thread.  Thanks, 2Lord!

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 12:30:29 AM »
You are lucky being able to see your dreams in color.  I like the nonsensical architecture that presents itself in your dreams.  I am a vivid dreamer, if I do say so myself, but I don't see much color, perhaps because I'm quite color blind in my waking state.  lol

I don't write dreams down when I wake up but perhaps I will record them in this thread.  Thanks, 2Lord!
I don't know of any sites that have something on the order of a dream journal, so it could be an interesting experiment or at least entertaining.
There might be some compensation in yours as well - maybe you can hear in 3-D surround sound or recall more words.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 12:42:24 AM »
I don't know of any sites that have something on the order of a dream journal, so it could be an interesting experiment or at least entertaining.
There might be some compensation in yours as well - maybe you can hear in 3-D surround sound or recall more words.

Yes, there could possibly be good sound in my dreams.  I'll have to try and check it out, if I have the presence of mind to do so.  haha

2Lord2Grantham

• KDWN
  • WSGW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 05:54:25 AM »
For the past week or so I've had very elaborate dreams. Or, it's the first stretch in awhile where I actually remembered my dreams in the morning. Mine are usually cinematic in nature. There's different locations, driving from place to place, some kind of story...that kind of thing. But it's usually very real world, nothing fantastical. 

Over the past week I've:
  • Been at the scene of some kind of tragedy at an apartment complex in the winter (like a mass suicide, something like that). We went over to check it out after seeing police cars and fire trucks while driving by. While there I would cut through people's apartments (front door to back patio), and there would be groups of people in the living rooms silently sitting as if in mourning.
  • Don't remember the full context here but it involved stolen cars (like big '70's land yachts), dark seedy bars, rundown neighborhoods (Detroit-esque), and at some point I shot a woman in the face with a shotgun. :-[
  • The drone thing, which I already mentioned

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »
Here is my theory on dream interpretation.  I wrote a little about it at the last place, so please forgive the repetition, but this is as good a place as any to lay it out fully.  It is based on a dream I had maybe twenty years ago.

In that dream I was stung on my foot by a bee.  I awoke to lingering pain and, upon investigating, found a small, sharp piece of plastic from the tag of a pair of jeans I had, unknowingly, tracked in my bed which my foot had encountered during the night.  So the dream blended reality (the pain) with a source which, clearly, sprang from the imagination.

I think when we remember dreams we are struck by those details that differ from reality, that suggest a different world, but those are no more meaningful than my bee.  That is not to suggest they are without meaning; I was terrified by bees as a child (not any more, really) and associating that fear with a sudden sharp pain is not mysterious.  You get a glimpse of your mind's inner architecture by reflecting on the imagery from which it draws, those fears that are close at hand or remembered from childhood.  They are the personal symbols you associate with the underlying stimulus.

If there is any connection between dreams and reality, though, it is that stimulus.  Just like my sharp plastic, the stimulus is present and immediate, though frequently unacknowledged, at least consciously.  But, whereas my stinger was discoverable upon waking, things like fears and feelings are a little more squishy.

We frequently experience nightmarish scenarios that have very little to do with placid, waking reality.  But consider those occasions when you lie awake at night pondering some problem, and how much worse it seems than in the light of day.  I've read that this is because, at night, your body burns off stress hormones generated during the day that are seldom required in modern life for their original fight-or-flight purpose, and anxiety peaks.  In mental terms, the stresses that produced them are rarely acknowledged fully; in mechanical terms, they are simply not used up.  Couple that with the heat and turbulence of digestion and I think you have the most common stimulus.

So to find the meaning of a dream, you strip it of all superfluous imagery and ask how it made you feel.  This is an uncomfortable question, at least for most men who do not admit to feeling anything, but I am surprised by how often I can, if I am honest with myself, associate the general feeling of a dream with something that happened in the past week, if not more immediately:  an instance of repressed anger, annoyance, fear, etc., or even joy denied exuberance, that clearly spawned the dream, and which my imagination has embroidered using my personal symbols much as it produced that damn bee.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
Dreams, August 2, 2018.

I was talking to O.J., no not that O.J., at least I think it wasn't him.  The conversation was unintelligible and I could not see who I was talking to, but the impression I had was that the man's first name was Orin, as in Hatch, or Oral, as in Roberts.  All I had were the first two initials of the man's name.  No last name.

I went to open a container of cottage cheese but instead of removing the circular, plastic lid, I took a kitchen knife (one of those 'as seen on tv' types where it can slice through a tin can and then just as easily easily slice through a tomato) and chopped two up and down cuts onto the center of the unopened lid.   (I don't own one of those knives by the way.)  The cuts were fairly deep yet no cottage cheese oozed out of the top. 

I was at work (a work place that I have never seen before) and other workers were loading boxes onto what appeared to be a big fire engine, although there was no urgency attached to the speed with which they worked.  They were simply loading boxes onto the open, flat surface of the engine.  After all the boxes were stored, a number of us climbed onto the engine and I was pleased to see that my space contained a nice little air cushion to relax on.  At that moment, a cartoonish looking hillbilly was walking down the sidewalk and he made an attempt at boarding our vehicle but was pushed back by the other men.  I walked over and gave the man a hand up onto the engine.  Then I jumped off the vehicle and walked into a big warehouse that had some more boxes stored in it.  I grabbed one and brought it out just in time to see the fire engine start up and move down the street.  I turned around and went inside to put the box back.  I set it down on top of another box and just then, the Giant Rat of Sumatra (or it's close cousin) leapt out from  between some stacks of boxes and it chased me across the floor of the warehouse.  The damn thing sunk its teeth into my left thumb and when I reached for it with the other hand, it bit into my little finger.  I wrestled around with it and managed to stuff it into an empty box.  The box was in poor shape but it did appear to be holding the rat.  Then I started to think about getting my bite wounds treated.  Note, there was no pain from the bite wounds but I could sure feel the rat's big yellow teeth biting into me.         

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »
I awoke to the sound of polite tapping, rather as though someone at the front door was trying to rouse me gently.  I checked the front door but no one was there, and the back door was similarly quiet.  I packed a pipe and went back to the bedroom.  In a few minutes, it happened again.  This time I listened for a bit and tiptoed into the living room.  The sound was coming from the fireplace.  Recognizing the sound flickers (a sort of woodpecker bird) make when they are hunting, I rapped on the insert a few times, and it stopped.

It started up again soon after.  I went outside to shoo it away (they can make holes in your siding) and didn't see anything.  It kept up throughout the morning -- the same polite tapping.  Finally, on one of my trips to pound the fireplace, it occurred to me the sound seemed to come from inside.  Sure enough, opening the glass-fronted door, he poked his head out.  I tried to shut it quickly, thinking trap him in a sack as he flew out, but caught his poor neck in the door and he gave a little squawk, whereupon I threw it open.  He flew around the room, a rather large bird up close, alighting on curtains, picture frames, into the kitchen atop the cabinets.

Finally he settled down on a picture frame in the living room.  I had opened the back sliding glass door all the way and, trying to get his attention, said "here, bird, I am letting you out" and pointed to the door.  I moved to dislodge him from his perch; he took a final turn around the living room and headed straight for the door and out into the back yard.

Investigating the fireplace, not used since last winter, I discovered another, dead one in there desiccated by the ashes which i lifted out in a plastic bag.  I guess he had not knocked so politely.

Actually it wasn't a dream -- it happened this morning -- but it kind of felt like one for a minute  :P

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
I awoke to the sound of polite tapping, rather as though someone at the front door was trying to rouse me gently.  I checked the front door but no one was there, and the back door was similarly quiet.  I packed a pipe and went back to the bedroom.  In a few minutes, it happened again.  This time I listened for a bit and tiptoed into the living room.  The sound was coming from the fireplace.  Recognizing the sound flickers (a sort of woodpecker bird) make when they are hunting, I rapped on the insert a few times, and it stopped.

It started up again soon after.  I went outside to shoo it away (they can make holes in your siding) and didn't see anything.  It kept up throughout the morning -- the same polite tapping.  Finally, on one of my trips to pound the fireplace, it occurred to me the sound seemed to come from inside.  Sure enough, opening the glass-fronted door, he poked his head out.  I tried to shut it quickly, thinking trap him in a sack as he flew out, but caught his poor neck in the door and he gave a little squawk, whereupon I threw it open.  He flew around the room, a rather large bird up close, alighting on curtains, picture frames, into the kitchen atop the cabinets.

Finally he settled down on a picture frame in the living room.  I had opened the back sliding glass door all the way and, trying to get his attention, said "here, bird, I am letting you out" and pointed to the door.  I moved to dislodge him from his perch; he took a final turn around the living room and headed straight for the door and out into the back yard.

Investigating the fireplace, not used since last winter, I discovered another, dead one in there desiccated by the ashes which i lifted out in a plastic bag.  I guess he had not knocked so politely.

Actually it wasn't a dream -- it happened this morning -- but it kind of felt like one for a minute  :P

You certainly had me fooled, K.  haha  A nice little glimpse into your life, though.  Thank you.