Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 5964 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
World Cup 2018
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
This will be a short lived thread as the competition is almost over.  Plus the meat and potatoes of the thread are on that other site.  But it is still worth mentioning that England will be going up against Croatia tomorrow.  If you have ever wondered what all the excitement and drama of the World Cup is about, than watch England and Croatia go at each other, preferably from the beginning of the game.  It promises to be a very exciting game.

The winner of the above game will meet France (who beat Belgium earlier today with a score of 1-nil) for the World Cup title on July 15th.

Go England!

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup. England have done us proud - Southgate has really changed the game for them, and if Kane doesn’t get Golden Boot there’s something wrong. During the Columbia game I had to take the dogs for a walk first half of extra time because I was so on edge. Tomorrow’s match is going to bloody fab.
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup. England have done us proud - Southgate has really changed the game for them, and if Kane doesn’t get Golden Boot there’s something wrong. During the Columbia game I had to take the dogs for a walk first half of extra time because I was so on edge. Tomorrow’s match is going to bloody fab.

The usual suspects (UK tabloids) were really talking up the threat of Russian hooligans before the WC. Lots of coverage and proclamations of danger etc but I have not seen any coverage of mass battles, attacks, or fights between supporters, like we've seen in some EUROs in past years. And the only crowds I've seen people seem to be celebratory and not fighting.

I know Putin had some of his internal security departments have a "talking to" with the head of the major firms, Interpol/EU/UK had passport ban for prominent hooligans, Putin has informed the Press that they shouldn't print negative stories, and that cities always crack down during things like Olympics/WC so that their cities look good to international media but still I'm a bit surprised.

Go Engerland!!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
I love the captions of the tabloids.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6755687/england-croatia-world-cup-2018-fans-celebrations-uk-latest/

"A lion sleeps at night"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"A lion sleeps at night"

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »
Sorry to see England lose to Croatia. From what I understand, England did better this year than everyone thought they would at the beginning of the season, so it sounds like it was a great run.

I just got back from the first round playoff game for our local soccer team and they won 4 - 1 ... Yay! They are in a minor league a couple of steps below MLS but the energy and excitement in the stands was great to see.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
Sorry to see England lose to Croatia. From what I understand, England did better this year than everyone thought they would at the beginning of the season, so it sounds like it was a great run.

I just got back from the first round playoff game for our local soccer team and they won 4 - 1 ... Yay! They are in a minor league a couple of steps below MLS but the energy and excitement in the stands was great to see.

Great!  I hope they win the next round.  England gets to play Belgium for third place this coming Saturday.  It might be a good game if both teams can play with a bit of fire, but that's something that is hard to do after coming off such disappointing losses.

I feel like the guy in Albrecht's photo.  Only I'd prefer to drown my sorrow with something a little stronger than a Bud.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »
Great!  I hope they win the next round.  England gets to play Belgium for third place this coming Saturday.  It might be a good game if both teams can play with a bit of fire, but that's something that is hard to do after coming off such disappointing losses.

I feel like the guy in Albrecht's photo.  Only I'd prefer to drown my sorrow with something a little stronger than a Bud.

Well, much English beer is lower ABV than even Bud, but FAR tastier. And can always fortify before with a dram of something. (Though the EU? or local laws or owners using those measures always makes me think the "friendly pour" can't happen. But, on flip-side some tell me they 'ensure' you aren't shorted. I STAND UNSURE ON THIS ISSUE.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »

Here in North Florida, there are quite a few supporters of England soccer. Some of the restaurants and sports bars are carrying the games for fans to gather at. A lot of the interest is due in part to our local NFL football team owner Shahid Khan wanting to buy Wembley Stadium. He already owns the London soccer club Fulham and that has helped get more locals here interested in soccer there.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:55:19 PM »
Here in North Florida, there are quite a few supporters of England soccer. Some of the restaurants and sports bars are carrying the games for fans to gather at. A lot of the interest is due in part to our local NFL football team owner Shahid Khan wanting to buy Wembley Stadium. He already owns the London soccer club Fulham and that has helped get more locals here interested in soccer there.

Interesting.  We don't have anything like that where I live.  But I love the World Cup tournaments and have watched them since 1990.  The commentator on Fox was saying how England's team was young and how they would improve and do better next time, but that's four more years.  Small consolation for those of us who wanted England to do better this time around.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »
English hangover...

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Any thoughts on tomorrow's battle for third place?  I say 'battle' because I think that there might be some embers that get blown into flame when the two teams meet.  It appears that most experts are predicting that Belgium will win because the English players are still feeling down from their loss to Croatia.  I'm not buying that.  I think that Mr. Southgate will have the lads in fighting form for one last time.  It is mostly wishful thinking on my part, but I am going to pick England to win, with a surprising score of 3 to 1.  But no matter how it turns out, I'm eager to watch Harry Kane play for one last time at these World Cup games. 

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
Any thoughts on tomorrow's battle for third place?  I say 'battle' because I think that there might be some embers that get blown into flame when the two teams meet.  It appears that most experts are predicting that Belgium will win because the English players are still feeling down from their loss to Croatia.  I'm not buying that.  I think that Mr. Southgate will have the lads in fighting form for one last time.  It is mostly wishful thinking on my part, but I am going to pick England to win, with a surprising score of 3 to 1.  But no matter how it turns out, I'm eager to watch Harry Kane play for one last time at these World Cup games.

I expect we'll lose, like the last time we were in one of these things. They really are pointless, who cares who comes third?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
I expect we'll lose, like the last time we were in one of these things. They really are pointless, who cares who comes third?

You were right Peter.  England lost despite a strong second half in which they should have scored at least three goals.  With the last blow of the whistle you could see how non concerned all the players were, both winners and losers.  Everyone wore a 'glad that's over' expression.

And now the final game tomorrow.  It is being billed as a David and Goliath match but it will only be exciting if the Croatian 'Davids' can take it to the French.  While I predicted France being in the final, (I wrongly had them losing to Brazil) I have come to appriciate the Croatian team and will be cheering them on.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
The Englies got a big heaping dose of Trump hate karma...

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »