Author Topic: linux  (Read 24846 times)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
linux
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
heres a placeholder for linux.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
Re: linux
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »
Excellent. ;)

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 03:21:03 PM »
Well, the clock is ticking on the days that the relatively sane Windows 7 will work safely for us all, so its never too early to dive into the world of Linux. The neighbor gave me his old box with Linux and a bunch of other goodies on it and I have no idea what distro it is or anything about it, as I need to get spare monitor before I can boot it up.

I know absolutely zero on the topic of Linux outside of it has an unusual file formatting that seems to hate spaces, but likes underscores "another_file" and that it has the reputation of having a steep learning curve. And of course, the variations of it are called distros. I fret at the thought of losing the ability to play my favorite Tetris game. Will it work with various file types? (ttf, otf, jpg, pdf, mp3) So, its not the big thing, but the millions of little things I worry about.

So in the next week or so, I plan on getting the box out of mothballs and seeing what damage I can do...I will probably at first use Linux for online work and keep the Win machines air-gapped after 2020. I'll let you know how it goes and what I learn :)

Thyrth

• KIDD
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Well, the clock is ticking on the days that the relatively sane Windows 7 will work safely for us all, so its never too early to dive into the world of Linux. The neighbor gave me his old box with Linux and a bunch of other goodies on it and I have no idea what distro it is or anything about it, as I need to get spare monitor before I can boot it up.

I know absolutely zero on the topic of Linux outside of it has an unusual file formatting that seems to hate spaces, but likes underscores "another_file" and that it has the reputation of having a steep learning curve. And of course, the variations of it are called distros. I fret at the thought of losing the ability to play my favorite Tetris game. Will it work with various file types? (ttf, otf, jpg, pdf, mp3) So, its not the big thing, but the millions of little things I worry about.

So in the next week or so, I plan on getting the box out of mothballs and seeing what damage I can do...I will probably at first use Linux for online work and keep the Win machines air-gapped after 2020. I'll let you know how it goes and what I learn :)

I use Linux daily I use ubuntu and love me it if you want to learn more I would suggest  , Ubuntu is a good area to start.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
I use Linux daily I use ubuntu and love me it if you want to learn more I would suggest  , Ubuntu is a good area to start.

Ubuntu started doing the automatic reporting like Windows 10 after a certain version (14.2? Maybe). There are better distros for privacy concerns. 
Are we having fun yet?

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »

Ubuntu started doing the automatic reporting like Windows 10 after a certain version (14.2? Maybe). There are better distros for privacy concerns.

Hey GS, what say you on the latest (19) Mint Cinnamon desktop?

Thyrth

• KIDD
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
I would use Gnome But Plasma  desktop has gotten  alot of speed  behind it. Download Kubuntu and give it a spin.  Yes it does send stuff back to  Canonical you can see it all in plain text oor you can chose not to, send it back. If you got any questions let me know.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Hey GS, what say you on the latest (19) Mint Cinnamon desktop?

I don’t know the recent distros of Linux. I was parroting something that Sandman Logan posted right before emvee pulled the plug on sewergab.  In fact, most conspiracy theorists agree that Sandman’s disclosures on Linux distros were the real reason for the takedown.
Are we having fun yet?

Serenity

• KIDD
    • Alien Dreams
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:56:47 AM »

Beer Garden Gnome?
Been using Ubuntu Server on the desktop/streaming machine and Radio machine. Stopped at 14.04LTS Stable, works good handles 64 bits. What most windows users dont get is that all ports are open by default but Linux all ports are closed by default. IP tables and a good front end you can open only the ones you use. I kinda feel nostalgic sometimes. When I ran a "bulletin board" back in the commodore days, there were no ports. Just block the phone numbers you didn't want to use the system LOL.
Remember, if you need good shit call ACME, because we have the best shit around!
"I loved their shit so much I bought the company"
Joe Shit Owner

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »

if your worried about ubuntu reporting back to hq, try the current stable version of debian (currently stretch). the installer is easy and a gui.

you can choose what desktop environment software you want, if any after the base install is done ( the installer gives you this choice), along with any servers (print server,  web server etc). yes its systemd, and no its not "cutting edge" but it is very stable and the default install is all open source software. you might need to install some (non-free aka not open source) firmware or drivers for certain things like wifi.

in my experience that is about the only thing you need  a non-open source driver for. the rest are detected during install and downloaded if needed. you may need to connect via ethernet during install and have a flash drive and another computer (for the non free drivers) or wait till its installed then download /install the needed driver(s).

if you dont want the hassle , then linux mint is for you as it includes the non open source drivers.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
if it has something on it i would recommend formatting and installing linux mint. when installing use the "erase disk and install linux mint" function and next through any other partition related connections. the following video may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EAes8DDWQE&t=1252s

the install starts at ~14:00

it likes spaces fine. when scripting ,spaces become a hassle.

/*edit/ cant get video to embed

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
test

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Why do folks use Linux when BSD is available - especially when it can come in a simple to install version like trueos. What advantage does Linux offer?
Merry Christmas

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
I think it comes down to the total # of apps:

https://itsfoss.com/trueos-bsd-review/

Overall, I like the idea of TrueOS, a user-friendly BSD. It offered an experience that was familiar, but different than any Linux distro. Unfortunately, the lack of applications was disappointing. Also, I wish the TrueOS handbook was more fleshed out in some areas.