Author Topic: File sharing services  (Read 2954 times)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
File sharing services
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »
Hi, all.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a secure, good large file-sharing service that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for larger files?

I used to use YouSendIt until they became Hightail and added all kinds of services and fees I don't need or want. I am using dropbox but was told it is not the best.

Most of my files are not so big, but occasionally I have to share a 5- 10 minute mp4 video for work purposes.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: File sharing services
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
i use google drive for anything less than 15GB .
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
i use google drive for anything less than 15GB .

Ok, thank you for your reply. Is google drive very secure? One of my clients does not want me to use it, and I'm not geek enough to know. Some of what I send and receive is proprietary and confidential client information.

Many thanks!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
I'm not sure what constitutes an arm and a leg to you.  I have some customers using Live Drive (livedrive.com).  They needed a cloud based shared drive for their users.  It has file sharing capabilities, but I don't know that it would be exactly what you are looking for.  How big of files are you looking to share, and does it have to be via cloud based file sharing?  You might look at secure zip.  You can zip/encrypt a file and send via email.  Recipient can call you for password, or you can send via text.  This is a HPPA compliant way to send files.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »
I'm not sure what constitutes an arm and a leg to you.  I have some customers using Live Drive (livedrive.com).  They needed a cloud based shared drive for their users.  It has file sharing capabilities, but I don't know that it would be exactly what you are looking for.  How big of files are you looking to share, and does it have to be via cloud based file sharing?  You might look at secure zip.  You can zip/encrypt a file and send via email.  Recipient can call you for password, or you can send via text.  This is a HPPA compliant way to send files.
Well Hightail went up to $159 for services I didn't need. So far the biggest file was just under 1 gb, most are smaller. I don't know why I was told dropbox was not secure, either.

I had not thought of secure zipped files, but that's a good idea, thanks very much. +1 Karma! <g>

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 05:28:13 AM »
Ok, thank you for your reply. Is google drive very secure? One of my clients does not want me to use it, and I'm not geek enough to know. Some of what I send and receive is proprietary and confidential client information.

Many thanks!
google sorts through these things looking to advertise. a nondescript name of a password protected file should do the job. just send the link via text or voice. well voice might be tough, but text might work ok, or  secure email (https from a provider that doesnt snoop though for advertising like google/microsoft/apple) .
there are other means but they get increasingly complex.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »
I forgot to add OneDrive to the mix last night.  That is secure, and will avoid the "using Google" problem.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
I forgot to add OneDrive to the mix last night.  That is secure, and will avoid the "using Google" problem.
but you gain the "using microsoft" problem as $micro$oft does the same thing as google.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:13 AM »
personally i would set up a  sftp server (secure ftp) that has a decent password like FVa'#2iZm<?SlpUcsITk or as in this xkcd:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

with a sftp server then you can setup/remove individual users as needed.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »
but you gain the "using microsoft" problem as $micro$oft does the same thing as google.

I agree with you on that.  I have run into a few people who know about Google's shady practices, but aren't aware of what M$ is up to.  I follow the KGB's lead:  if you don't want anyone to be able to read it, keep it on paper and lock it up.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
personally i would set up a  sftp server (secure ftp) that has a decent password like FVa'#2iZm<?SlpUcsITk or as in this xkcd:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

with a sftp server then you can setup/remove individual users as needed.

Thank you, I'm going to chat with my web folks to see if they can help me with this suggestion.

Thank you all!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
I agree with you on that.  I have run into a few people who know about Google's shady practices, but aren't aware of what M$ is up to.  I follow the KGB's lead:  if you don't want anyone to be able to read it, keep it on paper and lock it up in your brain and tell no one about it.
FIFY