Author Topic: What got you "into" the paranormal?  (Read 11997 times)

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
What got you "into" the paranormal?
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:41:23 AM »
I think I can probably trace it back to one very odd event.

I was 5. Watching telly at home and heard the Vrillon broadcast.

Looking back I am still extremely pleased I heard this live, even though it shocked and scared me (and my mum who i called into the lounge to hear it with me). I remember the exact moment it started and all of the rest of the broadcast. It still evokes sense memories from that time for me.

Was it a hoax? Dunno, a very clever hoax to have pulled that off and very clever planning to have hit an area full of so many US airbases etc.

It planted a seed in my 5 year old mind that's never let go.

Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: What got you "into" the paranormal?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
I have never heard of Vrillion. That should wake you up. Not a fake "woke". I especially like how it interrupted with the news and concluded with a cartoon. I'll Google it

My mom was pretty witchy. In a magick sense. Not with a b. She was very low-key about it. More just open-minded. I grew up in a house with cats and a ghost. My mom taught me to determine the sex of our cat's newborn kittens by holding a thread with a needle or small ring over one. If it went in a circle - female; back and forth - male. I've always used the same method on my pregnant friends by holding a thread and ring over their tummy. Never been wrong. I remember my little brother when he was around 4 or 5 telling my mom and me experiences from a past life. My mom neither made a big deal about it or dismissed it. Just listened. Lots of other similar things growing up. My surprise was learning at 10 years old that all these things I took for granted were "paranormal".  I've continued to have "paranormal" experiences all my life. I think just because I was raised to be open-minded. But not empty-headed. I can be very rational and skeptical hearing tales on the radio and podcasts, etc. Thanks, Mom
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

Looking back I am still extremely pleased I heard this live, even though it shocked and scared me (and my mum who i called into the lounge to hear it with me). I remember the exact moment it started and all of the rest of the broadcast. It still evokes sense memories from that time for me.

Was it a hoax? Dunno, a very clever hoax to have pulled that off and very clever planning to have hit an area full of so many US airbases etc.

As I read this Art is mentioning it on The Ultimate Art Bell feed.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
I have never heard of Vrillion. That should wake you up. Not a fake "woke". I especially like how it interrupted with the news and concluded with a cartoon. I'll Google it

My mom was pretty witchy. In a magick sense. Not with a b. She was very low-key about it. More just open-minded. I grew up in a house with cats and a ghost. My mom taught me to determine the sex of our cat's newborn kittens by holding a thread with a needle or small ring over one. If it went in a circle - female; back and forth - male. I've always used the same method on my pregnant friends by holding a thread and ring over their tummy. Never been wrong. I remember my little brother when he was around 4 or 5 telling my mom and me experiences from a past life. My mom neither made a big deal about it or dismissed it. Just listened. Lots of other similar things growing up. My surprise was learning at 10 years old that all these things I took for granted were "paranormal".  I've continued to have "paranormal" experiences all my life. I think just because I was raised to be open-minded. But not empty-headed. I can be very rational and skeptical hearing tales on the radio and podcasts, etc. Thanks, Mom

Yeah .. I hear you re the being rational and skeptical, I like listening to weird and freaky stuff and I may not believe it but I enjoy it. The stranger the better. You were lucky your mum was very open minded about things. My mum wouldn’t let used furniture or books in the house because they could harbour evenly spirits ... 
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »
As I read this Art is mentioning it on The Ultimate Art Bell feed.

I had always decided that if I was going to talk to Art about anything it would have been about this experience. Oh well .. I remember the show where he talked about it. There are no coincidences!
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
BIgfoot initially got me into the paranormal. Had a sighting when I was very young. Scared the hell out of me & gave me nightmares for many years. As I got older I've had sleep paralysis and had two dream premonitions that came true the day following the dreams. One was stupid and very trivial and one predicted an injury. They weren't vague and symbolic dreams that you had to stretch to get meaning out of either. They were very precise and exact.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:31:37 AM »
BIgfoot initially got me into the paranormal. Had a sighting when I was very young. Scared the hell out of me & gave me nightmares for many years. As I got older I've had sleep paralysis and had two dream premonitions that came true the day following the dreams. One was stupid and very trivial and one predicted an injury. They weren't vague and symbolic dreams that you had to stretch to get meaning out of either. They were very precise and exact.

I think I would like to see Bigfoot, but I think the reality would be very different. Never had premonitions of any kind, used to get deja vu a lot, I think my brain has slowed down so that particular thing is not likely to happen again!
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 05:36:38 AM »
I was born into the paranormal.

ponyboysunset

• Elluminati
  • Just your average otter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »

I forgot about this! Thanks for bringing it up again and giving me a rabbit hole to go down today!

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »
My parents and grandmother and great aunts were all members of a Spiritist cult group. They were all true believers. They always getting messages from their spirit guides .

Message delivery usually involved going to a meeting and paying a donation to the medium who had the ability to talk to the dead.

Growing up around that I was encouraged to try to see ghosts and auras. And from a young age, I began to see orbs, auras,  ghosts that might or might not be spirit guides, hear voices, seeing fiery writing in the air, and have full OBEs. It was a Carlos Castaneda experience.

I was seeing and hearing the same things as the mediums. Like the mediums,  i was prone to frequent headaches .  I was just as successful as the mediums at locating hidden treasure and prediction of lotto numbers--which was never. When i told my parents i was never believed. I guess the fact that I wasn't charging them large donations ruined my credibilty.

Often when i saw some of the phenomena, I  would get a headache--not an ordinary headache but a headache that had me hiding in A dark room and curling up on the floor.

My parents didn't believe there was any headache that praying couldn’t cure, so I was never treated until I moved away.     I was diagnosed with migraines in a foreign hospital years later

It turned out that what I was experiencing was migraine auras.  They occur maybe an hour before the headaches start  . They also occur without the head ache just as often.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 06:43:02 PM »
Small black handprints on the walls just after I painted my daughters bedroom as a surprise for when she would return home from summer camp. Little black ash-like handprints as if a three year old child pressed their clammy palms into an ashtray then pressing their hand on the newly pink wall above my daughters bed.

Happened again two years later when we painted the living room as the same prints appeared on the valance above the front window. Made me really sad, both times.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
My parents and grandmother and great aunts were all members of a Spiritist cult group. They were all true believers. They always getting messages from their spirit guides .

Message delivery usually involved going to a meeting and paying a donation to the medium who had the ability to talk to the dead.

Growing up around that I was encouraged to try to see ghosts and auras. And from a young age, I began to see orbs, auras,  ghosts that might or might not be spirit guides, hear voices, seeing fiery writing in the air, and have full OBEs. It was a Carlos Castaneda experience.

I was seeing and hearing the same things as the mediums. Like the mediums,  i was prone to frequent headaches .  I was just as successful as the mediums at locating hidden treasure and prediction of lotto numbers--which was never. When i told my parents i was never believed. I guess the fact that I wasn't charging them large donations ruined my credibilty.

Often when i saw some of the phenomena, I  would get a headache--not an ordinary headache but a headache that had me hiding in A dark room and curling up on the floor.

My parents didn't believe there was any headache that praying couldn’t cure, so I was never treated until I moved away.     I was diagnosed with migraines in a foreign hospital years later

It turned out that what I was experiencing was migraine auras.  They occur maybe an hour before the headaches start  . They also occur without the head ache just as often.

wow

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Small black handprints on the walls just after I painted my daughters bedroom as a surprise for when she would return home from summer camp. Little black ash-like handprints as if a three year old child pressed their clammy palms into an ashtray then pressing their hand on the newly pink wall above my daughters bed.

Happened again two years later when we painted the living room as the same prints appeared on the valance above the front window. Made me really sad, both times.
I know you prep but at first I thought maybe some kid had really greasey hands n the paint wouldnt cover. Believe or not grease, even from cheese or cooking, gets into plaster or sheetrock it will often 'reappear' if simply painted over
 But over the window? Creepy.

Inglorious Bitch

• Official EllGab Greeter
  • KNYE
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »

Both times were the handprints in the same place?