Author Topic: Current Movies  (Read 14047 times)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Re: Current Movies
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »
Holy crap somebody who actually watched Brotherhood of the Wolf lol. I saw that when it out 15 years ago. I need to check it out again. I remember liking it but I also just remember it vaguely.

I absolutely need to watch The Witch this Halloween season. I keep hearing very good things about it

Speaking of Halloween...

This Weekends Opening (Rotten Tomato ratings)
-Halloween [87%]
-The Old Man & the Gun [89%] - wide Release
-The Hate U Give [97%] - Wide Release
-The Sisters Brothers [85%]
-Wildlife [98%]

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
Holy crap somebody who actually watched Brotherhood of the Wolf lol. I saw that when it out 15 years ago. I need to check it out again. I remember liking it but I also just remember it vaguely.

Yes, an oldy but a goody. I really adore it.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Tonight I watched The Little Hours. It was pretty great. A little dark, super funny, and even some romance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
I saw the new Halloween Friday night.  When I first heard this movie was being made as a sequel to the original I was excited.  I tempered my expectations going into this one but still was eager, hoping for a reinvention of the classic since we are supposed to disregard all other sequels.   I must say that I was somewhat disappointed overall.  Most of the cast was awful.  Laurie Strode was a little over the top, IMO.  It was cool seeing a glimpse of Michael Myers' face (without the mask) portrayed by the original actor.  Grey hair and some wrinkles.  However being 40 years older didn't prevent him from being an killing machine with still impressive strength.

This movie should've been 20 minutes longer so they could fill in more of a family dynamic between Laurie and her daughter and granddaughter.  In addition to Michael's 40 years in captivity.  These story lines just seemed to brief and generic.  There were segments of the original 'part two' that were copied and adapted, but to me not as they should've been.  There also was a big WTF moment that I'm still trying to process.  We waited for the credits to end because most of the movies now put out post-credit scenes so we expected some kind of teaser.  Well, there was something at the end but I don't want to spoil it.

This movie was underwhelming.  If it only had some more meat on it's bones so to speak.  I'll be generous and give it 3 of 5 stars.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
Thank you for the review Shay, I couldn't get to the movies this week, Halloween was really the only one that caught my eye from the new releases along with Bad times... I always have an awkward moment during the end credits in not knowing if I should go with the rest of the people or stay, I personally like to stay. even though the theater normally clears out quick

Weekend Box office Oct 19-21             Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Halloween                                           $76,221,545     (79M)            10M
2 A Star is Born                                      $19,051,082    (126M)           36M
3 Venom                                                $18,043,887    (171M)          100M
4 Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween       $9,721,173      (29M)           35M
5 First Man                                               $8,327,135     (30M)           59M
6 The Hate U Give                                     $7,602,108   (10.5M)          23M
7 Smallfoot                                               $6,576,876   (66.5M)          80M
8 Night School                                           $4,892,515   (67M)            29M
9 Bad Times At The El Royale                      $3,420,067   (13.5M)         32M
10The Old Man & The Gun                           $2,134,481  (4.5M)            16M

Wow Halloween did 7x it's budget on the opening week alone. I am surprised how low a budget it was, even for a horror film .

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
i haven't seen any current movies.. i wait til they come to cable or netflix   :)

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
i haven't seen any current movies.. i wait til they come to cable or netflix   :)

i watched the haunting of hill house.. on netflix ten part series.. it was scary good.. :)

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2018, 04:12:36 AM »
The Haunting of Hill House - the original 1963 film is one of my fave films of all time.
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »
The Haunting of Hill House - the original 1963 film is one of my fave films of all time.

yes, but the series is very different and even Stephen King said "it was close to a masterpiece"..if you have netflix, give it a look.... :) @DynamoHum

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2018, 04:23:35 AM »
yes, but the series is very different and even Stephen King said "it was close to a masterpiece"..if you have netflix, give it a look.... :) @DynamoHum

Watched first ep last night in fact!
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »

Mine too.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2018, 10:50:36 PM »
I watched Alpha about a young prehistoric man and the wolf he transforms into his faithful companion.  Very touching film and if you love animals, you'll like this one.  Beautiful cinematography dominates.

4 stars.

Also saw Peppermint which is basically a female version of Death Wish starring Jennifer Garner.  I enjoyed it but it was rather routine.  2.75 stars.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
Thank you for the review Shay, I couldn't get to the movies this week, Halloween was really the only one that caught my eye from the new releases along with Bad times... I always have an awkward moment during the end credits in not knowing if I should go with the rest of the people or stay, I personally like to stay. even though the theater normally clears out quick.

You're welcome.  So you do plan on seeing it?  Would like to see your feedback.  8)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
I might, I usually go on Tuesdays unless something I really want to see and can't wait and go on the weekend

That is cool to talk about here, current could also mean current-ish  ;D

This Weekends Opening (Rotten Tomato ratings)
-Johnny English Strikes Back [32%]
-Hunter Killer [36%]
-Mid90s [78%]
-Indivisible [64%]
-Suspiria [69%]

Okay I watched the original Johnny English, and I laughed. I don't think it has the following here like they do overseas. It might be in my Top 3 movies out that is on my possible watch list (along with Halloween and Bad times... )

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »
Ahh Johnny English didn't even make the Top 10 total, even though it did open in limited release and did pretty good if you look at "money per theater" finishing 4th in average per theater (Behind Halloween, A Star is Born and another limited release Beautiful Boy) . Not much change in the Top 4 total numbers this past week.

Last Weekend Box Office Oct 26-28             Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Halloween                                           $31,419,070    (126M)            10M
2 A Star is Born                                      $14,037,079    (149M)           36M
3 Venom                                                 $10,652,381   (187M)          100M
4 Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween           $7,284,207    (38M)            35M
5 Hunter Killer                                           $6,653,777    (New)            13M
6 The Hate U Give                                      $5,101,859  (18.5M)          23M
7 First Man                                                $4,865,575    (38M)           59M
8 Smallfoot                                                $4,761,614   (72.5M)         80M
9 Night School                                            $3,236,025   (71.5M)         29M
10Mid90s                                                   $2,980,505     (New)           N/A