Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28983 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Technology Tidbits
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
A place for random technology bits and pieces that do not fit in an existing thread

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Guido van Rossum announced today that he is resigning from the position as the Python programming language's benevolent dictator for life.   Like MV, it seems like he just simply had enough...........

Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

To:       python-committers <python-committers-AT-python.org>
Subject:       Transfer of power
Date:       Thu, 12 Jul 2018 07:57:35 -0700
Message-ID:       <CAP7+vJ+oK5q8a3kxizcbgUrrhwhOBbDj9VhSSNwZ0XgiOuBztQ@mail.gmail.com>
Archive-link:       Article
Now that PEP 572 is done, I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for a
PEP and find that so many people despise my decisions.

I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process. I'll
still be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be
available to mentor people -- possibly more available. But I'm basically
giving myself a permanent vacation from being BDFL, and you all will be on
your own.

After all that's eventually going to happen regardless -- there's still
that bus lurking around the corner, and I'm not getting younger... (I'll
spare you the list of medical issues.)

I am not going to appoint a successor.

So what are you all going to do? Create a democracy? Anarchy? A
dictatorship? A federation?

More here -> https://lwn.net/Articles/759654/

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
A place for random technology bits and pieces that do not fit in an existing thread

My repurposed eyepad.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:18 PM »

My repurposed eyepad.

Can it be controlled via that remote in the corner of the pix?

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »

My repurposed eyepad.
thats not an eye-pad. this is an eye-pad:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

pate

• KMST
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:01 PM »

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:44 AM »

zeebo

• KDWN
Guido van Rossum announced today that he is resigning from the position as the Python programming language's benevolent dictator for life.   ...

That's too bad.  Python is my favorite language.  Feels like a natural compromise between the obsessive structure of Java and the freewheeling pragmatism of PERL.  Hope good ol' Guido can kick back and relax after a job well done.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
In Capitalism, everything is branded.  So how come when I'm using a browser, I can't tell at a glance which one it is?!  It should be right on the screen!  Search engines could also be a little more prominent.  Also, even Windows is surreptitious.  And why isn't my exact version of Word labeled on the screen?  How am I supposed to appreciate or even know what I'm using if I have to go digging to learn the make and model?

A friend and I have noticed that websites are acting very differently in different browsers.  How long has this been going on?

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 11:50:29 PM »
In Capitalism, everything is branded.  So how come when I'm using a browser, I can't tell at a glance which one it is?!  It should be right on the screen!  Search engines could also be a little more prominent.  Also, even Windows is surreptitious.  And why isn't my exact version of Word labeled on the screen?  How am I supposed to appreciate or even know what I'm using if I have to go digging to learn the make and model?

A friend and I have noticed that websites are acting very differently in different browsers.  How long has this been going on?
The quick way to see which version on just about any piece of software Help > About and click. I agree, it should be in the title.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 12:39:32 AM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I don't trust this Amazon Fire tablet.  I downloaded Libre Office last month, used it, and was happy.  Now, it's not in my downloads, there is no desktop icon, and when I downloaded it again today, it still doesn't show in downloads.  Twice!  I know it's not me being stupid, because last month this went far great.  I think I need a non-Amazon tablet.

Also, today, OneDrive wouldn't let me attach files to email because it claimed I was operating in plain text.  Not sure how it would know what I was doing, ugh.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 03:38:42 AM »
Don’t trust machines where the brains are in the cloud and the data is in the cloud, at least not for creation of things. This iPad, for instance, is fine for reading sites, but I don’t try to create anything on it.

As for websites looking different in different browsers, it’s been that way since at least Netscape, the first versions of IE, and several other browsers that I’ve long forgotten.
Merry Christmas

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 04:16:19 AM »
In Capitalism, everything is branded.  So how come when I'm using a browser, I can't tell at a glance which one it is?!  It should be right on the screen!
so this isnt good enough?

Search engines could also be a little more prominent.
so the google search engine has google in giant letters isnt enough? yahoo is the same way, as is bing.

Also, even Windows is surreptitious.  And why isn't my exact version of Word labeled on the screen?  How am I supposed to appreciate or even know what I'm using if I have to go digging to learn the make and model?

because $micro$oft has deemed it irrelevant. you can enable the "Testing version watermark" on the windows desktop if you like.

now update your system like a good little windows user, or we will update it for you. - microsoft

since the browser was invented.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »
so this isnt good enough?
so the google search engine has google in giant letters isnt enough? yahoo is the same way, as is bing.

because $micro$oft has deemed it irrelevant. you can enable the "Testing version watermark" on the windows desktop if you like.

now update your system like a good little windows user, or we will update it for you. - microsoft
since the browser was invented.
Duly noted.  I'm just having a difficult time with Amazon Fire.  It's okay for sheer recreation, but horrible for any serious endeavor other than shopping!  Yes, the search engines are visible, but somehow it switched me to Bing without my knowing it, and I would have thought I would notice it immediately, but I didn't.  I wonder where my Libre Office download went.  I need it badly!  It worked fine a couple weeks ago.  I didn't factory reset, so it should still be here.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 06:10:18 AM »
Duly noted.  I'm just having a difficult time with Amazon Fire.  It's okay for sheer recreation, but horrible for any serious endeavor other than shopping!  Yes, the search engines are visible, but somehow it switched me to Bing without my knowing it, and I would have thought I would notice it immediately, but I didn't.  I wonder where my Libre Office download went.  I need it badly!  It worked fine a couple weeks ago.  I didn't factory reset, so it should still be here.

probably in a folder called downloads.
tablets (and any other touch only device) are generally useless for any real work.