Author Topic: linux  (Read 25002 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: linux
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
Why do folks use Linux when BSD is available - especially when it can come in a simple to install version like trueos. What advantage does Linux offer?

It isn't doesn't have a Satanic entity as a mascot?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
For a long time I've been wondering why BSD never gained more traction.  We ran a couple of FreeBSD servers at the place I used to work, and I used to run it on one of my desktops.  I never had problems getting apps installed.  My experience with Linux hasn't been as good. 

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »
for the record i have 2 bsd machines.
1 is a psense router ,there is not a better product for this.
the other is a NAS4Free  box, again its the best for that application.
both of these are based on freebsd.
i also have windows 10 boxes as well.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »

i salvaged this from my browsers cache. not all pics are available

Author Topic: _LINUX_  (Read 31 times)0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.[/size]

(Sandman) Logan-5
    [/list]

_LINUX_
    « on: Today at 12:01:20 AM »

Instead of cluttering up the Doze thread, how about a thread for all things Linux, Bsd, and one off  Operating Systems.
    A general Operating Systems thread.    visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Sandman) Logan-5[/size][/font]
      [/list]

Re: _LINUX_
      « Reply #1 on: Today at 12:04:03 AM »

Moved from the Windoze 10 thread:

Quote from: albrecht on Yesterday at 10:03:27 PM<blockquote>This is a total non-tech guy question. I get "news" from Linux about new versions. Right now I'm running on an old Dell laptop Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa. All seems to run well. I don't mess with lots of command line stuff and only use for stuff like radio shows, BG, personal email, sometimes movies. Not for work or finance or anything secure. Not sure if I should or need to upgrade. BUT if one does to latest versions does it entail a whole new computer (that is wiping out everything) or does going to a newer version of Mint etc keep the files you got and just update the Linux OS? (Again, I dont know much about computers or Linux but used because old laptop faster and system stable.)
      </blockquote>

Take a look here:    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

My take on your situation would be if it's working for you, stick with what you have, unless there's a particular problem you're trying to fix. More and more, the newer distributions are dropping support for legacy systems (like your Dell.) Your system  will be good for another year.

If you want to give it a go, what you need to do is upgrade the kernel.  it will keep all your data, but if you are going to try this, back up your system first.
      Here's what I would do: Download a copy of LM-18, it should be a live disc - last time I checked, it was.
       Burn it to DVD, (Brasero should be installed with LM)
      Shut down your computer, pop the DVD into the player and re-boot it .
      If it doesn't boot from the DVD - your regular operating system (Mint 17.3) starts instead, you'll need to enter the bios.
      ( https://searx.me   "set bios to boot from dvd"  )
      Make sure that your dvd player boots before the HDD (hard-drive)
      Save and exit (usually F10.)
      It will now automatically boot from the DVD.
      Test it out on your system. Run all the programs you normally do. See if you can connect and stream, check your email, etc., etc., etc..
      If you don't run into any glitches, you should be able to upgrade.
      I found a nice little tutorial for you that works both from the command line, and graphically.
      It was last updated: December 20, 2016, so it should support all desktop managers by now. (You made a back up right ?)

Okay, the link is here:  https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mint-17-to-linux-mint-18/

You will need a solid network connection to do this. If you're on Wifi and the connection drops on you, you could get corrupted files, although apt is pretty good about reconnecting and picking up where it left off.
      The last 2 paragraphs of step 4 are important. Make sure to follow them.

In step 7, it shows a screenshot of the Linux Mint Pakage Configuration - blue backgroud, grey info-box with red header writing and black text, and the 'Yes' selection highlighted in red.
      To select the highlighted red yes, just hit your enter key. To move to the 'No', use the keyboard arrows, or the tab key.
      This is a keyboard only driven output box, so a mouse won't work - maybe on the new distros it does, but in my experience on distros that are older, mice don't work to select.

That's about the only sticky part I see in the tutorial

albrecht[/size][/font]
        [/list]

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:26:59 AM »

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on Today at 12:04:03 AM<blockquote>Moved from the Windoze 10 thread:

Take a look here:    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

My take on your situation would be if it's working for you, stick with what you have, unless there's a particular problem you're trying to fix. More and more, the newer distributions are dropping support for legacy systems (like your Dell.) Your system  will be good for another year.

If you want to give it a go, what you need to do is upgrade the kernel.  it will keep all your data, but if you are going to try this, back up your system first.
        Here's what I would do: Download a copy of LM-18, it should be a live disc - last time I checked, it was.
         Burn it to DVD, (Brasero should be installed with LM)
        Shut down your computer, pop the DVD into the player and re-boot it .
        If it doesn't boot from the DVD - your regular operating system (Mint 17.3) starts instead, you'll need to enter the bios.
        ( https://searx.me   "set bios to boot from dvd"  )
        Make sure that your dvd player boots before the HDD (hard-drive)
        Save and exit (usually F10.)
        It will now automatically boot from the DVD.
        Test it out on your system. Run all the programs you normally do. See if you can connect and stream, check your email, etc., etc., etc..
        If you don't run into any glitches, you should be able to upgrade.
        I found a nice little tutorial for you that works both from the command line, and graphically.
        It was last updated: December 20, 2016, so it should support all desktop managers by now. (You made a back up right ?)

Okay, the link is here:  https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mint-17-to-linux-mint-18/

You will need a solid network connection to do this. If you're on Wifi and the connection drops on you, you could get corrupted files, although apt is pretty good about reconnecting and picking up where it left off.
        The last 2 paragraphs of step 4 are important. Make sure to follow them.

In step 7, it shows a screenshot of the Linux Mint Pakage Configuration - blue backgroud, grey info-box with red header writing and black text, and the 'Yes' selection highlighted in red.
        To select the highlighted red yes, just hit your enter key. To move to the 'No', use the keyboard arrows, or the tab key.
        This is a keyboard only driven output box, so a mouse won't work - maybe on the new distros it does, but in my experience on distros that are older, mice don't work to select.

That's about the only sticky part I see in the tutorial
        </blockquote>

Thanks. You Da Man.  Appreciate details and opinion. I'm gonna dance with who brung me and stick with my setup, for now. When my ship comes in I'm gonna ask you to set up my system! Full on air-gapped, Fradday caged, off-grid, quauntum logic, with backups...seriously.

GravitySucks[/size][/font]
          [/list]

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:28:24 AM »

Quote from: albrecht on Today at 12:26:59 AM<blockquote>
          Thanks. You Da Man.  Appreciate details and opinion. I'm gonna dance who brung me and stick with my setup, for now. When my ship comes in I'm gonna ask you to set up my system! Full on air-gapped, farrady caged, off-grid, quauntum logic, with backups...seriously.
          </blockquote>

What color do you want the LEDs in the case to be?

[/list]

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:34:56 AM »

Quote from: albrecht on Today at 12:26:59 AM<blockquote>
            Thanks. You Da Man.  Appreciate details and opinion. I'm gonna dance with who brung me and stick with my setup, for now. When my ship comes in I'm gonna ask you to set up my system! Full on air-gapped, Fradday caged, off-grid, quauntum logic, with backups...seriously.
            </blockquote>

albrecht[/size][/font]
              [/list]

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:38:47 AM »

Quote from: GravitySucks on Today at 12:28:24 AM<blockquote>What color do you want the LEDs in the case to be?
              </blockquote>

Something not on visible spectrum, out sourced to a Tawainese compamy but manufactures in mainland factory town owned through shell-companies by the PLA. Just to ensure security and good mfging.

[/list]

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:45:54 AM »

Quote from: GravitySucks on Today at 12:28:24 AM<blockquote>What color do you want the LEDs in the case to be?
                </blockquote>

We could Diesel-Punk the case too. It'll keep you warm on those frosty winter evenings.

It even comes with instructions -    visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.modders-inc.com/iron-felix-retro-futuristic-fantasy-casemod/

[/list]

« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:52:37 AM »

I think the scariest part of Linux, to a new user that has just switched from windows, is the command line, known in Linux terminology as the Terminal.  It is a shell program that has direct access to the Linux kernel.
                  Eventually, you'll have to use it.
                  It is much more powerful than Doze cmd.exe.
                  Don't let it scare you. Once you get used to it, you'll come to realize it's much faster and more efficient than doing things graphically.
                  The default shell (Terminal) on Debian and it's derivatives (Ubuntu, Mint, Devuan, etc.) is BASH, an acronym for the 'Bourne Again SHell'.
                  On a lot of Debian based distros (distributions,) a simple keypress of Ctrl + Alt + t - all at the same time -  will bring up BASH, ready and waiting for your commands.
                  It's a very quick way to launch programs.
                  Let's say you want to bring up your web browser, for example Firefox. Simply type firefox into the shell and hit the enter key.
                  Firefox will launch.
                  Another nice thing about launching programs from BASH, is that if they crash, or encounter errors, you will be able to see the errors in the terminal window. Simply copy the error  and paste it into a search engine, and nine times out of ten, it'll bring up an explanation and a solution for what happened.
                  BASH is [upper & lower] case sensitive to commands also.  Most of this, the average person will pick up on rather quickly.

To the point of my post: Here is a BASH guide for beginners.  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/Bash-Beginners-Guide.html
                  It's actually a pretty decent guide.

wr250

• Elluminati
                  • tux the magic penguin
                  « Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
                  anyone want anything as far as scripting automated tasks ?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
                  • Ellevated
                  • Morg!
                  « Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
                  anyone want anything as far as scripting automated tasks ?

Yeah man.  I've already scammed these but could always use more!

wr250

• Elluminati
                  • tux the magic penguin
                  « Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »
                  automating backups to a external drive.
                  1. you will need to know the drive label. plug in the drive and you should see a notification popup. it will have the drive label and something along the lines of "open with file manager" , varies depending on distro. we shall call the drive label "backups"

backups is the drive label. usb drives should be automounted under /media/<username> if a gui is running. (otherwise you will need to set up fstab to mount the drive at a defined place. that will wait for another day.)
                  this is far easier than it looks.

the actual script (backup.sh) :
                  Code: [Select]

#this is a comment, unless the # is followed by a ! ive indented them to make it more readable
                    #set the interpreter using bash (most common) here
                  #!/bin/bash

#check to see if the drive is mounted if it is do the backup
                  drive=$(mount |grep "/backup")
                     #use a if statement to backup only if the drive is mounted
                  if [  "$drive" != "" ]
                  then
                      #set a date code
                     DATE=$(date +%m-%d-%y)
                      #archive and compress the files to the backup drive
                     tar -czf /media/user/backup/$DATE-home.tar  /home/user/
                  fi

this is a very simple script to backup you home directory in full. save it in your home directory.

you will need to use the following command  to make it executable:
                  chmod +x backup.sh
                  many parameters can be changed to make incremental backups for example.
                  the easiest way yo automate is to use cron . there are several guis to do this such as crontab-ui in the software center.
                  there is a command line way:
                  type select-editor
                  choose nano (easiest)
                  this sets the default command line editor
                  type crontab -e
                  you will see something like 
                  * 19 * * *          /home/user/script.sh type in a new line:
                  0 1 * * *           /home/user/backups.sh
                  the 0 means at 0 minutes
                  the 1 means at 1 am (13 would be 1 pm)
                  the * means any day then month then day of the week
                  more explanation here

this script will run daily at 1 am.

wr250

• Elluminati
                  • tux the magic penguin
                  « Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »
                  #archive and compress the files to the backup drive

this should read
                  #archive and compress the files to the backup drive with the date of archiving

also use <cntl> x to exit nano you will be asked to save .

wr250

• Elluminati
                  • tux the magic penguin
                  « Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
                  since i cant modify the above to correct errors , this line:
                  tar -czf /media/user/backup/$DATE-home.tarshould read
                  tar -czf /media/user/backup/$DATE-home.tar.gz

additionally you may need to open the drive for it to be automounted eg "open with file manager"

WildCard

• KDWN
                  • No.
                  « Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 06:18:13 AM »

fuckin mv
                  This place is terrible.

Sofia

• Ellightened
                  « Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 04:59:01 AM »

fuckin mv
                  One of the longest 4 min of my life, but I couldn't stop...

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
                  • Ellevated
                  • Morg!
                  « Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »

fuckin mv

He's watching............   http://bellgab.com/   Click on the big red !

Metron

• Nursery Resident
                  • KIDD
                  • the propinquity of moving electrons
                  « Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
                  Oh my!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
                  • Ellevated
                  • Morg!
                  True Linux Confessions
                  « Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »
                  In the backup script wr250 posted up above he mentions the nano editor.

I've never used nano - not even once..............   

wr250

• Elluminati
                  • tux the magic penguin
                  « Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
                  In the backup script wr250 posted up above he mentions the nano editor.

I've never used nano - not even once..............   
                  nano is a easier to use command line text editor, as opposed to vi/vim/joe/ed