Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231368 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Anybody know the name of this flower?  Clue: It can be found in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

It's a Castillaja (Indian Paintbrush) it generally grows with grasses, it can't survive on it's own.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
It's a Castillaja (Indian Paintbrush) it generally grows with grasses, it can't survive on it's own.

That was my first thought but the ones we have down here don’t look quite like that. One of my favorite spring flowers. Usually last longer than the blue bonnets.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

Winner!

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »
Top 10 best plant identification apps (android/iphone) 2018  https://techigem.com/plant-identification-apps/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
Top 10 best plant identification apps (android/iphone) 2018  https://techigem.com/plant-identification-apps/

I never thought to look for a plant identifying app.  I downloaded the What's This Flower? on my tablet.  What a cool app.  Thanks, Evil!

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
I never thought to look for a plant identifying app.  I downloaded the What's This Flower? on my tablet.  What a cool app.  Thanks, Evil!

No problem.

you can find all sorts of sensors and monitoring software for plants/gardens that can link to phones and other networks.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »

Does anybody know the name of these white flowers? 

There might be a clue on the back of the postcard.  The state of North Carolina.  Perhaps the flower is indigenous to that state?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
my first instinct is dogwood, but it looks a bit low...
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »
my first instinct is dogwood, but it looks a bit low...

Cornus florida in spring.
By No machine-readable author provided. Mickaw2~commonswiki assumed (based on copyright claims). - No machine-readable source provided. Own work assumed (based on copyright claims)., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1208176

I looked up a dogwood flower and it sure looks like the postcard pic to me.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus  Congratulations, PolkaDot, another one bites the dust.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »

Does anybody know the name of these white flowers? 

There might be a clue on the back of the postcard.  The state of North Carolina.  Perhaps the flower is indigenous to that state?
On phone but looks more like Dogwood tree/bush, I think tree but understory blooms? Btw hornets seemingly "gone" from area BUT my Jack O' Latern, actually even when pumpkin, on porch attracted some? Color? Scent? I sprayed and carved. Tuen I got gnats quick (before cold-front, which really was storms.) Had to put candles in all day before Halloween to keep gnats or fruit flies at bay! This AM had to seal up in bag and throw away.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2018, 12:28:08 AM »
On phone but looks more like Dogwood tree/bush, I think tree but understory blooms? Btw hornets seemingly "gone" from area BUT my Jack O' Latern, actually even when pumpkin, on porch attracted some? Color? Scent? I sprayed and carved. Tuen I got gnats quick (before cold-front, which really was storms.) Had to put candles in all day before Halloween to keep gnats or fruit flies at bay! This AM had to seal up in bag and throw away.

Yes, pretty sure it's a Dogwood tree.  I did refer to them as being flowers, but as it turns out they are flowers on a tree.  Enjoyed reading about the short, unhappy life of Mr. a's Jack O' Lantern.  Hornets like to gorge on sugars from rotting fruits and vegetables.  I bet that they were attracted to your pumpkin's aroma.  (I almost wrote that they probably smell better than humans, but I caught myself.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »

I came across this colorful produce crate label while looking up produce crate labels.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

I found some interesting fungi up at my place.  Here is one I need to see if it is Lion’s Mane.

[attachment[/attachment]
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »
I found some interesting fungi up at my place.  Here is one I need to see if it is Lion’s Mane.
Somewhere I got a book, never used, but I can't find it. That is a cool looking one. I guess all the wet weather and now, slightly, cooler weather is bringing out fungi a lot.