Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 22832 times)

scnative

• KIDD
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »

It looks like Florence is headed for Florence.

;D Gotta keep your sense of humor! Especially when our illustrious Gov. prematurely ordered the mandatory evacuation yesterday (he's up for reelection).  And hurricane parties can be much fun! Stay safe.

scnative

• KIDD
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 12:17:09 PM »

;D Gotta keep your sense of humor! Especially when our illustrious Gov. prematurely ordered the mandatory evacuation yesterday, a day ahead of NC (he's up for reelection).  And hurricane parties can be fun! Stay safe.

scnative

• KIDD
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Sorry, meant to edit not double post.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
I was house sitting over the weekend in a house that sits on stilts on a bayou. Yesterday there was about 4” of water under the house. Today it has receded about 10” but the road is still flooded. The road has a sump pump but the bayou is so high from tides and the runoff that it has nowhere to pump.

Probably going to have rain until Sunday.

That's kind of cool! I don't think I would want to own something like that but would be fun for a week or two.  Well at least until you get trapped, run out of food and your vehicle gets trashed.    Of course I'm picturing this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
I’m back in the terrible cone of uncertainty.

She's gonna turn South.  Good for me, bad for others.  Hang in there SC and GA folks!   

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
That's kind of cool! I don't think I would want to own something like that but would be fun for a week or two.  Well at least until you get trapped, run out of food and your vehicle gets trashed.    Of course I'm picturing this:

That is pretty typical of the homes on the bayou.

I designed the deck and boathouse after Hurricane Ike
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

Sweet!   That's a great setup.  Wouldn't mind something like that when it's retirement time.  But up in Michigan along the Lake of course.

Good luck with your blob.  Hope it breaks up or goes and haunts Alabama or something.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »

Not mine but a guy I sorta know had boat on wrecked house. After Harvey. Down in Rockport n had house like that n recently remodeled. There the storm was damage due to winds rain etc whereas Houston is was the floods n constant rain n 'dam' releases. All bad. Good luck!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
Oh and @GravitySucks I think you did good in not painting that deck.   

I can't imagine white paint/stain on a deck like that by the water would be fun to maintain.  Although it looks bitchin'

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
Oh and @GravitySucks I think you did good in not painting that deck.   

I can't imagine white paint/stain on a deck like that by the water would be fun to maintain.

I actually built all of the railings and the stairs once the bulkhead, boathouse and deck were built. They wanted to be able to have as much unobstructed view of the bayou and the vacant land on the other side of the bayou. I had to order the clear plastic tubes for the ballisters from a manufacturer in California and then cut them all to length. They like being able to look out from the living room to what looks like an unobstructed view. I think there are 415 ballisters. 830 holes for them to sit in. I burnt out one or two forstner bits drilling the holes into the treated lumber.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

I like the design. I hate to take out trees, except cedar, n once built a deck around some nice Live n Spanish oaks. Ha. One forgets trees grow and in a wind storm shake a bit...no serious damage but had to repair railing around trees every so often. Good luck. Houston region doesn't need more rain or more floods!!!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
I like the design. I hate to take out trees, except cedar, n once built a deck around some nice Live n Spanish oaks. Ha. One forgets trees grow and in a wind storm shake a bit...no serious damage but had to repair railing around trees every so often. Good luck. Houston region doesn't need more rain or more floods!!!

Well in my first storm in NC that I experienced I learned a valuable lesson.   They have these skinny-ass Virginia Slim looking things here that they call
pine trees and all kinds of different hard woods.  I didn't think anything would bother some of these big strong Oaks but they blew over as the ground around them softened from all the rain.  The skinny pines just kind of swayed like a hula skirt and came thru pretty much okay.   Classic bend but don't break.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »
The town just brought in a pump and pumped out the street. I moved my truck out. I am in like Flint now.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
The town just brought in a pump and pumped out the street. I moved my truck out. I am in like Flint now.

Most excellent................