Author Topic: What got you "into" the paranormal?  (Read 12005 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: What got you "into" the paranormal?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »
Three things.

1)  I was just a kid when this went down.  Coolest Alien sighting ever
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2) My folks had a UFO sighting before I was born.   It apparently pissed the Air Force off because they saw a couple of
    F 106's out of Selfridge AFB go up after it.  The jets broke the sound barrier over town so it there must have been
    *something* there

3) In Search Of!!!!!!!!!!!!!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
My parents and grandmother and great aunts were all members of a Spiritist cult group. They were all true believers. They always getting messages from their spirit guides .

Message delivery usually involved going to a meeting and paying a donation to the medium who had the ability to talk to the dead.

Growing up around that I was encouraged to try to see ghosts and auras. And from a young age, I began to see orbs, auras,  ghosts that might or might not be spirit guides, hear voices, seeing fiery writing in the air, and have full OBEs. It was a Carlos Castaneda experience.

I was seeing and hearing the same things as the mediums. Like the mediums,  i was prone to frequent headaches .  I was just as successful as the mediums at locating hidden treasure and prediction of lotto numbers--which was never. When i told my parents i was never believed. I guess the fact that I wasn't charging them large donations ruined my credibilty.

Often when i saw some of the phenomena, I  would get a headache--not an ordinary headache but a headache that had me hiding in A dark room and curling up on the floor.

My parents didn't believe there was any headache that praying couldn’t cure, so I was never treated until I moved away.     I was diagnosed with migraines in a foreign hospital years later

It turned out that what I was experiencing was migraine auras.  They occur maybe an hour before the headaches start  . They also occur without the head ache just as often.
Interesting story? Mexico or Oz or what country? So do you think now the headaches caused or vice-versa and 'successful as a medium' means what? Not knocking you but to clarify a cool history. In other words,
1) physical symptom vs 'ability' and which causes, or coorelates or happens first
2) mediums vs person with condition reliably predicting, contacting, etc. As good as frauds or chance or good as finding/predicting?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Both times were the handprints in the same place?
Daughters bedroom upstairs the first time, the second time a few years later on a lower floor about 7'3 from the floor. We've painted since then a few times in other rooms with no repeat performances. Like a child wanting to be noticed and possibly protesting changes within the house. Incidentally, none of my dogs since I bought the house in 1998 will stay more than 10 seconds in that now vacant bedroom. Not reading anything into anything, just reporting.

I know you prep but at first I thought maybe some kid had really greasey hands n the paint wouldnt cover. Believe or not grease, even from cheese or cooking, gets into plaster or sheetrock it will often 'reappear' if simply painted over
 But over the window? Creepy.
Definitely prep, I'm in construction and I do things properly but this was literally like you take a deep, deep breathe and hold it warming the moistened air and then breathing it out to the entire palm surface of your hand and then flatten your hand into black ash. It was on the dried paint. It was a sad kind of feeling..

Inglorious Bitch

• Official EllGab Greeter
  • KNYE
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
Incidentally, none of my dogs since I bought the house in 1998 will stay more than 10 seconds in that now vacant bedroom. Not reading anything into anything, just reporting.

Have you tried burning sage in that room? Maybe a spirit just needs to be crossed over. I am not sure who you would get for that. Someone like a Mary Anne Winkowski I guess. Or a priest maybe.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Have you tried burning sage in that room? Maybe a spirit just needs to be crossed over. I am not sure who you would get for that. Someone like a Mary Anne Winkowski I guess. Or a priest maybe.
I dealt with it myself one night and that was the last of it... There's a little more to it than hand prints and I eventually sat down and had a, discussion with it.  Before the hands it was a very loud scratching in the concrete walls of the basement between 1 and 4 am. Couldn't ever pinpoint the exact spot but it would carry three floors up and we'd hear it upstairs at night. Both things were related and it wasn't malicious, I know that.

Can I please go back to being a goofball ;)

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 09:25:06 PM »
My Mom was paranormal du jour. Every new paranormal phenomenon that came along she would follow.

Her given name is Aura and she reads auras.
I was a skeptic from an early age, Mom sez my aura is brown.

She was a fun Mom with people around and would entertained my friends with many different ways to predict their future. Alone she was very demanding and depressed.

I was also raised Catholic (Dad's influence) and enjoy and appreciate both religions and the paranormal.

Dave S is now talking on his show about his life long fear of death.
I instead live my life, as this may be all we have, with the wisdom of Pascal's argument; that a rational person should live as though God exists and "seek" to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

I donate to Falkie, the Church and to Dave S.

Love ALL

Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
The Amityville Horror.  First read about it in '76 in the newspaper and it really made an impact on me.  Then the book, Communion,  got me interested in UFO's.  Also liked In Search Of. 

I mistated something. Actually Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind got me interested in UFO's but really didn't start reading books about them 'til Communion.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 09:51:00 PM »
Daughters bedroom upstairs the first time, the second time a few years later on a lower floor about 7'3 from the floor. We've painted since then a few times in other rooms with no repeat performances. Like a child wanting to be noticed and possibly protesting changes within the house. Incidentally, none of my dogs since I bought the house in 1998 will stay more than 10 seconds in that now vacant bedroom. Not reading anything into anything, just reporting.

Definitely prep, I'm in construction and I do things properly but this was literally like you take a deep, deep breathe and hold it warming the moistened air and then breathing it out to the entire palm surface of your hand and then flatten your hand into black ash. It was on the dried paint. It was a sad kind of feeling..
Yeah due to yer other posts I know you know proper ways which why story is good. And the higher part print, no kid with greasy or dirty hands being up there. Weird stuff. Dogs, cats are always weird, but how dogs will decide to not like a room, stare/bark at a 'location', and even figure out where to settle. Sure I get better ears, instinct about circling, able to detect smells but that still doesn't make it less weird, at times.

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 06:49:36 AM »
Interesting story? Mexico or Oz or what country? So do you think now the headaches caused or vice-versa and 'successful as a medium' means what? Not knocking you but to clarify a cool history. In other words,
1) physical symptom vs 'ability' and which causes, or coorelates or happens first
2) mediums vs person with condition reliably predicting, contacting, etc. As good as frauds or chance or good as finding/predicting?
A proportion of migraine sufferers experience a set of physical symptoms called "aura" around an hour before the migraine strikes. During "aura," all kinds of interesting things can be seen, heard, felt, and smelled. For example, people will have halos--New Age mystical auras. Orbs, flashing lights, and geometric patterns are also seen. Medically, the aura is considered to be an early symptom of migraine. What makes some people susceptible to migraines is unknown.

New Age "psychics" and spiritist mediums claim to see the same thing I've described.   

Everybody wants to be special. When I saw these things for the first time, I wanted to believe it was some special psychic power or paranormal experience -- clairvoyance, telepathy, the voice of God. Afterall, I saw the same things as professional "psychics" and mediums.

I took notes on what I experienced. I devised ways to test some of the experiences objectively. The tests were crude, but they were good enough to rule out genuine psi ability--my results were never consistent.

They fail the scientific test of repeatability. For example, I try to view a street scene outside of my apartement during an OBE. I take note of the people I see and what they're wearing. I look for something unusual--something that would not normally be there. It will stand out. 

I observe an old lady walking a giant poodle with a green mohawk whose balls have been dyed red. She and the dog are on the sidewalk in front of my aptartment. Then, I wake up as fast as I can, and write "poodle with mohawk and red nuts" in my notebook and put the date and time. I run outside and look around. I look for what I saw during the OBE.

Nobody is in sight.  I can see around two hundred yards up and down the street, and there are no side streets.  I dismiss it as a failure,  and go back to the door.

As I'm walking inside, I turn around and look at the street one last time. The old lady and her freaky poodle are going by (in the same direction). All of the details are the same except for the timing. They were five minutes late. I'd never seen either of them before.

I try teh same experiment ten more times that month, and I don't see anything even close again. Then it happens again on the 11th try.

Having said all that, once in a while, there is an uncanny result that is too unlikely to be a coincidence. But it does not happen often enough and never "on demand." 

Strangely, weather phenomena is like the paranormal. Ball lightning, for example, has been observed and even photographed. But it never happens consistently or on demand. AFIK, no lab has produced it.

I don't think the migraines are a side-effect of psi ability. If there is real psi ability, it's too inconsistent.

1) I believe most of my experiences can be explained by the migraine aura. They are the most noticeable just before a migraine, but they are there all the time but not as prominent.

Other things like OBE are different. It turns out to be a natural, physiological phenomenon that anybody can experience, either with practice or in a lab that is equipped with a transcranial stimulation rig.

2) I've never seen or read about a "medium" or profesional "psychic" do anything convincing. Nobody cranks out tomorrows winning lotto jackpot numbers beyond chance. Nobody locates hidden treasure beyond chance or beyond a reasonable guess somebody would make if they are familiar with the case.

Not even Houdini's mediums were able to give the secret message hidden in the sealed envelope. ( Houdini was a believer. He wanted to prove it. this was intended to be proof of communication from the dead. )

I think some of the mediums are experiencing migraine auras. They saw orbs and ghosts (hallucinations) and fooled themselves into believing they had "the Power." They're self-deluded, but they don't intend to trick people.

The rest of the mediums are simply frauds and vultures (eg Lasha from the Heather Wad train wreck). Their MO is cold reading and doing background checks on their clients when they make an appointment and before they show up.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
A proportion of migraine sufferers experience a set of physical symptoms called "aura" around an hour before the migraine strikes. During "aura," all kinds of interesting things can be seen, heard, felt, and smelled. For example, people will have halos--New Age mystical auras. Orbs, flashing lights, and geometric patterns are also seen. Medically, the aura is considered to be an early symptom of migraine. What makes some people susceptible to migraines is unknown.

New Age "psychics" and spiritist mediums claim to see the same thing I've described.   

Everybody wants to be special. When I saw these things for the first time, I wanted to believe it was some special psychic power or paranormal experience -- clairvoyance, telepathy, the voice of God. Afterall, I saw the same things as professional "psychics" and mediums.

I took notes on what I experienced. I devised ways to test some of the experiences objectively. The tests were crude, but they were good enough to rule out genuine psi ability--my results were never consistent.

They fail the scientific test of repeatability. For example, I try to view a street scene outside of my apartement during an OBE. I take note of the people I see and what they're wearing. I look for something unusual--something that would not normally be there. It will stand out. 

I observe an old lady walking a giant poodle with a green mohawk whose balls have been dyed red. She and the dog are on the sidewalk in front of my aptartment. Then, I wake up as fast as I can, and write "poodle with mohawk and red nuts" in my notebook and put the date and time. I run outside and look around. I look for what I saw during the OBE.

Nobody is in sight.  I can see around two hundred yards up and down the street, and there are no side streets.  I dismiss it as a failure,  and go back to the door.

As I'm walking inside, I turn around and look at the street one last time. The old lady and her freaky poodle are going by. I'd never seen either of them before.

I try teh same experiment ten more times that month, and I don't see anything even close again.

1) I believe most of my experiences can be explained by the migraine aura. They are the most noticeable just before a migraine, but they are there all the time but not as prominent.

Other things like OBE are different. It turns out to be a natural, physiological phenomenon that anybody can experience, either with practice or in a lab that is equipped with a transcranial stimulation rig.

2) I've never seen or read about a "medium" or profesional "psychic" do anything convincing. Nobody cranks out tomorrows winning lotto jackpot numbers beyond chance. Nobody locates hidden treasure beyond chance or beyond a reasonable guess somebody would make if they are familiar with the case.

Not even Houdini's mediums were able to give the secret message hidden in the sealed envelope. ( Houdini was a believer. He wanted to prove it. this was intended to be proof of communication from the dead. )

I think some of the mediums are experiencing migraine auras. They saw orbs and ghosts (hallucinations) and fooled themselves into believing they had "the Power." They're self-deluded, but they don't intend to trick people.

The rest of the mediums are simply frauds and vultures (eg Lasha from the Heather Wad train wreck). Their MO is cold reading and doing background checks on their clients when they make an appointment and before they show up.

are you familiar with the Leslie Flint Recordings? most all the recordings are on youtube, rudolph valentino, houdini, many more

https://www.leslieflint.com/recordings-archive

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »
are you familiar with the Leslie Flint Recordings? most all the recordings are on youtube, rudolph valentino, houdini, many more

https://www.leslieflint.com/recordings-archive
No, but I'll read about her. Thanks.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 07:01:48 AM »
No, but I'll read about her. Thanks.

he was a great physical medium.. here is charlotte bronte speaking from the afterlife for example..there are many
more

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 04:06:51 AM »
It's interesting stuff, and he's good at it.

What i'm looking for is concrete proof, hard data that could be used as scientific evidence of communication with the dead: a medium who can give the contents of a secret sealed envelope known only to the deceased, the location of a hidden object only the deceased would know. Those are just a couple of examples of what it would take for something to count as hard evidence. .

For example, anybody who tries to talk to the ghost of Art Bell would have to give the audience information that only Art would have known, and that information would have to be verified.

Furthermore, the medium would have to be able to do it over and over with different ghosts. That's needed to show that it is repeateable. Other mediums would have to be able to do it too.

I believe we're capable of having paranormal experiences. I think some mediums do at times make some kind of contact with the dead.

I think some people have real, paranormal experiencees other than mediumship. But it's never convincing enough or reliably repeated to be taken as proof.

I don't know if you're familiar with Robert Monroe, but he set up a lab to study OBEs. He was able to train the general public to have OBEs. Another of his goals was to provide objective proof that the experience was real.  AFAIK, sometimes he documented some evidence to support it, but there were problems with repeatability. Another problem his lab had was reading secret numbers, words, and cards from the OBE state.. He'd go OBE, read the numbers or secret words, but when he woke up and checked them, they had somehow been scrambled. They were always wrong.

The same is true for some of my own experiences--I think some are genuinely paranormal. The problem is that I can't prove it.  My OBE where I saw the old lady and the freak poodle with a mohawk is an example.  I can't repeate teh experiences over and over and on demand. It happens once, then I fail ten  more times, then it happens again. Many university parapsychology studies suffer from the same problem.

I'm looking for objective data. That doesn't mean the experiences aren't real. I think they need to be studied, and better ways need to be worked out to study them.

he was a great physical medium.. here is charlotte bronte speaking from the afterlife for example..there are many
more

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 04:21:20 AM »
Weird shit that I've seen since I was a kid, that most people would make fun of me for talking about.
I didn't take the normal path of clamming up because of the ridicule, I reveled in it.
Know why ?
Because I realized early on that everyone that ridiculed me was operating out of fear.
They couldn't deal with their reality  being jeopardized. This was actually worse than death to them. WTF ?????????
Yeah, about 10% (that's being gracious) of the population can actually handle new concepts - that's it.
If TV was invented ten years earlier, Hitler and his minions would be ruling the entire world right now, (although Hitler died in the early 90's in Argentina.)

Don't believe me ? I really don't give a shit. Get off your lazy fucking ass, do some research, and prove me wrong.   :P       ;)
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:41 AM »
Three things.

1)  I was just a kid when this went down.  Coolest Alien sighting ever
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2) My folks had a UFO sighting before I was born.   It apparently pissed the Air Force off because they saw a couple of
    F 106's out of Selfridge AFB go up after it.  The jets broke the sound barrier over town so it there must have been
    *something* there

3) In Search Of!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAN - ISO -    +1
Probably one of the most influential programs I ever saw.  Leonard Nimoy - "Spock" doing paranormal - HELL YEAH !    ;)
InSearchOf...  I watched it religiously, and I was only a kid. (Knock down drag out fights - when mom and dad were in the other room -  with my brothers. I.S.O. was what was on, and I usually won the the fight for the channel - big zenith console where it took some force to change the channel dial - and I was damned determined to watch it. ;)  )
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o