Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 1385 times)

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

Are you using wood mulch every year?  If so, that's why you get the fungus.  If you're using different mulches, then you must have some buried wood or dead tree roots in that spot.

PolkaDot

• Elluminati
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
Weird thing. It seems every year this mushroom pops up in the same place in the yard. I think there is an old tree stump there? Not sure what kind it is but seems weird it pops, even through whatever mulch I have put down, at roughly the same time each year, lives a little bit, then gone for months until next year.

Oooh! What a pretty fungus! I’m wondering if it’s a Leucocoprinus? They’re pretty stoked on organic matter & show up in indoor plant soil a lot? Mushrooms are hard bc they can be so different at different stages. I’m curious what the answer is!

There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Elluminati
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
I found some interesting fungi up at my place.  Here is one I need to see if it is Lion’s Mane.

Oh wow! I’ve never seen him his before- crazy! It’s really cool looking.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

albrecht

• Elluminati
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
Are you using wood mulch every year?  If so, that's why you get the fungus.  If you're using different mulches, then you must have some buried wood or dead tree roots in that spot.
I do use mulch but have used different kinds over the years and also it pops up in same place. I think there is a tree stump underneath but as I recall it was a cedar (juniper) which I would find out because they usually don't really rot or get fungi (why we used to use them for fence posts.) But maybe it was something else. I'm not planning to eat but still curious what kind it is.

albrecht

• Elluminati
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
Oooh! What a pretty fungus! I’m wondering if it’s a Leucocoprinus? They’re pretty stoked on organic matter & show up in indoor plant soil a lot? Mushrooms are hard bc they can be so different at different stages. I’m curious what the answer is!
I did a half-hearted internet search and the pics I found doesn't look like that kind but the internet seems to get harder and harder to find real information easily. The amazing thing is how quickly it pops up, grows, stays a bit, dies, and then comes back next year.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »
Albrecht,

Take a look at this Reddit thread.  This is the closest match that I saw.  Fungus ID is not my in my wheel house.  Hope this helps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comments/9ue2lo/just_outside_my_house_what_are_those/

albrecht

• Elluminati
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
Albrecht,

Take a look at this Reddit thread.  This is the closest match that I saw.  Fungus ID is not my in my wheel house.  Hope this helps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mycology/comments/9ue2lo/just_outside_my_house_what_are_those/

Thanks, I will investigate.

EllGab™️

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »