Author Topic: New Phone  (Read 244 times)

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
New Phone
« on: October 24, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
It’s time for a new phone.

My current is an iPhone 6

I have an iPad so enjoy the sharing of pics between the phone and the ipad - useful for screenshots and stuff.

I like iOS and am very comfy with it.

I am not THAT invested app wise so swapping to something else wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. Phone is mainly used for data and photos.

Should I stick with what I know or is there something far superior to an iPhoneX (what my natural upgrade path would be)?

“Wah wah wah, bitch, moan, cry, bitch, bitch” - Hallie Lever

Garret’s moral compass is as small as his micropenis.

tootsie_wootsy

• Ellightened
  • we're all skeletons in the end
Re: New Phone
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
ooh wow  nice to have a new phone   i need one too   :)
aiming for the mid astral after I get out of here

paladin1991

• Elluminati
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
Post the number for it.  I will give you and hubs a call.

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Post the number for it.  I will give you and hubs a call.

Maybe if I get a new phone you can have the number for the old one ;)

wr250

• Drone Pilot
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

I have an iPad so enjoy the sharing of pics between the phone and the ipad - useful for screenshots and stuff.

I am not THAT invested app wise so swapping to something else wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. Phone is mainly used for data and photos.

Should I stick with what I know or is there something far superior to an iPhoneX (what my natural upgrade path would be)?

buy used last gen phones. new phones lose value to fast so i dont buy them. i just bought a samsung s8+ for $438 (verizon wanted 600 for the same refurb phone) from www.gazelle.com .
here is the listing for iphone 7 and newer.
/*edit*/
i was forced into an upgrade as my s7 edge developed the pink line of death and screen issues. i could of had it repaired for ~200 but decided to upgrade instead. i stick with samsung becsue of samsung pay which i can use anywhere, even when the cc terminal isnt set up for apple/google pay.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.

albrecht

• Elluminati
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »

I stick with an old phone and only upgrade when I must. I guess it is usually easier to go with what you are familiar. There appears to be a divide on the Apple vs Others crowd. And ease of what you are used too and common plugs, etc. Personally I like the ability to remove SIM cards (or use multiple ones depending on situation, travel, work, etc,) ability to have removable storage in microSD (again not that I'm doing anything wrong but if you travel or for different situations pop in new docs, movies, music, etc) and not combine things, and removable battery (for hard resets, ability to have backup battery, or for the more paranoid ability to, at least somewhat, 'go dark.') So I go with  Samsung usually. I miss my old Nokia 6210i that still works like a charm and actually can be used as a more effective PHONE than any smart phone I've had or used.

albrecht

• Elluminati
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:30:58 PM »
I stick with an old phone and only upgrade when I must. I guess it is usually easier to go with what you are familiar. There appears to be a divide on the Apple vs Others crowd. And ease of what you are used too and common plugs, etc. Personally I like the ability to remove SIM cards (or use multiple ones depending on situation, travel, work, etc,) ability to have removable storage in microSD (again not that I'm doing anything wrong but if you travel or for different situations pop in new docs, movies, music, etc) and not combine things, and removable battery (for hard resets, ability to have backup battery, or for the more paranoid ability to, at least somewhat, 'go dark.') So I go with  Samsung usually. I miss my old Nokia 6210i that still works like a charm and actually can be used as a more effective PHONE than any smart phone I've had or used.

With regard to apps, an interesting story:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/how-a-massive-ad-fraud-scheme-exploited-android-phones-to

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:21:44 AM »
I don’t know how things are in the US, but it’s rarer to shell out for a phone and then get a sim only contract to go with it here - I mean it is an option, but the contract I am on means I can upgrade my phone after a set amount of time and upgrade the contract and get a new phone or not. Pay anything extra nd go for a new but not current release phone ... so for example I can get a samsung galaxy 8 or something for free and carry on paying what a I pay per month for my current data and unlimited minutes and text, or I can upgrade for upfront amount (say 99 quid) for an iPhone X and upgraded data amounts (30gb per month and unlimited txtx and calls) for like 30 quid a month more..

It’s complicated over here.

ponyboysunset

• Elluminati
  • Just your average otter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
I don’t know how things are in the US, but it’s rarer to shell out for a phone and then get a sim only contract to go with it here - I mean it is an option, but the contract I am on means I can upgrade my phone after a set amount of time and upgrade the contract and get a new phone or not. Pay anything extra nd go for a new but not current release phone ... so for example I can get a samsung galaxy 8 or something for free and carry on paying what a I pay per month for my current data and unlimited minutes and text, or I can upgrade for upfront amount (say 99 quid) for an iPhone X and upgraded data amounts (30gb per month and unlimited txtx and calls) for like 30 quid a month more..

It’s complicated over here.
I do all Mac because I  like my devices working together. I have an Iphone 6s as my Iphone 5s finally bit the dust last year. It's ok. The battery life is not great and I am not lucky enough to have them replace it for free.

If I were to change devices I agree with WR250 Samsung is great. LG makes great phones as well. I am starting to get irritated at Apple because they are going to prevent consumers from making their own repairs on their newer laptops. So at some point when I catch up to their later technology I might make the switch to the Dark Side. LOL. My current macbook is one from 2009 running the latest software that I upgraded the ram myself in. The only reason I switch from my 2006 is that it would no longer update my Apps. I'm hoping next year to maybe buy a used one around 2012! LOL

I hear great things about the Iphone 7. I wouldn't personally shell out the money for the latest and greatest. I think you said though it's like 99 down or something like that?

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 04:57:30 AM »
I do all Mac because I  like my devices working together. I have an Iphone 6s as my Iphone 5s finally bit the dust last year. It's ok. The battery life is not great and I am not lucky enough to have them replace it for free.

If I were to change devices I agree with WR250 Samsung is great. LG makes great phones as well. I am starting to get irritated at Apple because they are going to prevent consumers from making their own repairs on their newer laptops. So at some point when I catch up to their later technology I might make the switch to the Dark Side. LOL. My current macbook is one from 2009 running the latest software that I upgraded the ram myself in. The only reason I switch from my 2006 is that it would no longer update my Apps. I'm hoping next year to maybe buy a used one around 2012! LOL

I hear great things about the Iphone 7. I wouldn't personally shell out the money for the latest and greatest. I think you said though it's like 99 down or something like that?

Yeh if I up my monthly cost I can put down 99 quid for an iPhoneXsMax

It’s definitely tempting..

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellightened
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:01:07 AM »
Yeh if I up my monthly cost I can put down 99 quid for an iPhoneXsMax

It’s definitely tempting..

Will you miss the earbud jack?
I am a rocket scientist. Please do not embarrass yourself by asking me to help configure your laptop.

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 05:11:04 AM »
Will you miss the earbud jack?

Not at all I never use them as I find earbuds uncomfy

Kidnostad

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
I agree that jumping to the latest version of a smartphone or any device as soon as it hits the market is a bad idea if you are content with what you have.  I am with Verizon and upgraded to iPhone 7 just as X was being launched.  I recall people telling me to wait and get the newest version but not only did I save a bunch on the purchase price, I saw reviews and heard X purchasers say that they had problems with it and it wasn't worth the extra money.

DynamoHum

• Ellightened
  • I have no cats
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:48 AM »
I agree that jumping to the latest version of a smartphone or any device as soon as it hits the market is a bad idea if you are content with what you have.  I am with Verizon and upgraded to iPhone 7 just as X was being launched.  I recall people telling me to wait and get the newest version but not only did I save a bunch on the purchase price, I saw reviews and heard X purchasers say that they had problems with it and it wasn't worth the extra money.

Yah I do tend to agree there and I may well just go to the iPhone 8 .. still a considerable upgrade, but not as big a faff as it could be.

EllGab™️

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:48 AM »