Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28968 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 12:04:41 AM »
if you are using chrome on the fire (it uses android) there are 3 "." vertically on the upper right corner. tap those  scroll down until you find "Downloads" .
otherwise open a file manager (you may need to install one).
usually downloads is listed on its opening page.
if not:
open internal storage scroll down until you find Download
open that
if you have a sd card
open it scroll down until you find Download
Thanks.  I haven't been able to download Chrome, but you got me to the Silk Browser download file.  Thank you!!  I do feel kinda silly now  ::).

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 12:30:15 AM »
if you are using chrome on the fire (it uses android) there are 3 "." vertically on the upper right corner. tap those  scroll down until you find "Downloads" .
otherwise open a file manager (you may need to install one).
usually downloads is listed on its opening page.
if not:
open internal storage scroll down until you find Download
open that
if you have a sd card
open it scroll down until you find Download
I still cant get chrome.  Every you tube instructions breaks down, every search result instruction breaks down at some point.  Amazon wont even let me get confirmation emails from "unknown" senders!  I'm going crazy.

I just want to download and install it.  I dont want to logon to google play bec that opens a can of worms, for hours, and i am not fishing!!!

Im sick of not having chrome.  The Amazon Fire has glitches and I need a good browser so i can tell when a glitch is the tablet.

Can anyone help?  Does TL have Chrome on hers?

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 04:10:21 AM »
I still cant get chrome.  Every you tube instructions breaks down, every search result instruction breaks down at some point.  Amazon wont even let me get confirmation emails from "unknown" senders!  I'm going crazy.

I just want to download and install it.  I dont want to logon to google play bec that opens a can of worms, for hours, and i am not fishing!!!

Im sick of not having chrome.  The Amazon Fire has glitches and I need a good browser so i can tell when a glitch is the tablet.

sounds like time for a new tablet.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
sounds like time for a new tablet.
You Are A Gifted Psychic  :)!  I think I'll aim for Chromebook.  How I wish I'd saved my pain-in-the-ass worn out RCA.  I could have at least used it like a sound background tab.  Amazon is acting like a dictator, appalling.  Way better than nothing, though.  And Coast always plays as a background tab, even though little else will.  Thank you for your input!

Inglorious Bitch

• Official EllGab Greeter
  • KNYE
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
Self-healing reverse filter opens the door for many novel applications

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180824150545.htm

A self-healing membrane that acts as a reverse filter, blocking small particles and letting large ones through, is the "straight out of science fiction" work of a team of Penn State mechanical engineers.

"Conventional filters, like those used to make coffee, allow small objects to pass through while keeping larger objects contained," said Birgitt Boschitsch, graduate student in mechanical engineering.

She and the research team, however, developed the exact opposite, a stabilized liquid material that screens out smaller objects while allowing larger ones to pass through. The research was published today (Aug. 24) online in Science Advances.

The team experimented with liquids for their unique properties.

"If you put your finger in a glass of water and take it out, the water's surface self-heals," explained Tak-Sing Wong, the Wormley Family Early Career Professor and assistant professor of mechanical and biomedical engineering.

This newly developed membrane does the same, but unlike conventional filters, this one does not separate objects by size. Instead, it responds to an object's kinetic, or movement, energy.

"Typically, a smaller object is associated with lower kinetic energy due to its smaller mass," Wong said. "So, the larger object with a higher kinetic energy will pass through the membrane, while the smaller object with lower kinetic energy will be retained."

More at site

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
You Are A Gifted Psychic  :) !
as long as i am not a grifter psychic
I think I'll aim for Chromebook.  How I wish I'd saved my pain-in-the-ass worn out RCA.  I could have at least used it like a sound background tab.  Amazon is acting like a dictator, appalling.  Way better than nothing, though.  And Coast always plays as a background tab, even though little else will.  Thank you for your input!
chromebooks are ok.
i would look for a used core i3 (2100 series or newer)  laptop for cheap. then i would put an ssd in it.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
as long as i am not a grifter psychic chromebooks are ok.
i would look for a used core i3 (2100 series or newer)  laptop for cheap. then i would put an ssd in it.

Newegg.com has some reasonable priced refurbished chromebooks and other windows laptops. I wasn’t looking for touch screen when I was looking.
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
Newegg.com has some reasonable priced refurbished chromebooks and other windows laptops. I wasn’t looking for touch screen when I was looking.
Would I be held responsible if a used electronic device was not fully wiped of illegal material?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »

A self-healing membrane that acts as a reverse filter, blocking small particles and letting large ones through, is the "straight out of science fiction" work of a team of Penn State mechanical engineers.

"Conventional filters, like those used to make coffee, allow small objects to pass through while keeping larger objects contained," said Birgitt Boschitsch, graduate student in mechanical engineering.

She and the research team, however, developed the exact opposite, a stabilized liquid material that screens out smaller objects while allowing larger ones to pass through. The research was published today (Aug. 24) online in Science Advances.

The team experimented with liquids for their unique properties.

"If you put your finger in a glass of water and take it out, the water's surface self-heals," explained Tak-Sing Wong, the Wormley Family Early Career Professor and assistant professor of mechanical and biomedical engineering.

This newly developed membrane does the same, but unlike conventional filters, this one does not separate objects by size. Instead, it responds to an object's kinetic, or movement, energy.

"Typically, a smaller object is associated with lower kinetic energy due to its smaller mass," Wong said. "So, the larger object with a higher kinetic energy will pass through the membrane, while the smaller object with lower kinetic energy will be retained."

More at site
How exciting!  Especially for women!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Would I be held responsible if a used electronic device was not fully wiped of illegal material?
yes

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 03:36:39 AM »
There's a lot of sloppy, bloated, irregular web design out there. Script/ad blocking is a godsend. Flash going away has helped, but depending on what is being used to create sites, there are a lot of best practices being ignored.
Ignored ?
A lot of sites don't even know what 'Best Practices' are.    It's horrible.
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Oh Hell, you're not going to go off on Mouse Balls, I hope.    ;)       ;D

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mouse-balls/
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 03:49:18 AM »

Have you tried this ?    https://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire-how-to-install-google-chrome-via-apk-file

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 03:53:39 AM »

A self-healing membrane that acts as a reverse filter, blocking small particles and letting large ones through, is the "straight out of science fiction" work of a team of Penn State mechanical engineers.   ...

That's damn interesting.
Thanks Ibby.   :)

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 04:05:50 AM »
Yes.

You might want to check this out.
https://lifehacker.com/5894838/customize-your-windows-installation-to-create-the-os-of-your-dreams

You can create an install disc from an up and running OS.

I believe this is the newer version of NT-Lite (which was developed for Win XP) which I've used numerous times, BUT, this version keeps you from removing needed components. (On NT-Lite, you could remove anything - no matter how bad it F***ed up the install)   ;)

Give it a try, all you have to lose is a burnt disc if you create a separate partition to test it out on before you commit your entire disk / flash drive to it.

Or else just DBAN the disc and install Linux.