Author Topic: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory  (Read 820176 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
Re: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory
« Reply #1035 on: February 07, 2019, 01:39:08 AM »
Tonight he played some song to his male guest about holding someone tight, or something. Does this mean Georgie is gay?
Just gray.

sumethinz new

• KDWN
« Reply #1036 on: February 07, 2019, 03:45:56 AM »

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #1037 on: February 07, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
A caller said, "I'll stay on the line because I know you'll have questions for me" and George responded, "Maybe not, but alright".  And closed the caller later very graciously.  Funny.

That was the famous, frequent caller Gordon Wayne Watts who often opines about student debt, Terri Schiavo, abortion and other topics. He was several websites and has solutions to all of these problems/cases.  ;)

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1038 on: February 07, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »
That was the famous, frequent caller Gordon Wayne Watts who often opines about student debt, Terri Schiavo, abortion and other topics. He was several websites and has solutions to all of these problems/cases.  ;)
That's interesting.

I sure disagreed with the guest the other night about unpaid internships.  I mean, I've completed them of course & they are great for students.  No problem.  But, let's not get too excited because first of all, they are not only unpaid, they are purchased.   I've never heard of an internship costing less than $500 in tuition.  Second, I agree it's good to get apprenticeship training, but most internships are a year and no one should work an entire year without wages.

When I finished graduate school, the people who ended up in good jobs actually volunteered for a year and then got hired on.  Now really tell me, how many new graduates can afford to volunteer in the first place.  It's very unfair to people from small families or dysfunctional families, people who can't just live "at home".  That includes the stereotypical man trying to support a family, too.  I found it appalling to realize I would never work in my field because I had rent to pay and no one else to support me.  The whole reason I went through the program was to make a higher wage.  But the only was way to give away my skills for a year or move to Mississippi, or work with children.  But, that was not what I bargained for at all.  Okay well sorry this is so long but that guest just was way too enthusiastic about quasi-slave labor and he wasn't considering people who have to support themselves or their families.

Even worse, unpaid internships often involve subtle age discrimination, because who can afford to pay tuition for an internship and work without pay?  Young people still living at home.  Or stay at home spouses maybe.  Older working folks could use that position to support themselves.  Lots of older people in this economy are back in school, as re-training really does help, and they might like to do an internship too.  But without a housing allowance, there isn't much of a way they can participate.

The best way to reduce crime and problems in our nation is to be reasonable to people in the workforce who are trying to get a better life and get away from families with problems like addiction, abuse, or crime.  Like think about how unpaid internships with no housing allowance discriminate against people who can't stay somewhere rent-free, like with family.  While it is all very nice and well to support white bread families with fun internships, it does little for society except make the well-to-do richer while making poverty/addiction/crime harder to surmount for individuals who want a better life.  They can't participate in the internship because their families of origin are not a healthy place to be.  The internship could be a paid position or offer housing.

sumethinz new

• KDWN
« Reply #1039 on: February 07, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »
That's interesting.

I sure disagreed with the guest the other night about unpaid internships.  I mean, I've completed them of course & they are great for students.  No problem.  But, let's not get too excited because first of all, they are not only unpaid, they are purchased.   I've never heard of an internship costing less than $500 in tuition.  Second, I agree it's good to get apprenticeship training, but most internships are a year and no one should work an entire year without wages.

When I finished graduate school, the people who ended up in good jobs actually volunteered for a year and then got hired on.  Now really tell me, how many new graduates can afford to volunteer in the first place.  It's very unfair to people from small families or dysfunctional families, people who can't just live "at home".  That includes the stereotypical man trying to support a family, too.  I found it appalling to realize I would never work in my field because I had rent to pay and no one else to support me.  The whole reason I went through the program was to make a higher wage.  But the only was way to give away my skills for a year or move to Mississippi, or work with children.  But, that was not what I bargained for at all.  Okay well sorry this is so long but that guest just was way too enthusiastic about quasi-slave labor and he wasn't considering people who have to support themselves or their families.

Even worse, unpaid internships often involve subtle age discrimination, because who can afford to pay tuition for an internship and work without pay?  Young people still living at home.  Or stay at home spouses maybe.  Older working folks could use that position to support themselves.  Lots of older people in this economy are back in school, as re-training really does help, and they might like to do an internship too.  But without a housing allowance, there isn't much of a way they can participate.

The best way to reduce crime and problems in our nation is to be reasonable to people in the workforce who are trying to get a better life and get away from families with problems like addiction, abuse, or crime.  Like think about how unpaid internships with no housing allowance discriminate against people who can't stay somewhere rent-free, like with family.  While it is all very nice and well to support white bread families with fun internships, it does little for society except make the well-to-do richer while making poverty/addiction/crime harder to surmount for individuals who want a better life.  They can't participate in the internship because their families of origin are not a healthy place to be.  The internship could be a paid position or offer housing.

Good points and very well thought out

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1040 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
Good points and very well thought out
You know my old name, right?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #1041 on: February 08, 2019, 02:22:16 PM »

Sounds bit like the medieval guilds, and look what happened to them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild
Fall of the guilds

An example of the last of the British Guilds meeting rooms c. 1820
As Ogilvie (2004) shows, the guilds negatively affected quality, skills, and innovation. Through what economists now call "rent-seeking" they imposed deadweight losses on the economy. Ogilvie says they generated no demonstrable positive externalities and notes that industry began to flourish only after the guilds faded away. Guilds persisted over the centuries because they redistributed resources to politically powerful merchants. On the other hand, Ogilvie agrees, guilds created "social capital" of shared norms, common information, mutual sanctions, and collective political action. This social capital benefited guild members, even as it hurt outsiders.[26]

The guild system became a target of much criticism towards the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. They were believed to oppose free trade and hinder technological innovation, technology transfer and business development. According to several accounts of this time, guilds became increasingly involved in simple territorial struggles against each other and against free practitioners of their arts.

Two of the most outspoken critics of the guild system were Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Adam Smith, and all over Europe a tendency to oppose government control over trades in favour of laissez-faire free market systems was growing rapidly and making its way into the political and legal system. The French Revolution saw guilds as a last remnant of feudalism. The Le Chapelier Law of 1791 abolished the guilds in France.[27] Smith wrote in The Wealth of Nations (Book I, Chapter X, paragraph 72):

It is to prevent this reduction of price, and consequently of wages and profit, by restraining that free competition which would most certainly occasion it, that all corporations, and the greater part of corporation laws, have been established. (...) and when any particular class of artificers or traders thought proper to act as a corporation without a charter, such adulterine guilds, as they were called, were not always disfranchised upon that account, but obliged to fine annually to the king for permission to exercise their usurped privileges.

Karl Marx in his Communist Manifesto also criticized the guild system for its rigid gradation of social rank and the relation of oppressor/oppressed entailed by this system. From this time comes the low regard in which some people hold the guilds to this day. In part due to their own inability to control unruly corporate behavior, the tide turned against the guilds.

Because of industrialization and modernization of the trade and industry, and the rise of powerful nation-states that could directly issue patent and copyright protections — often revealing the trade secrets — the guilds' power faded. After the French Revolution they fell in most European nations through the 19th century, as the guild system was disbanded and replaced by free trade laws. By that time, many former handicraft workers had been forced to seek employment in the emerging manufacturing industries, using not closely guarded techniques but standardized methods controlled by corporations.

Seems like we just keep bumping onto ourselves throughout history.

How about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Work-Study_Program

The Federal Work-Study Program, FWS, provides a method for postsecondary education students to earn funds that are used toward their education. The program was formerly known as the College Work-Study Program.[1] The FWS program helps students earn monetary awards towards their postsecondary education. The program is based on financial need and students must be accepted into the program to qualify.

Eligible college students join work programs through their college to earn money for tuition and other expenses. There are many different types of jobs that qualify for the program. Students are assured of receiving at least federal minimum wage for the duration of their employment. The FWS program helps to ensure that college students who are truly in need of the money get the jobs.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient's course of study.

Process[edit]
Federal Work Study funding is given to institutions to provide part-time work opportunities for students involved in certain majors. Federal funding is made to participating institutions based on requests made by the institutions. A statutory formula is used to help institutions determine the allocations to request. Once funds are allocated to each university, they then administer the funds. Once all the funds for the institution have been allocated no more students can participate that year.

Enard P Farkwark

• Full of It
  • KNYE
  • Something something danger zone.
« Reply #1042 on: February 08, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
I guess we can just shut down Wikipedia now... since most of the contents were just pasted here.
Babu!!!!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #1043 on: February 08, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »
I guess we can just shut down Wikipedia now... since most of the contents were just pasted here.

But dod you learn anything?   :o

sumethinz new

• KDWN
« Reply #1044 on: February 09, 2019, 05:45:42 AM »

You mean names, and yes. I'm not that big of a dunce

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1045 on: February 09, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »

How come you have new names?

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #1046 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »

👌

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1047 on: February 09, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
When I finished graduate school, the people who ended up in good jobs actually volunteered for a year and then got hired on.  Now really tell me, how many new graduates can afford to volunteer in the first place.  It's very unfair to people from small families or dysfunctional families, people who can't just live "at home".  That includes the stereotypical man trying to support a family, too.  I found it appalling to realize I would never work in my field because I had rent to pay and no one else to support me.  The whole reason I went through the program was to make a higher wage.  But the only was way to give away my skills for a year or move to Mississippi, or work with children.  But, that was not what I bargained for at all.
What field?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1048 on: February 12, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
What field?
Librarianship in Seattle. 

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1049 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:58 AM »
How come you have new names?
I have one new name, but it's not really that new.  Mostly I have an old name & I changed it because I saw something online about it relating to Hitler.  I don't need that.  I already feel guilty taking looks at George's mustache, because to me it is narrow enough to be reminiscent of Hitler.

Also, I haven't been feeling 14 anymore lately.