Author Topic: Dream Stuff  (Read 84579 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: Dream Stuff
« Reply #495 on: September 21, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »
Plenty last night.  First part I remember now was playing ice hockey.  I frequently dream of playing sports, but never before hockey.  In waking life I can't skate, so perhaps it was fitting I was playing goalie.  However, we were playing 2 a side, and we were playing at a high level.  Apparently this was pro hockey during the pandemic, with sides cut down to 2 to limit contagion and in an arena that was nearly empty.  Anyway, with 2 a side I actually had to skate out a bit, and we were doing well even with my lack of skill, leading 1-0 after a period, and then there was some confusion as to whether we were going to change ends.

Next thing I knew it was later and I was out on the street being questioned by a lady policeman who at least pretended to know a lot about me.  I was under suspicion as if I'd been an ex-con.  She asked me what I knew about "those deaths".  What deaths?  She explained that one was in the 1920s and the other in the 1930s.  I told her I didn't know anything about them.  As I explained to someone I knew after the police lady left, the questioner must not have known I wasn't born until 1954 and hence either had me mixed up with someone else or was bluffing about being knowledgeable about me.

I think it might've been after I got up for a while and went back to bed that I dreamed the next complex of events.  It was a group outing to a beach taking place right now to take advantage of off-season rates.  It was in "dream geography", which is where it's mostly like waking geography but incorporating some features that exist only in the dream world.  In this case that was a wide beach across what would otherwise be the Hudson valley, just slightly north of Manhattan and making the waters around it strictly salt water, with no major river flowing south into them.  Although our trip seemed it could've been a day trip, we'd rented cabanas as a group, and had a breathtaking view of Manhattan on a beautiful day from a bluff from which we'd have to walk down stairs to the beach.  Unfortunately beautiful as the day was, there's a reason for the off-season rates, as it was a little too chilly to go in the water, at least for me, which is fine because I hadn't brought any swimwear.

The cabanas were enclosed in a building, off an L shaped broad hallway, and a friend of mine, knowing it wasn't a great time of year to go in the water, brought something for us to pass the time: a math puzzle to work on with a Bowmar Brain -- an old brand of calculator that came up in a discussion I'd recently seen online in waking life.  Because the problem involved nested exponentiation, a certain expression in it could vary over an enormous range.  The object was to bracket the answer well enough to choose one of 5 choices.  I don't remember all of the problem, but I do remember quite a bit of it, showing once again that it's possible to see and recall such details in dreams.  I won't burden you with them here, however.  I'd made some progress on the problem while some others went down to the beach and yet others did I don't remember what.  Meanwhile outside there was a rich guy who owned a place in this complex and was trying to start one of a few cars he parked there.  He cranked a lot but it wouldn't turn over.  I offered to help, explaining that I had a doctorate but was not a clinician; at that point my father popped up to say I shouldn't lead people on like that.  Anyway, I walked over in open sandals, which hurt a little on the gravel and scrubgrass surface, and got in the car to work the gas pedal while the owner did something under the hood.  Eventually we gave up and I walked back to the cabanas with Elmer Fudd.  Yes, famous cartoon characters sometimes have cameos in my dreams.  He had a dog on a leash and was calling for my calculator as if it would answer by name, as he rounded the L turn in the hallway, "Hewe, Bowmaw Bwain!"

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #496 on: December 26, 2021, 07:51:08 PM »
A mention of Shemp Howard by Hearty White on WFMU a few nights ago is probably what set off my dream the following day.  I dreamed I recognized Shemp Howard on the street, though for a few seconds I wasn't sure he wasn't Moe.  I introduced myself to him, and next thing I knew I was inviting him into the house I grew up in in the Bronx.  From there we went to a cafeteria, where we got split up and I had some tricky to-do I don't remember with the food on my tray.  Then I was crossing the street at an intersection where an elaborate pedestrian overpass system had been built.  However, when I got close enough to it I realized it consisted of steel ramps only about 2 feet wide.  Not being sure this was it in its completed state, I disconnected one from one of its anchors to examine it, and then reconnected it.  Whatever, I decided that I'd rather cross at street level than try to tightrope-walk one of those.

Then I was back in my house, and Shemp was on his way in, but preceded by federal agents wearing brown caps.  I just wanted to make sure nobody tripped over the canister vacuum cleaner I'd left diagonally across the entrance foyer.  The feds didn't explain to me what their business was with Shemp, only that they were there for him, and he told me he'd explain later, but then I woke up.  I'm guessing it was some tax matter, but on another board someone said, "I always knew Shemp was a spy."

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2021, 12:47:10 PM »
A few days after my Shemp dream I dreamed I was in a new Mr. Magoo cartoon.  I remember seeing an uninked line drawing of Magoo's head at the opening, following which I was in it...as Magoo.  I dreamed I was at an archeologic site, not so much a dig as a demolition, and needed a place to urinate.  So I wound up opening my zipper and making a sissy on some partly demolished brick stairway.  Then I awoke, fearing that, as in the last time I dreamed of searching for a place to urinate and finding an unusual one, I'd wet the bed.  Fortunately I didn't.  When I posted about this elsewhere, the host (and DJ) wondered whether I'd say, "Oh, Magoo, you've done it again!"

Anyway, the pattern is as my late friend Charlie noticed long ago: that his spirit children would visit my dreams to experience Saturday morning children's TV programming.  Usually it was cartoons, but any of the 3 Stooges would fit the pattern too.