Author Topic: Classic Classic Movies  (Read 7416 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Classic Classic Movies
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
What!?!   Boring? Disappointing?  Did you not see Miss Torso?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*sigh*  Well, yeah.  She was the only highlight.

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
Speaking of Rear Window.  I decided to go on a Hitchcock binge.  I've only seen Psycho and The Birds.  So, I rented Rear Window since I'm a Jimmy Stewart fan.  What a boring movie.  Very disappointing.  I recently watched Dial M For Murder and I enjoyed that.  Strangers on a Train and Notorious are on the way.
Of those, Strangers on a Train is by far my favorite.  Robert Walker made a fantastic psychopath and is really the highlight of the movie.  Sadly, he died about a year after the film was released.  I would have loved to see him in similar roles, after Strangers on a Train.  From the trivia side of things, he was married to Jennifer Jones and they were the parents of Robert Walker, Jr., who, in my opinion, wasn’t nearly the caliber of actor as his father. 

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 06:28:58 PM »
If you’re on a Hitchcock binge, check out Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much, if you haven’t seen them before.  Vertigo now usually appears on lists as one of the best movies ever made.  Kim Novak was at her prime in the film.

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
If you’re on a Hitchcock binge, check out Vertigo and The Man Who Knew Too Much, if you haven’t seen them before.  Vertigo now usually appears on lists as one the best movies ever made.  Kim Novak was at her prime in the film.

Will do!  Thanks.  I'll add North By Northwest to the list as well.  That movie just crossed my mind.

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »
Will do!  Thanks.  I'll add North By Northwest to the list as well.  That movie just crossed my mind.
North by Northwest is excellent and one of my Hitchcock favorites.  Cary Grant at his finest.
Antaŭen kamaradoj!

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
  • All You Can Eat Spaghetti Mon - Fri
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »
Of those, Strangers on a Train is by far my favorite.  Robert Walker made a fantastic psychopath and is really the highlight of the movie.  Sadly, he died about a year after the film was released.  I would have loved to see him in similar roles, after Strangers on a Train.  From the trivia side of things, he was married to Jennifer Jones and they were the parents of Robert Walker, Jr., who, in my opinion, wasn’t nearly the caliber of actor as his father. 

WTF is up with his necktie?  Are those lobsters?!  I want that subliminal lobster bib!

Also, as stated in the Book Lodge, I "possess" a keen interest in the habits of nuns.  ::)

What Novak is wearing in that shot is nothing short of  stunnning.
Who knew Norway had such a shit-for-brains
government? They rejected a GOLDEN  opportunity
to dart  tranquilize humans who got too close to the
walrus! And could have dropped the wretched humans
into ~The Village~ ! Weak. Unforgivable.

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »
WTF is up with his necktie?  Are those lobsters?!  I want that subliminal lobster bib!

Also, as stated in the Book Lodge, I "possess" a keen interest in the habits of nuns.  ::)

What Novak is wearing in that shot is nothing short of  stunnning.
Heh, heh... I didn’t notice the crustacean-adorned neckwear but, fortunately, it has no critical role.  The lighter, however, is another matter. ;)

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

Up All Night

• Ellightened
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2021, 02:26:34 AM »
Alien: USCSS Nostromo | Ship Breakdown

Spacedock

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »
Watching the classic “Gilda” tonight, with Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford.  An excellent movie.  Rita sounds fantastic singing.  Except it isn’t her singing.  The best dubbing I’ve ever seen.  I dare you to watch and honestly say you can tell it’s not Rita singing.  This is no Kaiju flick.

“Anita Ellis dubbed the singing voices of such actresses as Rita Hayworth (notably in Gilda, 1946), Vera-Ellen and Jeanne Crain.Twenty-eight years after Gilda was released, entertainment writer Rex Reed reminisced in print about Ellis's voice: "I fell in love with Anita Ellis when I was 8 years old. ... Only I didn't know she was Anita Ellis, I thought she was Rita Hayworth. ... That was the sexiest voice in 1946, and it kept turning people on for years ..."

For her work in Gilda, Anita Ellis’s role in the film was greatly underplayed and even kept secret by the producers who wanted fans to believe Hayworth was the singer. They went as far as to put Rita Hayworth's name in the credit of the soundtrack instead of Anita Ellis. Hayworth also bore some resentment towards the studio for not allowing her to sing her own parts and the embarrassment it caused when she was asked to sing by fans who thought she was the voice of Gilda. There were claims made that Hayworth had sung the acoustic guitar version of 'Put the Blame on Mame' but this was untrue. Ellis dubbed all of the vocal parts since both their voices could not be used, Ellis's singing voice was too unlike Hayworth's for Hayworth's voice to be used in different parts of the film.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Ellis_(singer)

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

KSM

• Annoying Prick
  • Ellevated
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
Watching the classic “Gilda” tonight, with Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford.  An excellent movie.  Rita sounds fantastic singing.  Except it isn’t her singing.  The best dubbing I’ve ever seen.  I dare you to watch and honestly say you can tell it’s not Rita singing.  This is no Kaiju flick.

“Anita Ellis dubbed the singing voices of such actresses as Rita Hayworth (notably in Gilda, 1946), Vera-Ellen and Jeanne Crain.Twenty-eight years after Gilda was released, entertainment writer Rex Reed reminisced in print about Ellis's voice: "I fell in love with Anita Ellis when I was 8 years old. ... Only I didn't know she was Anita Ellis, I thought she was Rita Hayworth. ... That was the sexiest voice in 1946, and it kept turning people on for years ..."

For her work in Gilda, Anita Ellis’s role in the film was greatly underplayed and even kept secret by the producers who wanted fans to believe Hayworth was the singer. They went as far as to put Rita Hayworth's name in the credit of the soundtrack instead of Anita Ellis. Hayworth also bore some resentment towards the studio for not allowing her to sing her own parts and the embarrassment it caused when she was asked to sing by fans who thought she was the voice of Gilda. There were claims made that Hayworth had sung the acoustic guitar version of 'Put the Blame on Mame' but this was untrue. Ellis dubbed all of the vocal parts since both their voices could not be used, Ellis's singing voice was too unlike Hayworth's for Hayworth's voice to be used in different parts of the film.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Ellis_(singer)
@ItsOver I was curious so I Oogled the film. This trailer shows a little of what you speak of with regards to the vocal dubbing. Years ago I would never even have considered watching this movie but I think I will add it to my list. If memory serves, it's a pretty short list of three or less movies.
7&1

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2021, 11:26:26 AM »
@ItsOver I was curious so I Oogled the film. This trailer shows a little of what you speak of with regards to the vocal dubbing. Years ago I would never even have considered watching this movie but I think I will add it to my list. If memory serves, it's a pretty short list of three or less movies.

It’s a pretty good Noir film and one of Hayworth’s best.  She looks absolutely fabulous in it.  And Glenn Ford is feisty enough to take her on.

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2021, 03:02:11 PM »

ItsOver

• Ellightened
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2021, 09:15:43 AM »

KSM, Movies! is showing a collection of Glenn Ford Noir movies this Thursday, including “Gilda”.

https://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/?date=12/23/2021

“THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI” is another good Hayworth film, with Orson Welles, instead of Glenn Ford.  Welles pretends he’s Irish. ::) It’s just before the three Glenn Ford ones.  Also, later that day, there’s a decent Noir film, with Robert Mitchum and Faith Domergue, “Where Danger Lives.”

Antaŭen kamaradoj!

Up All Night

• Ellightened
  • N. Texas
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2022, 11:32:28 PM »

Went for the full Top Gun: Maverick treatment tonight. Dinner at Applebee's, and AMC full recliner leather seats.

The jet scenes, and there are many, are very intense. There are many heroic actions in this movie. There were emotional moments, and, many belly laughs as well. One scene in particular that was emotional, was the scene at a funeral, where a folded American flag, and a salute with rifles were presented.

The memorable music for me, was the Kenny Loggins song "Danger Zone," David Bowie's "Let's Dance," and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

"Don't think ... Use The Force Pete!!"

Up All Night

• Ellightened
  • N. Texas
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2022, 11:10:36 PM »