Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503378 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #585 on: November 21, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hope you all have a wonderful Cinerama Holiday.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #586 on: November 21, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving, Rikki!

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »
Wonderful Thanksgiving cards, Spookcat.  And a Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #588 on: November 22, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #589 on: November 23, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

I had never heard of Nellie Cashman.  I had to look her up.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Cashman  I don't know why, but for some reason she reminds me of Polka Dot's hot avatar.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #590 on: November 24, 2018, 05:20:16 PM »

Here is a fairly recent restaurant postcard, (only 34 years old) called the Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn.  Wonder of wonders, it is still in existence.  There are a number of period piece buildings all in a row, in addition to the lodge. If we are in the mood for some pizza, Bavarian style, then we should order the house special, the Frankenmuth Pizza. 
Toppings include chicken, bacon, bratwurst, green pepper, onion, garlic, Bavarian Inn sauerkraut, and a four cheese blend.
See you all there. 

History of the Frankenmuth Inn restaurant: https://bavarianinn.com/dine/restaurant-history/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #591 on: November 24, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »

Here is a fairly recent restaurant postcard, (only 34 years old) called the Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn.  Wonder of wonders, it is still in existence.  There are a number of period piece buildings all in a row, in addition to the lodge. If we are in the mood for some pizza, Bavarian style, then we should order the house special, the Frankenmuth Pizza.   See you all there. 

History of the Frankenmuth Inn restaurant: https://bavarianinn.com/dine/restaurant-history/

Interesting history and glad to see a family business still in operation over several decades. While that pizza sounds intriguing I think I will stick with the traditional menu fare but will join in the Schnitzelbank Song singing at the Lorelei Lounge over some German beer.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #592 on: November 24, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
They also have a great Glockenspiel at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth that tells the tale of the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Here is a little video that discusses the Glockenspiel's 50th Anniversary from 2017

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #593 on: November 24, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
They also have a great Glockenspiel at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth that tells the tale of the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Here is a little video that discusses the Glockenspiel's 50th Anniversary from 2017

I saw that. Cool. Here is vid for you to brush up on the song.... and a brief discussion of "D" and "T" sounds and other pronunciation stuff for @K_Dubb

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #594 on: November 24, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
I saw that. Cool. Here is vid for you to brush up on the song.... and a brief discussion of "D" and "T" sounds and other pronunciation stuff for @K_Dubb

Oh that is interesting.  Is there anyone who speaks German who can tell us if the und/unt pronunciation is regional?  In old war movies I associate the exaggerated "unt" pronunciation with squeaky-voiced officers doing what I take to be a Prussian caricature, but that's purely a guess.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #595 on: November 24, 2018, 11:14:48 PM »
You guys go ahead and sing away and I'll eat the wienerschnitzels and drink the beer.  (After I've polished off the pizza.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #596 on: November 25, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »

This looks like a fun place to eat.  It is located in Greene, New York and I had to research clues on the postcard to find it's location because there isn't a town or state listed on the back of the card.  The restaurant is still there despite a nasty fire that occured back on May 22, 1985.  http://www.thesilorestaurant.com/aboutus.php

Somewhere in my Silo research I came across a hamburger called the Haystack Burger but I lost sight of it.  Now I'm not sure if it was actually from the Silo, but that's OK, I'd be just as happy ordering the Seafood Oscar, a $31.95 dish that includes...
a Grilled Portabella Mushroom Cap topped w/ Lump Crab, Scallops, Shrimp & Hollandaise Sauce served over Grilled Asparagus Spears

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #597 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »

Here is a fun store receipt postcard from the Hall - Mack Company of New York.  I thought it would be a cinch to get some info on the business but I actually couldn't find anything on it.  Also, I'm not quite sure what was being ordered by Miss Williams.  Rose Time?  A wall plaque, or a title to a book?  I think that the 50 in front of it is the price, as in 50 cents, but I'm not sure.  There is a stamped date of May 20, 1918 on the store receipt, but wait...   

The post office cancellation date is May 20, 1913.  So who has the correct date?  The post office, of course.  I looked the stamp up just to be sure and found that it is a one cent Washington Single Line Watermark produced from 1912 to 1914.  But there is still some mystery concerning the postcard, in case anyone would like to look into it.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »
Oh that is interesting.  Is there anyone who speaks German who can tell us if the und/unt pronunciation is regional?  In old war movies I associate the exaggerated "unt" pronunciation with squeaky-voiced officers doing what I take to be a Prussian caricature, but that's purely a guess.
I'm pretty sure there is. I know there is a big differences, even whole word and common-phrase differences, between various types of "German" especially between the Southern/Alpine varieties (Bavarian, Austrian, Swiss, Tirol) and Northern and parts closer to the Low Countries. And 'German' ethnicities in what we know call Russia, Eastern Europe etc. I'm sure in the past the differences would've been even more pronounced as Germany was separate kingdoms, fiefdoms, etc and less travel and interaction between them. I thik a part of "High" versus "Low" German stuff.  The Amish, Mennonites, Hutterites, etc speak on old variety of High German that, I think, isn't really spoken there anymore? @K_Dubb

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

Here is a fun store receipt postcard from the Hall - Mack Company of New York.  I thought it would be a cinch to get some info on the business but I actually couldn't find anything on it.  Also, I'm not quite sure what was being ordered by Miss Williams.  Rose Time?  A wall plaque, or a title to a book?  I think that the 50 in front of it is the price, as in 50 cents, but I'm not sure.  There is a stamped date of May 20, 1918 on the store receipt, but wait...   

The post office cancellation date is May 20, 1913.  So who has the correct date?  The post office, of course.  I looked the stamp up just to be sure and found that it is a one cent Washington Single Line Watermark produced from 1912 to 1914.  But there is still some mystery concerning the postcard, in case anyone would like to look into it.

Would it be possible that the store date said 1913 but they had overinked the stamp and caused the 3 to bleed, looking like an 8?
Time spent with cats is never wasted.