Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512030 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 27, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
Would it be possible that the store date said 1913 but they had overinked the stamp and caused the 3 to bleed, looking like an 8?
That’s what it looks like to me.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #601 on: November 27, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »
Would it be possible that the store date said 1913 but they had overinked the stamp and caused the 3 to bleed, looking like an 8?

Very well could have been the case.  But interestingly, it didn't bleed on the 9 or the 2.  No, I think the office jerk was at work here.  He changed the last digit on the stamp just to see how long it would take Bertha the file clerk to notice. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #602 on: November 29, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As we have discussed earlier, an upside down stamp might be a symbol for I love you. 

But, as we look at the card's message, we see that it was written by Aunt Anna to her niece who was in the hospital.

Aunt Anna was nice enought to date her postcard.  December 13, 1916.  This takes us back to World War One and on this date, an avalanche killed hundreds of Austrian troops in Tyrol.  As the days passed, up to 10,000 troops (Both Austrian and Italian) would be killed by avalanches.  (Each side thought that the other was using the avalanches as a form or weaponry.)  https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soldiers-perish-in-avalanche-as-world-war-i-rages
Hundreds of Austrian troops stationed in a barracks near the Gran Poz summit of Mount Marmolada were in particular danger. Although the camp was well-placed to protect it from Italian attack, it was situated directly under a mountain of unstable snow. On December 13, approximately 200,000 tons of snow, rock and ice plunged down the mountain directly onto the barracks. About 200 troops were pulled to safety, but 300 others died. Only a few of the bodies were recovered.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #603 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »

As we have discussed earlier, an upside down stamp might be a symbol for I love you. 

But, as we look at the card's message, we see that it was written by Aunt Anna to her niece who was in the hospital.

Aunt Anna was nice enought to date her postcard.  December 13, 1916.  This takes us back to World War One and on this date, an avalanche killed hundreds of Austrian troops in Tyrol.  As the days passed, up to 10,000 troops (Both Austrian and Italian) would be killed by avalanches.  (Each side thought that the other was using the avalanches as a form or weaponry.)  https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soldiers-perish-in-avalanche-as-world-war-i-rages     

Addressed to someone at Iowa City's Mercy Hospital.

"Mercy Hospital traces its history to 1873 when the Superior of the Davenport house of the Sisters of Mercy entered into an agreement with the University of Iowa to operate a small hospital in the community. At the request of Davenport, Iowa physician Washington Freeman Peck the Superior sent a group of nuns to Iowa City to help staff the hospital. Dr. Peck and other physicians raised $5,000 to renovate a vacant school building known as Mechanics Academy into a 20-bed hospital. This arrangement lasted until 1885, when the Sisters moved to a nearby vacant mission. In 1886, the sisters established Mercy Hospital as an independent hospital. From 1911 to 1972 Mercy Hospital also operated a school of nursing which graduated more than 900 nurses."
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #604 on: November 29, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »
Addressed to someone at Iowa City's Mercy Hospital.

"Mercy Hospital traces its history to 1873 when the Superior of the Davenport house of the Sisters of Mercy entered into an agreement with the University of Iowa to operate a small hospital in the community. At the request of Davenport, Iowa physician Washington Freeman Peck the Superior sent a group of nuns to Iowa City to help staff the hospital. Dr. Peck and other physicians raised $5,000 to renovate a vacant school building known as Mechanics Academy into a 20-bed hospital. This arrangement lasted until 1885, when the Sisters moved to a nearby vacant mission. In 1886, the sisters established Mercy Hospital as an independent hospital. From 1911 to 1972 Mercy Hospital also operated a school of nursing which graduated more than 900 nurses."

Nice research there, Spookcat.  Way to go.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #605 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »
... As we have discussed earlier, an upside down stamp might be a symbol for I love you. 

But, as we look at the card's message, we see that it was written by Aunt Anna to her niece who was in the hospital...   

The upside down stamp thing wasn't limited to lovers.  Relatives and friends would also send them - for example lots of grandmothers, an in this case an aunt

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #606 on: November 30, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »
The upside down stamp thing wasn't limited to lovers.  Relatives and friends would also send them - for example lots of grandmothers, an in this case an aunt

Glad you noted that.  For some reason I thought it was limited to lovers.  Thanks, PB!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #607 on: December 01, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »

Here is one of the most unusual postcards in my collection. You have all heard of the upside down airplane stamps, now worth millions.  Well, here we have a postcard advertisement for American Airlines and you don't have to look close to see that the airplane is flying above some low clouds and further down, you can see a coastal land mass meeting the ocean.  You can actually see the white line of surf between land and sea.  Of course, the only thing wrong with the picture is that the airplane is flying upside down.  Not really, though.

Here is the same postcard, and the plane is still flying above the clouds, land and the ocean, only this time it is right side up.  Nice little illusion there, right?  I really didn't notice anything unusual until I happened to glance at the card while holding it upside down.

So, the postcard isn't worth anything, but it's still fun to look at.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #608 on: December 02, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »

Apparently this Crystal Grille was located in the basement of the Hotel Tuller in Detroit.  The building was pulled down in 1992.
History of the Hotel Tuller: http://www.forgottendetroit.com/tuller/index.html

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #609 on: December 03, 2018, 07:00:20 PM »

Some nice glassware shown on this postcard.  I didn't look all that hard but while I did see some Platinum Band - Danish Modern glassware, I didn't locate any that looked like the glasses shown on the postcard. 

They must be somewhat rare.  I think we ought to run over to Al's and take advantage of the ad.  We're only 51 years too late.  Who knows, perhaps he's got a dust covered box of the glasses, somewhere in the store's back storage area.

Oh oh, looks like Al didn't wait around for us.  He's remodeling swimming pools, now.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Bessie wishes her friend Leah a happy marriage, on January 2, 1911.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »

Some nice glassware shown on this postcard.  I didn't look all that hard but while I did see some Platinum Band - Danish Modern glassware, I didn't locate any that looked like the glasses shown on the postcard. 

They must be somewhat rare.  I think we ought to run over to Al's and take advantage of the ad.  We're only 51 years too late.  Who knows, perhaps he's got a dust covered box of the glasses, somewhere in the store's back storage area.

Oh oh, looks like Al didn't wait around for us.  He's remodeling swimming pools, now.
Seems like a good deal. 

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/fegdamp.htm

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #612 on: December 04, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

Bessie wishes her friend Leah a happy marriage, on January 2, 1911.

Her son? 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34625689/george-h-pritchard

SPEER, IL - George H. "Jack" Pritchard, 89, formerly of Speer, died at 11:44 p.m. Thursday, June 16, 2005, at Heritage Manor Nursing Home, Chillicothe, IL, where he was a resident since February 9, 2005.

Born October 6, 1915, in Lawn Ridge, Illinois, the son of Joseph and Leah Estelle [Estell] Pritchard, he married Marjorie Malone on February 23, 1952, in Lawn Ridge, IL. She preceded him in death on January 21, 1990, in Toulon.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #613 on: December 04, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
Her son? 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34625689/george-h-pritchard

SPEER, IL - George H. "Jack" Pritchard, 89, formerly of Speer, died at 11:44 p.m. Thursday, June 16, 2005, at Heritage Manor Nursing Home, Chillicothe, IL, where he was a resident since February 9, 2005.

Born October 6, 1915, in Lawn Ridge, Illinois, the son of Joseph and Leah Estelle [Estell] Pritchard, he married Marjorie Malone on February 23, 1952, in Lawn Ridge, IL. She preceded him in death on January 21, 1990, in Toulon.

You bet it is.  Good find, mr. a.  And also her husband, old Joe himself: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34628373/joseph-pritchard

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #614 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »

You bet it is.  Good find, mr. a.  And also her husband, old Joe himself: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34628373/joseph-pritchard
It would appear that the marriage was successful after all per sender's wishes.