Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427221 times)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #885 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »
       From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June 12, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lavender.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #886 on: June 12, 2019, 08:42:18 PM »
I defer to @Sofia   ;)
As long as she's not frowning, there's nothing that won't look good on her for the next fourteen years.  Especially baby blue.  Lavender would be lovely.  Darker colors stay nice longer.  I recommend modesty; it's courteous to older women.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #887 on: June 12, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »
Just put your feet behind your ears and tell him it's too big, he won't even know what color you were wearing.
Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #888 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:54 AM »
Gray
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #889 on: June 13, 2019, 06:36:41 AM »
I had three great uncles who fought in World War One.  Their were Loyd, Lyle and Elmer Head.  They had joined the National Guard in Iowa and they went overseas to France as part of the famous Rainbow Division. The three brothers got to stay together after their arrival in France but Elmer was later transferred elsewhere.

On July 15, 1918, shortly after midnight, the German army attacked the line at Champagne that was held by the Rainbow Division.  Loyd was killed by a high explosive shell during the battle.  The Germans were held off and I read somewhere that they were unable to advance anywhere after this engagement and that it was all backwards for them from that point on.

Here is a biography that had been written about Loyd by some members of the American Legion Post that had been named after him.  They had written Loyd's name with two L's when he actually only had one L in his first name.
@Rikki Gins
Is this the grave for your great Uncle Loyd?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58551605/loyd-w-head

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #890 on: June 13, 2019, 06:42:17 AM »
Just put your feet behind your ears and tell him it's too big, he won't even know what color you were wearing.

Did you miss the part where she is fifteen?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #891 on: June 13, 2019, 07:06:09 AM »
Here is a nice project called Romanovs100 that has lots of photos of the Tsar and his family. 

https://www.instagram.com/romanovs100/

I especially like this picture of Grand Duchess Maria:

It would take a cold blooded communist indeed to shoot her in the head...................
@Walks_At_Night
Great photos of Tsar and his family. To this day, I wish that the anti-Bolshevik “White” Russians rescued this family.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #892 on: June 13, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
@Rikki Gins
Is this the grave for your great Uncle Loyd?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58551605/loyd-w-head

It surely is.  Thank you, FISH.  The only previous image I had of the headstone was a photocopy sent to me by my great Aunt Bernice.  (My grandmother's sister.)  Not much info on his Find A Grave listing.  I definitely have to sign up and supply some biographical notes and  dates for him.  Thanks for giving him that nice, red poppy!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #893 on: June 13, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Thank you @Bart Ell, @GravitySucks, @FISH, @Walks_At_Night, @Mr Apnea, @anniem, @Kwisatz Haderach, @Spookcat, @Sofia, @sean92008, and @juan for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Everyone who had the color blue in their answer wins, so congratulations GravitySucks, FISH, Mr Apnea, anniem and Sofia.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #894 on: June 13, 2019, 02:05:23 PM »
Mrs. Thompson lacks creativity.
Merry Christmas

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #895 on: June 13, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
Mrs. Thompson lacks creativity.

LOL!

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #896 on: June 13, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »
Gray
@juan it is a shame that her eyes were not gray.  ::)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #897 on: June 13, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
It surely is.  Thank you, FISH.  The only previous image I had of the headstone was a photocopy sent to me by my great Aunt Bernice.  (My grandmother's sister.)  Not much info on his Find A Grave listing.  I definitely have to sign up and supply some biographical notes and  dates for him.  Thanks for giving him that nice, red poppy!
Yes, it is time for you to join Find A Grave @Rikki Gins
Loyd W Head needs a date of birth and copies of his biography posted.  He made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. I never knew much about WW1. I started working on family trees. I had to learn more history to understand the documents that I was reading on Ancestry.   Find A Grave is free and a great resource for completing a family tree.

Due to the kindness of strangers and Find a Grave, a 130 year old family mystery was solved for me. No one in my family knew the name of my great grandfather's first wife. We only knew that he married her younger sister (my great grandmother) after her death.
One kind stranger found this posting on FIND A GRAVE for me-- Mrs. O'Brien, Birth: unknown, Death: Jun 3 1881. Note: Laundress, Co M, 3rd U.S. Cav. FRANCIS E. WARREN AIR FORCE BASE CEMETERY (old Fort Russell).

On FIND A GRAVE, I requested a photo of "Mrs. O'Brien" grave marker.

Another member on Find a Grave, wrote back to me: In reference to your request for a photo of Mrs. O'Brien's tombstone in F.E. Warren AFB Cemetery, this grave is not locatable. The following explanation is provided:
"Mrs. O'Brien, Running Number 117. Mrs. Mary A. Fenton died June 30, 1881, and is buried in grave B-117. There is some evidence to indicate that she was, at the time of her death, married to Private John O'Brien, Company M, and 3rd Cavalry.

Long story short, this Mrs. O'Brien was my great grandfather's first wife.  I was able to complete the information on my great grandparents and my great aunt. I have a photo of her grave marker. I have hit a brick wall in my family tree. My family is in a county poor house in Pennsylvania and it is 1782.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #898 on: June 13, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »
@Walks_At_Night
Great photos of Tsar and his family. To this day, I wish that the anti-Bolshevik “White” Russians rescued this family.

Yes.  I agree FISH    :'(

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #899 on: June 13, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Yes, it is time for you to join Find A Grave @Rikki Gins
Loyd W Head needs a date of birth and copies of his biography posted.  He made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. I never knew much about WW1. I started working on family trees. I had to learn more history to understand the documents that I was reading on Ancestry.   Find A Grave is free and a great resource for completing a family tree.

Due to the kindness of strangers and Find a Grave, a 130 year old family mystery was solved for me. No one in my family knew the name of my great grandfather's first wife. We only knew that he married her younger sister (my great grandmother) after her death.
One kind stranger found this posting on FIND A GRAVE for me-- Mrs. O'Brien, Birth: unknown, Death: Jun 3 1881. Note: Laundress, Co M, 3rd U.S. Cav. FRANCIS E. WARREN AIR FORCE BASE CEMETERY (old Fort Russell).

On FIND A GRAVE, I requested a photo of "Mrs. O'Brien" grave marker.

Another member on Find a Grave, wrote back to me: In reference to your request for a photo of Mrs. O'Brien's tombstone in F.E. Warren AFB Cemetery, this grave is not locatable. The following explanation is provided:
"Mrs. O'Brien, Running Number 117. Mrs. Mary A. Fenton died June 30, 1881, and is buried in grave B-117. There is some evidence to indicate that she was, at the time of her death, married to Private John O'Brien, Company M, and 3rd Cavalry.

Long story short, this Mrs. O'Brien was my great grandfather's first wife.  I was able to complete the information on my great grandparents and my great aunt. I have a photo of her grave marker. I have hit a brick wall in my family tree. My family is in a county poor house in Pennsylvania and it is 1782.

What fascinating information.  Thank you @FISH, for sharing some of your family history with us.