Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1428197 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #3600 on: November 18, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Canntaireachd (Scottish Gaelic for "chanting) is the ancient Scottish Highland method of notating Piobaireachd, an art music genre primarily played on the Great Highland Bagpipes. These long and complex theme and variation tunes were traditionally transmitted orally by a combination of definite vocable syllables.
How does one learn how to play the bagpipes? You need a practice chanter and a teacher. You do not need to know how to read music. The teacher sings the songs for the student. This is how one learn the music. For at least one year, the student practices the music on their chanter.  Once the student learns the little music, they may order their Scottish Highland bagpipes.  Now, the student learns how to play music on their bagpipes.  ::)

Since John’s passing over, I have spoken with Chip on the phone. Chip chants songs for me using the canntaireachd method, including my favorite song “Hector the Hero.”
Some believe that chanting brings pure happiness. I believe you, @Aquarius know about the rewards from chanting. I am not surprised that you can relate to my comment.  :)
Correct @PolkaDot . It is amazing.
+ ALWAYS.

Dear @FISH.  The sound of bagpipes can move me to tears.  About ten or fifteen years ago, I was in a local cemetery, paying my respects to World War One dead on Memorial Day.  Off in the distance, I could hear someone playing the bagpipes.  I walked over and found a guy all dressed up in bagpipe clothing, standing on a flat, open concrete slab with a covered top.  I was the only one there and it was really cool because he seemed to enjoy me listening to him.  I began to chat with him in between songs.  They all sounded great, but then he started in on one that really hit me emotionally.  I don't know, there was something extra special about it, and, at certain parts of the song, the player would do these interesting hop, skip little dance moves.  When he finished I asked him what the song's title was and wouldn't you know, I totally forgot what it was by the time I got home.  I do remember him explaining the song to me though.  It had something to do with a small brook by a certain town, and of course, the WWI soldiers from that town would have loved to hear it being played by their regimental piper.  I have spent a lot of time searching for the song online, but with no success.  Still, it was one of those moments in life that one never forgets.  I really enjoyed listening to the fellow play the bagpipes.     

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3601 on: November 18, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
I have spent a lot of time searching for the song online, but with no success.

This comes to mind.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3602 on: November 18, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »
This comes to mind.

Oh, that is a sweet tune, Bart.  That could be it, though it has been so many years.  I could have sworn that the spring or babbling brook had a name of a town attached to it, but who knows?  I love the song, thank you.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3603 on: November 18, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
       From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., November 17, 1919.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Drunk, Says He Was Robbed
       It doesn't pay to get drunk and
       then tell the police you've been
       held up.  It cost Henry Funck of
       Muscatine a fine of $10 and costs
       in police court Saturday.  Funck
       told the police a masked bandit
       armed with a revolver, relieved
       him of $490 and a diamond ring
       Thursday night near the Walnut
       Hill school, Rockingham.  He was
       locked up when he reported the
       incident to the police at midnight.
       Saturday he wasn't sure whether
       he had spent the money in Rock
       Island, where he went from Mus-
       catine for whisky.  He admitted
       that he had been drinking.  The
       police charged him with intoxica-
       tion.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3604 on: November 18, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »
From the Imperial War Museum, November 19, 1919.

Gertrude Giltinan, Voluntary Aid Detachments. Died of influenza contracted on duty 19 November 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205380418 © IWM (WWC H2-169)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3605 on: November 19, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »
                    From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

Feel free to answer D.J.'s question, but Mrs. Thompson will comment about engagement rings in general, in case you would like to fish for some extra points.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #3606 on: November 19, 2019, 01:34:38 AM »

Feel free to answer D.J.'s question, but Mrs. Thompson will comment about engagement rings in general, in case you would like to fish for some extra points.
You should wear a ring as an outward sign of your promise. It need not be expensive or flashy and the same ring may be worn before marriage as a sign of engagement and then after as a wedding band. I’m sure Mrs. T will throw in something about not being overly concerned about what others think all while encouraging decorum.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3607 on: November 19, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »
Dear DJie,
Your question is confusing. Are you, in fact, engaged? If so, then yes, you should wear it. Think of the backbreaking hours of labor it cost him. It represents the love and commitment and the promises you made to each other.
Also, it will remind you to never travel to Rock Island for whiskey. There’s trouble there.
Merry Christmas

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3608 on: November 19, 2019, 04:24:19 AM »

If you have one you should wear one.
if he couldn't afford to get you one then find a real man who can provide for you.
If your finger got too fat for the ring then expect him to leave you any day now.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3609 on: November 19, 2019, 06:13:08 AM »
Dear DJie,
Your question is confusing. Are you, in fact, engaged? If so, then yes, you should wear it. Think of the backbreaking hours of labor it cost him. It represents the love and commitment and the promises you made to each other.
Also, it will remind you to never travel to Rock Island for whiskey. There’s trouble there.
I realize that I failed to answer the actual question. The answer is yes, you will be less thought of. If fact, the harpies on your block will convince themselves you won’t wear it because you travel to Rock Island every weekend for whiskey and foolishness.
Merry Christmas

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #3610 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:26 AM »

It's all about what you think and others think.  Don't worry about others.  Do what you feel comfortable with.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3611 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:02 AM »

No

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3612 on: November 19, 2019, 05:08:56 PM »
Dear @FISH.  The sound of bagpipes can move me to tears.  About ten or fifteen years ago, I was in a local cemetery, paying my respects to World War One dead on Memorial Day.  Off in the distance, I could hear someone playing the bagpipes.  I walked over and found a guy all dressed up in bagpipe clothing, standing on a flat, open concrete slab with a covered top.  I was the only one there and it was really cool because he seemed to enjoy me listening to him.  I began to chat with him in between songs.  They all sounded great, but then he started in on one that really hit me emotionally.  I don't know, there was something extra special about it, and, at certain parts of the song, the player would do these interesting hop, skip little dance moves.  When he finished I asked him what the song's title was and wouldn't you know, I totally forgot what it was by the time I got home.  I do remember him explaining the song to me though.  It had something to do with a small brook by a certain town, and of course, the WWI soldiers from that town would have loved to hear it being played by their regimental piper.  I have spent a lot of time searching for the song online, but with no success.  Still, it was one of those moments in life that one never forgets.  I really enjoyed listening to the fellow play the bagpipes. 
Our @Rikki Gins , if the bagpipes made you cry, you were really listening to the story. You don’t need to remember the name of the song, you were paying your respects to the fallen Veteran from WW1. I would enjoyed seeing this piper do his dance. The Great War with its great loss of life, makes me sad.
During WW1, there were pipers not holding guns but bagpipes. I cannot imagine going “Over The Top” only holding a set of pipes. “The Ladies From Hell” was a nickname applied to the kilted units of the British and Canadian armies in the First World War.
One famous song, written by Pipe Major William Laurie (1881-1916) is “Battle of the Somme.”  It is almost mandatory to play "Battle of the Somme" if you are going to dance a Scottish Lilt Jig.
“Battle of the Somme” is not linked to the military maneuver of retreating in or from battle but is linked to the idea of refuge and safety in the camp.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3613 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
From the Imperial War Museum, November 19, 1919.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205380418 © IWM (WWC H2-169)

Godspeed, Gertrude Giltinan.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3614 on: November 19, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »

NO
Not sure how Mrs. T. feels about engagement rings. I guess she will mention, love and commitment and self esteem.