Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34457 times)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »
The Wheel of Time Series which I had read about 150 of is being released on Amazon in a day or two. Much like Game of Thrones which I had read about 45 of before they mercifully released that on HBO so it could end

Sorry about the run-on sentences but they do justice to the greediness of Jordan and Martin who certainly knew how to milk the cow until it mooed "STOP!" and then continued on
@TigerLily
Run-on sentences are completely acceptable forms of communication and self expression in this joint.
 We all grok.  ;D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:37 PM »
@KSM @ShayP  @THRUST MEATNOZZLE

After many years of investigation
      I discovered Bruce's secret.

That sneaky wanker!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hahaha  Sneaky Wanker is also a great name for a band!

There seems to be something very wrong with that movie poster but I'm not gonna go there.  @ShayP will. Thanks in advance buddy :)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2021, 06:04:33 AM »
There seems to be something very wrong with that movie poster but I'm not gonna go there.  @ShayP will. Thanks in advance buddy :)

Ha!  ;D  Oh I could say something but I won't.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »
33) KINSHIP WITH ALL LIFE (1976)

by J. A. Boone

I picked this book because it was cited by

@KSM 
@THRUST MEATNOZZLE

on page 8 / post 109 of this topic.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2021, 08:17:35 PM »
Books read in 2021

34) A LITTLE NIGHT READING (1974)

by Dave Allen

As a boy, I watched The Dave  Show on PBS. I liked how Allen would end the show each night:

"Goodnight, and may your god go with you."

(The recently deceased Alan Hawksaw, noted in the Celebrity Deaths topic,  composed theme music for the show.)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2021, 11:15:51 PM »
33) KINSHIP WITH ALL LIFE (1976)

by J. A. Boone

I picked this book because it was cited by

@KSM 
@THRUST MEATNOZZLE

on page 8 / post 109 of this topic.
Fantastic.  Glad I brought it up and I hope you enjoy it.

It is a delightful lil' book.

NOT_BEELZEBUBBELAH

• KIDD
  • With you still am i...
Re: Katzenjammer Typography & The Book Lodge...
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
@TigerLily
Run-on sentences are completely acceptable forms of communication and self expression in this joint.
 We all grok.  ;D
====================================
'Allo!
Noted i the obscure word popularised in vernacular of the youthquake generation here,'Grok'.!
Couldn't resist i finding this source reference to it:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Another famous resident of Laurel Canyon, apparently in the 1940s, was science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein, who reportedly resided at 8775 Lookout Mountain Avenue. Like so many other characters in this story, Heinlein was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and he had served as a naval officer. After that, he embarked on a successful writing career. And despite the fact that he was, by any objective measure, a rabid right-winger, his work was warmly embraced by the Flower Power generation.

Heinlein’s best-known work is the novel Stranger in a Strange Land, which many in the Laurel Canyon scene found to be hugely influential. Ed Sanders has written, in The Family, that the book “helped provide a theoretical basis for Manson’s family.” Charlie frequently used Strange Land terminology when addressing his flock and he named his first Family-born son Valentine Michael Manson, in honor of the book’s lead character.

David Crosby was a big Heinlein fan as well. In his autobiography, he references Heinlein on more than one occasion, and proclaims that, “In a society where people can go armed, it makes everybody a little more polite, as Robert A. Heinlein says in his books.” Frank Zappa was also a member of the Robert Heinlein fan club. Barry Miles notes in his biography of the rock icon that his home contained “a copy of Saint-Exupery’s The Little Prince and other essential sixties reading, including Robert Heinlein’s sci-fi classic, Stranger in a Strange Land, from which Zappa borrowed the word ‘discorporate’ for [the song] ‘Absolutely Free.’”
Reciprocitickly

'Beelzebubbelah'
PS:
NO Logo:
][ 7VF ][
PPS:
Dave Magowan:'R.I.P.'
i will make my krills look like random accidents or ssuicides,impulsive homicides,and will not take credits in the newspapers or on tee-vee....there will be more...

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re: Katzenjammer Typography & The Book Lodge...
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »
====================================
'Allo!
Noted i the obscure word popularised in vernacular of the youthquake generation here,'Grok'.!
Couldn't resist i finding this source reference to it:
Another famous resident of Laurel Canyon, apparently in the 1940s, was science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein, who reportedly resided at 8775 Lookout Mountain Avenue. Like so many other characters in this story, Heinlein was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and he had served as a naval officer. After that, he embarked on a successful writing career. And despite the fact that he was, by any objective measure, a rabid right-winger, his work was warmly embraced by the Flower Power generation.

Heinlein’s best-known work is the novel Stranger in a Strange Land, which many in the Laurel Canyon scene found to be hugely influential. Ed Sanders has written, in The Family, that the book “helped provide a theoretical basis for Manson’s family.” Charlie frequently used Strange Land terminology when addressing his flock and he named his first Family-born son Valentine Michael Manson, in honor of the book’s lead character.

David Crosby was a big Heinlein fan as well. In his autobiography, he references Heinlein on more than one occasion, and proclaims that, “In a society where people can go armed, it makes everybody a little more polite, as Robert A. Heinlein says in his books.” Frank Zappa was also a member of the Robert Heinlein fan club. Barry Miles notes in his biography of the rock icon that his home contained “a copy of Saint-Exupery’s The Little Prince and other essential sixties reading, including Robert Heinlein’s sci-fi classic, Stranger in a Strange Land, from which Zappa borrowed the word ‘discorporate’ for [the song] ‘Absolutely Free.’”
Reciprocitickly

'Beelzebubbelah'
PS:
NO Logo:
][ 7VF ][
PPS:
Dave Magowan:'R.I.P.'

Thanks , BeelZ!

Books read in 2021

34) A LITTLE NIGHT READING (1974)

by Dave Allen

As a boy, I watched The Dave  Show on PBS. I liked how Allen would end the show each night:

"Goodnight, and may your god go with you."

(The recently deceased Alan Hawkshaw, noted in the Celebrity Deaths topic,  composed theme music for the show.)

Edits
 The Dave Allen Show

Fantastic.  Glad I brought it up and I hope you enjoy it.

It is a delightful lil' book.

It is arriving this week. Looking forward to it.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
My Brother is currently reading The Gulag Archipelago. He insists it’s a must read. I’m not sure I have the stomach for it.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2021, 08:24:21 PM »
My Brother is currently reading The Gulag Archipelago. He insists it’s a must read. I’m not sure I have the stomach for it.

The original is long, 3 volumes, 7 sections, something like 1800 pages.  I'm not sue if the paperbacks that have come out are just the first volume, or a condensed version.  You could start with 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' instead.

I read Gulag Archipelago years ago, and was combing through used book stores looking for the last volume.  One place had a copy in the basement under ''Boring Fiction''.  Welcome to San Francisco.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
@Camazotz Automat By any chance did you read the Frank Herbert, Dune series?  There is a new Dune movie out and I want to watch it but suspect I may may not be doing myself any favors without having read the 1st book, first.

curious

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2021, 09:18:06 PM »
@Camazotz Automat By any chance did you read the Frank Herbert, Dune series?  There is a new Dune movie out and I want to watch it but suspect I may may not be doing myself any favors without having read the 1st book, first.

curious

Just listen to the song, To Tame a Land by Iron Maiden.  That's the CliffsNotes version of the book.  ;D

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »

curious

Yes, @KSandM I read up to and finished Chapterhouse: Dune.

I did not read the posthumous Dune prequel and sequel novels written by Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert with co author Kevin J. Anderson.

I tend to agree; it would be a good idea to read the first book prior to watching the movie if you can.

I read Chapterhouse Dune in '86 or '87. More than enough time has passed that I may read the series again next year. If I do, I may also brave the ones typed by Brian and Anderson.

Supposedly, the three sequels after Chapterhouse are based on Frank Herbert's left behind notes and outline for the series / story arc.

If I read the series as ebooks next time, I might pretend I am reading The Orange Catholic Bible on a portable device! LOL

(That is a somewhat obscure Dune reference joke. And also technically, an incorrect analogy. Paul's portable OCB was a mechanical device, not a computer. If I remember right, it was similar to densely packed, highly flexible, ultra thin microfiche. The reason for the mechanical rather than computer approach is explained in Dune book 1. Little details like that in the story fascinated me. But I have forgotten much.)

For me, as far as memorable impressions, the first Dune book rates up there with Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird,  Stephen King's The Stand, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Slaughterhouse-Five.

Some stories just stick with you.

Highly recommend. 

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2021, 10:25:15 AM »
Yes, @KSandM I read up to and finished Chapterhouse: Dune.

I did not read the posthumous Dune prequel and sequel novels written by Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert with co author Kevin J. Anderson.

I tend to agree; it would be a good idea to read the first book prior to watching the movie if you can.

I read Chapterhouse Dune in '86 or '87. More than enough time has passed that I may read the series again next year. If I do, I may also brave the ones typed by Brian and Anderson.

Supposedly, the three sequels after Chapterhouse are based on Frank Herbert's left behind notes and outline for the series / story arc.

If I read the series as ebooks next time, I might pretend I am reading The Orange Catholic Bible on a portable device! LOL

(That is a somewhat obscure Dune reference joke. And also technically, an incorrect analogy. Paul's portable OCB was a mechanical device, not a computer. If I remember right, it was similar to densely packed, highly flexible, ultra thin microfiche. The reason for the mechanical rather than computer approach is explained in Dune book 1. Little details like that in the story fascinated me. But I have forgotten much.)

For me, as far as memorable impressions, the first Dune book rates up there with Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird,  Stephen King's The Stand, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Slaughterhouse-Five.

Some stories just stick with you.

Highly recommend.
Duly noted.
Thank you
May the Spice be with you.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »
Books read in 2021

35) MURGUNSTRUMM AND OTHERS (1977)