Author Topic: Ask Bart Anything  (Read 741790 times)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
Re: Ask Bart Anything
« Reply #1095 on: October 09, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Dear Bart,

Why does Bellbriggab show 272 users but only 9 names? Including mine. So now only 8?

#BestGabIsEllGab
The forum software can be modded to make those numbers you see at the bottom of the forum main page higher than they really are. The Bellgab numbers, especially the inflated "Guests" numbers, are probably not real.

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #1096 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
The forum software can be modded to make those numbers you see at the bottom of the forum main page higher than they really are. The Bellgab numbers, especially the inflated "Guests" numbers, are probably not real.

Is that your Maltese Terrier.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #1097 on: October 09, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
Disgusting!  I would boycott.
Definitely.  Burn the place down!
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1098 on: October 09, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »
Is that your Maltese Terrier.
Yes ... that was Bo'. He passed away in 2012 at the age of 14. I currently have another Maltese, one of our four rescues at the moment...

Happier Times are Coming

• Ellevated
  • senda is NOT lookin’ good…thinkin’ LAST season ??
« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
I did not have sex with that woman.
ROTFL...
oh, sorry...but it brought to mind the last time I heard someone state that...
...“FAT, STUPID, GASPING FOR AIR
and STEALING FROM AMISH CHARITY
  is NO WAY to go through LIFE son”
             Bishop Wormer
       LaGrange County, Indiana

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
Dear Bart,

Why does Bellbriggab show 272 users but only 9 names? Including mine. So now only 8?

#BestGabIsEllGab

They are search engine spiders. I had the option to turn them off from showing as guests so I did.
They are real hits but they are about 95% bots just crawling the site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

@tootsie_wootsy  @TigerLily

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »

They are search engine spiders. I had the option to turn them off from showing as guests so I did.

I knew Bart would have the answer.. he's so smart among other great things  :) ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Praise BE

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »

Spiders would account for some of them, but I really think he has upped the base count for the "Guests" numbers, especially if the "Guests" numbers stay consistently high and so out of proportion. There have been some interesting discussions on false forum numbers over the years. This forum software is one where they came up with a mod to change the numbers several years ago to make it easier to do.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=468913.0

Ms. C

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
I knew Bart would have the answer.. he's so smart among other great things  :) ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Praise BE

Yes!!!  And thanks for the links!  I am learning so much new stuff ...

Praise Bart Ell

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Spiders would account for some of them, but I really think he has upped the base count for the "Guests" numbers, especially if the "Guests" numbers stay consistently high and so out of proportion. There have been some interesting discussions on false forum numbers over the years. This forum software is one where they came up with a mod to change the numbers several years ago to make it easier to do.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=468913.0

Could be, the number here dropped by about 120 when I stopped them from showing as guests... and that is with the majority of the pages not being crawled because they are behind a log-in.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
Could be, the number here dropped by about 120 when I stopped them from showing as guests... and that is with the majority of the pages not being crawled because they are behind a log-in.
I also noticed that the link below "Users Signed In Now" on Bellgab is disabled. If it is enabled (like it is on Ellgab, you have labeled it as Users Online), clicking on it will reveal log information on the logins including time and action even for "Guests". Since it is disabled on Bellgab, you can't see this information. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was suggested to disable this if one was to inflate the numbers (I will preface this by saying it has been a few years since working with forums but I do remember some of the discussions about forum number stats).

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »
I also noticed that the link below "Users Signed In Now" on Bellgab is disabled. If it is enabled (like it is on Ellgab, you have labeled it as Users Online), clicking on it will reveal log information on the logins including time and action even for "Guests". Since it is disabled on Bellgab, you can't see this information. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was suggested to disable this if one was to inflate the numbers (I will preface this by saying it has been a few years since working with forums but I do remember some of the discussions about forum number stats).

I kept most of the default settings here.
All you wrote makes sense.
I don't see the sense in it, though... but I also don't shove a cucumber down my pants to enhance, either.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
I don't see the sense in it, though... but I also don't shove a cucumber down my pants to enhance, either.
I have found that most of the time the defaults are good, especially when first setting the forum up. Some of the forum software versions have so many options it is almost overwhelming in the beginning. It is the curse of a high level of customization. I have also found that a forum configuration is never completely finished, it is always a work in progress. The tweeking never ends.

I know the amount of time required to set up and run a forum properly, so I know the amount of time you and the volunteers put into this place and the associated website and the Bartcasts. Ellgab is a real success story: you take a bad situation (Bellgab closing), take quick action, and invent something better. Hats off to you and the volunteers here!

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1108 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »
I have found that most of the time the defaults are good, especially when first setting the forum up. Some of the forum software versions have so many options it is almost overwhelming in the beginning. It is the curse of a high level of customization. I have also found that a forum configuration is never completely finished, it is always a work in progress. The tweeking never ends.

I know the amount of time required to set up and run a forum properly, so I know the amount of time you and the volunteers put into this place and the associated website and the Bartcasts. Ellgab is a real success story: you take a bad situation (Bellgab closing), take quick action, and invent something better. Hats off to you and the volunteers here!

#Legacy to you

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »

Thanks for answering our question. Interesting information. And I'm sure you just don't want the cucumber to feel jealous
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"