Author Topic: The Bartcast  (Read 333637 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: The Bartcast
« Reply #840 on: September 09, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
It's interesting if you watch a lot of British tv they have hired people who've obviously been told to amp up their native dialects.  Very different from the old BBC.

My brain does not allow me to separate out nuances of the spoken word. I tested off the charts in language aptitude when I went into the air force but it was all written questions mainly pattern matching and figuring out grammar. I can’t even tell which language others are speaking when I am hearing a foreign language. Hand me a newspaper and ai can usually tell you the subject of the article. Speak it to me and my mind goes numb.

If two people are speaking with a british and an australian accent I can tell you they are different but can’t tell you which is which unless they use a word like “barbie”.
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #841 on: September 09, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »
If Bluejay's karma was a penis he'd be hung like a horse. Gadzooks! Currently at 469! I'm just in and out of double digits what with being a jackass and all..  tough gig.

Remember, you specifically asked for that smiting
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #842 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
My brain does not allow me to separate out nuances of the spoken word. I tested off the charts in language aptitude when I went into the air force but it was all written questions mainly pattern matching and figuring out grammar. I can’t even tell which language others are speaking when I am hearing a foreign language. Hand me a newspaper and ai can usually tell you the subject of the article. Speak it to me and my mind goes numb.

If two people are speaking with a british and an australian accent I can tell you they are different but can’t tell you which is which unless they use a word like “barbie”.

...like any good American, born without that ear finely tuned to class distinction.  No Englishman could say the same.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #843 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
Although I have since lost it, I used to be able to tell where people came from. My accuracy was extremely high and, often very helpful in business because of the flattery involved.

I occasionally messed up between Thai and Filipina because, I can't hear their voices when I'm looking at them 😀
Eh, nevermind...

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #844 on: September 09, 2018, 10:02:56 PM »
LOL   :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mama knows best.   ;)

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #845 on: September 09, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
It reminds you of what you could have sounded like if your worthless criminal ancestors hadn't been chased out and forced to live in this dump instead.

Happy to help. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

There, there, now, ducks.  Have a cuppa.  Mind, it's a bit waterlogged - been floating in the harbour awhile.   ;)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #846 on: September 09, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
There, there, now, ducks.  Have a cuppa.  Mind, it's a bit waterlogged - been floating in the harbour awhile.   ;)i

Guess what...  One of my cats snuggled up to me after a rough day that I had... His purring turned into snoring.  Didn't you just ask me like a week ago about catsnore?
Eh, nevermind...

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #847 on: September 09, 2018, 10:38:23 PM »
Guess what...  One of my cats snuggled up to me after a rough day that I had... Is purring turned into snoring.  Didn't you just ask me like a week ago about catsnore?

I surely did!  He's comforting you!

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #848 on: September 09, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
Guess what...  One of my cats snuggled up to me after a rough day that I had... His purring turned into snoring.  Didn't you just ask me like a week ago about catsnore?

The feline version of white noise.   :)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #849 on: September 10, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »
I surely did!  He's comforting you!

Yeah, my fur babies are real affectionate and they understand what I go through. My daughter's insisted upon them shortly before I have a major surgery and they were entertaining me while they were bonding too. Five years later and they still follow me around the house as a group many times a day.  I do believe that they are reincarnated from previous furbabies we've had.

To be completely honest, there's a lot of times that I think I need to stay alive as long as possible for their needs. There are some medical quirks that only I deal with, the others have refused to look for the symptoms or help in treatment.
Eh, nevermind...

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #850 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:16 AM »
Yeah, my fur babies are real affectionate and they understand what I go through. My daughter's insisted upon them shortly before I have a major surgery and they were entertaining me while they were bonding too. Five years later and they still follow me around the house as a group many times a day.  I do believe that they are reincarnated from previous furbabies we've had.

To be completely honest, there's a lot of times that I think I need to stay alive as long as possible for their needs. There are some medical quirks that only I deal with, the others have refused to look for the symptoms or help in treatment.
What a comforting thought that your current cat is a reincarnated from a previous cat. Wishing you better days in the future.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #851 on: September 10, 2018, 12:52:08 AM »
Well there is, actually.  We're familiar with racial discrimination in this country but in England, where everyone crammed on their tiny little island historically looks more-or-less the same, they've had to find other ways to step all over each other, and accent status is one.  We really have no idea in this country what it's like.  It's a product of the same pernicious human impulse, and the associations of status with accent are no more respectable.

This is, frankly, balls. It's just typical of the ingrown cretinism running rife in that doghole of a country. Just look at Trump mocking Sessions's accent. Look at the way East Coast types break into their toothless hick voice when they want to attack someone for being stupid. You mistake not believing in class to not having any class. Just because I sound like I ought to be commanding a regiment of Lancers about to reduce an Indian city to ash and rubble you hold it against me. My accent will get me served at the bar every time before your 'aw shucks' Everyman effort.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #852 on: September 10, 2018, 01:17:25 AM »
This is, frankly, balls. It's just typical of the ingrown cretinism running rife in that doghole of a country. Just look at Trump mocking Sessions's accent. Look at the way East Coast types break into their toothless hick voice when they want to attack someone for being stupid. You mistake not believing in class to not having any class. Just because I sound like I ought to be commanding a regiment of Lancers about to reduce an Indian city to ash and rubble you hold it against me. My accent will get me served at the bar every time before your 'aw shucks' Everyman effort.

My original accent was a lot more yokel. The Rhoicity stuff - the map shows a west bias of that and I can attest to that having grown up in rural West Berkshire. My Rrr’s were off the charts, a spell in London of 20 odd years soon beat that out of me, and I have the estuary not quite posh verging on middle class accent you all hear me with. That is not to say I can’t do a Wyngarde when in the US to get top notch service or scare the shit out of people at a poker table (don’t know why, but it works). I can slip into a West Country burr very very easily and will demonstrate next time if someone wants. 
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #853 on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »
My original accent was a lot more yokel. The Rhoicity stuff - the map shows a west bias of that and I can attest to that having grown up in rural West Berkshire. My Rrr’s were off the charts, a spell in London of 20 odd years soon beat that out of me, and I have the estuary not quite posh verging on middle class accent you all hear me with. That is not to say I can’t do a Wyngarde when in the US to get top notch service or scare the shit out of people at a poker table (don’t know why, but it works). I can slip into a West Country burr very very easily and will demonstrate next time if someone wants.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SX3A-ifME

Or karaoke. A couple of pints of Scrumpy Jack is all it takes, I bet.

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #854 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »

I'll bet you're really sweet once you scrape all your bristles off.   :P