Author Topic: PP Movie Review Thread.  (Read 2858 times)

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
PP Movie Review Thread.
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »
I want to start keeping better track of the films I watch and my feelings on them. I will rate movies here on a scale of 1-10 and give a few thoughts. My scale is heavily weighted towards the middle, meaning a 5 is a perfectly acceptable but probably forgettable movie experience.

To start off I will say my favorite movie going experience of the year has been Ari Aster's Midsommar. It's a slow burn folk horror, film in the vein of the original Wicker Man only much better in my opinion.  The cinematography and directing were beyond impressive. There were several shots that on a technical level made my jaw drop.  Equally beautiful and disturbing, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: PP Movie Review Thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:08:03 PM »
I will watch your highest rated movie of the month.
Don't screw this up!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:26 AM »
After the original Blues Brothers movie, the industry has submerged. I mean, you don’t get better dialog than:
Ray, we’ll take these axes.
A’s a good country key.
We had a sound powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.
How much for your women? How much for the little girl?
Just toast, ma’am.
Merry Christmas

FightTheFuture

• KMST
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood/i]

I love this movie. It's kind of like a Love Story by Quentin Tarantino to Hollywood. I remember those days well; hollyrock was kind of transitioning out of the old golden era. Very interesting time.
 I can tell you Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio had great chemistry. The movies a little long. Almost 3 hours I think. But well worth it. You'll love the ending. Which I won't give you any hint about. The only thing I really didn't like about it, was the way they treated Bruce Lee which was kind of bullshit.
พระเจ้าอวยพรหมูป่า !!

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
After the original Blues Brothers movie, the industry has submerged. I mean, you don’t get better dialog than:
Ray, we’ll take these axes.
A’s a good country key.
We had a sound powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.
How much for your women? How much for the little girl?
Just toast, ma’am.
One of the best movies!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Joliet Jake: Hit it!

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood/i]

I love this movie. It's kind of like a Love Story by Quentin Tarantino to Hollywood. I remember those days well; hollyrock was kind of transitioning out of the old golden era. Very interesting time.
 I can tell you Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio had great chemistry. The movies a little long. Almost 3 hours I think. But well worth it. You'll love the ending. Which I won't give you any hint about. The only thing I really didn't like about it, was the way they treated Bruce Lee which was kind of bullshit.
Def on my to do list this weekend. Usually I see a Tarantino film on premiere night so I'm lagging behind

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »
Def on my to do list this weekend. Usually I see a Tarantino film on premiere night so I'm lagging behind

Thus far his best ones have been Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

I read somewhere that he would be retiring, if that’s such a thing in Hollywood, is this his last one?
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »
Thus far his best ones have been Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

I read somewhere that he would be retiring, if that’s such a thing in Hollywood, is this his last one?
This is 9 and he says after the tenth.  I agree about pulp and reservoir dogs. I'd even say they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »
This is 9 and he says after the tenth.  I agree about pulp and reservoir dogs. I'd even say they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Definitely
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
My friend Bob here and I enjoyed it immensely.  I was impressed even just by the assemblage of all those vintage cars on the street.

When I saw "PP Movie Review", I thought, who'd want to watch movies of that?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
One fun thing about Once Upon a Time is that in the middle of it, there's a conversation-digression with Bruce Lee that starts out like the ones about tipping, hamburgers, and Dutch coffee houses in those, but then it takes a more interesting turn.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »

Disappointed because my friend Damon was part of the creative team.  See the Lost thread.

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

It was a decent way to spend an hour and a half, but nothing that will stick with me in a meaningful way. I grew up with the book series, and several of the stories are faithfully represented here. It has some nice Halloween imagery and I probably would have enjoyed it more in late September/October.  I would compare it to the recent Goosebumps movies, but a slight step up in maturity.  The pacing was decent and I never really felt bored, but ultimately I just wasn't invested in the characters enough to have real emotional stake in the film.  A nice piece of "gateway drug" horror geared more towards a younger audience, I'll give it a 5/10.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
I see that Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul are working on a movie to show what happened to Jesse Pinkman after Breaking Bad. That one I want to see.
Merry Christmas