Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41239 times)

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
@WOTR  Some of todays laminates are really, really good and it's very hard to scratch it up so with a little maintenance it stays pristine.  As for hardwood products I go with a high quality engineered. Still pricey but less than the alternatives. One thing to keep in mind is that hardwood costs at least double what a good laminate costs. Oh, hardwood costs waaay more to have installed than laminate.  I'm not pushing laminate but rather giving you something to consider.  Shop around and remember, Home Depot never delivers on time and their installers are usually no better than the average guy advertising his services on Kijiji for fuck sakes.
Thanks @ksm32.  I did install a high quality laminate a few years back (diagonal to the room as I liked the look more.)  Truth be told, it was almost a decade ago, and I'm considering a change to the old style narrow hardwood for fun.  I just dread the install and if it is not prefinished and the work that goes with it.  But I have always liked the looks of it...

Maybe I will look closer at the engineered products (or maybe I will just face the fact that changing out flooring because "you want a change" is stupid.)  ;)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Two hour bedroom makeover. Get your floors done, people!!!
Nice work!  It takes me that long to get the furniture out, old carpet and pad out, tack strips, scrap the floor, etc!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
@albrecht   THAT is a discussion I have upon viewing a job and meeting the customer for the first time. If there is carpet currently installed I will ask them whether or not THEY will be ripping it out etc including baseboard removal. They'll ask if they save money doing things that way and I'm like, hell yeah although I don't say it like that.  Breathing in all that trapped dust etc that carpet releases when pulling it all up is not my cup o' tea. But sometimes they don't want to do it, or they're elderly and can't do it. Sooo, I do it and charge the extra. Try and keep the cost down for older folks on fixed $ so my Mr. nice guy comes out and I'll hire a grunt for $10. an hour to rip the old floor out keeping the cost down.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
@albrecht   THAT is a discussion I have upon viewing a job and meeting the customer for the first time. If there is carpet currently installed I will ask them whether or not THEY will be ripping it out etc including baseboard removal. They'll ask if they save money doing things that way and I'm like, hell yeah although I don't say it like that.  Breathing in all that trapped dust etc that carpet releases when pulling it all up is not my cup o' tea. But sometimes they don't want to do it, or they're elderly and can't do it. Sooo, I do it and charge the extra. Try and keep the cost down for older folks on fixed $ so my Mr. nice guy comes out and I'll hire a grunt for $10. an hour to rip the old floor out keeping the cost down.
Yeah. Nice you look after costs for older folks. I don't do it for a living but a few times at my place and after one I ended up hiring dudes like you to knock out the wood and make it look good and done quick than my "learning on the job." Ha. But ripping out and taking to the dump the old stuff etc I've done and its is pain with the dust etc. One time I had all the carpet and padding in my truck and it rained. Ha. Poor truck was looked like the Okie's truck on their way west. Shocks all down, swaying with every turn, carpet is HEAVY when soaked...haha.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Yeah. Nice you look after costs for older folks. I don't do it for a living but a few times at my place and after one I ended up hiring dudes like you to knock out the wood and make it look good and done quick than my "learning on the job." Ha. But ripping out and taking to the dump the old stuff etc I've done and its is pain with the dust etc. One time I had all the carpet and padding in my truck and it rained. Ha. Poor truck was looked like the Okie's truck on their way west. Shocks all down, swaying with every turn, carpet is HEAVY when soaked...haha.
Soaked carpet and pad? Yeah that's a job nobody wants. I've had countless cuts and dirty bleeding scratches from taking out and removing tack strip thus shattering my hopes on eventually becoming the worlds highest paid hand model ;D

And why the fuck do some installers call those nasty strips "smooth edge" :-\

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
Spiral staircase. Stressful to take on but very rewarding in the end. Falling down stairs like these almost seem pleasurable because you really get a great inside look at all the detail that went into such an installation.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
More stairs, beautiful hardwood :) It's almost a shame to step on them/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
Spiral staircase. Stressful to take on but very rewarding in the end. Falling down stairs like these almost seem pleasurable because you really get a great inside look at all the detail that went into such an installation.
Hey that is some good work! You know before the damn regulators and codes one could see some crazy good wood work on stairs. You still can still in some rural properties or, for example, if you go to Holland, Denmark, etc where they have these narrow houses with multifloors and the stair cases are crazy to twist around and get up with saving space. I once asked "how the F does an old person handle these" and the reply was: they move out. Like less than an inch on the inside and not, technically, spiral staircases.  No codes about rise/run/nose etc, it seems!
ps: there is a mystery staircase in SF, New Mexico in some church. Supposedly some church needed stairs and a random carpenter came in and built it with no supporting column and in space to get up etc. Miracle they claim.  Internet says "not so." They charge however to look at it, so I didn't, except peek in. Nice work, even if not a miracle.

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »

That looks fantastic. your work is very impressive.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
ps: there is a mystery staircase in SF, New Mexico in some church. Supposedly some church needed stairs and a random carpenter came in and built it with no supporting column and in space to get up etc. Miracle they claim.  Internet says "not so." They charge however to look at it, so I didn't, except peek in. Nice work, even if not a miracle.

@albrecht  That sounds really familiar, think I heard about it long before I ever did this for a living. Was that that story a featured segment on something like unsolved mysteries?  Very interesting and it's better work than I could do ;D

That looks fantastic. your work is very impressive.
Thank you.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 03:35:47 AM »
Bless you, KSM.  You are a good man, and a kind soul. :-*
+1 Karma ;)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »
Bless you, KSM.  You are a good man, and a kind soul. :-*
+1 Karma ;)
@StarrMountain  Thank you for the kind words:)  No need to waste a click +1ing me, others will soon erase it. I'm a bad man ;D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:39 AM »
Hardwood over slab AKA cement/concrete is a real bitch of an installation because it's a glue down and vice situation, and man it is time consuming. The $$$ is really good for these jobs but I hate them nonetheless. This job (pictured) is part of a before & after kitchen & dining room shot of a rental suite in a house. Why somebody would pay big bucks for an expensive hardwood floor and installation is mind boggling to me as the tenants rarely care about a quality floor of that caliber. Most landlords do it right and have an inexpensive laminate product put in and call it a day.

I can't believe how awesome my thread is. ;D

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Ooh! Nice avatar! Lovely work on the floors as well.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 12:22:17 AM »
Ooh! Nice avatar! Lovely work on the floors as well.
Thank you, twice. :)