Author Topic: Ask Bart Anything  (Read 741830 times)

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
Re: Ask Bart Anything
« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
Dear Bart,

I had a water leak that, while replacing some damaged drywall, ended up doing a whole dining room remodel alone.  Adding crown molding, ultra fancy baseboards, new fixtures, a new color scheme, etc., etc...  My kids have blown smoke up my ass multiple times, they either truly love it or or are banking some kiss ass for future needs.

Now I am getting shit for the rest of this ugly house, bad color schemes, old drywall patches, etc...

I can barely walk to the end of the block, but don't trust most contractors and am aesthetically OCD... Do I act as my own tryrannical general contractor and be a holy terror to those I hire or hire a remodeler and monitor them continuously and be a pain in their ass?

Yeah.  That sounds like fun.  As long as you got the money to pay them, they will smile and eat shit.  And ask for seconds.  Yeah, I like that.   A  lot.

I don't mean to steal Bart's thunder. 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
Dear Bart,

I had a water leak that, while replacing some damaged drywall, ended up doing a whole dining room remodel alone.  Adding crown molding, ultra fancy baseboards, new fixtures, a new color scheme, etc., etc...  My kids have blown smoke up my ass multiple times, they either truly love it or or are banking some kiss ass for future needs.

Now I am getting shit for the rest of this ugly house, bad color schemes, old drywall patches, etc...

I can barely walk to the end of the block, but don't trust most contractors and am aesthetically OCD...  Do I act as my own tryrannical general contractor and be a holy terror to those I hire or hire a remodeler and monitor them continuously and be a pain in their ass?

I hire somebody to do the work but buy everything needed myself. I also watch them like a hawk from my director's chair.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #392 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Dear Bart,
A friend of mine has recently started his own business. He has all the gear and nearly 40 years experience with recording, mixing, mastering and remastering audio for music and podcasts, and creating production music. (Some of his music has appeared on the BBC and on TV.)

He has made a website, advertised on fiverr, facebook, myspace, freelancer.com and instagram.  All business cards, videos and sample demos are ready to go.

Is there a productive place to advertise that is missing from this list?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Not to steal Bart's thunder.....
I would suggest he handwrite messages on the shitter walls of every men's room he can possibly get to.  A captive audience is an attentive audience.  He could use the predrilled holes in the walls for punctuation.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
Dear Bart,
A friend of mine has recently started his own business. He has all the gear and nearly 40 years experience with recording, mixing, mastering and remastering audio for music and podcasts, and creating production music. (Some of his music has appeared on the BBC and on TV.)

He has made a website, advertised on fiverr, facebook, myspace, freelancer.com and instagram.  All business cards, videos and sample demos are ready to go.

You came to the right place!
Your pal Bart knows a thing or two about this.
Sadly the best way to get work is from connections.
People are cheap and looking for free so Fiverr and the like will usually result in bids not worth the effort.
Your best option is finding a decent size podcast  that needs some help and to offer it in return for plugs.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #394 on: August 07, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
You came to the right place!
Your pal Bart knows a thing or two about this.
Sadly the best way to get work is from connections.
People are cheap and looking for free so Fiverr and the like will usually result in bids not worth the effort.
Your best option is finding a decent size podcast  that needs some help and to offer it in return for plugs.
Thank you, that is what I was thinking might be the case. If you get too busy with side work at any point in the future, I would happily recommend him in a pm.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #395 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Not to steal Bart's thunder.....
I would suggest he handwrite messages on the shitter walls of every men's room he can possibly get to.  A captive audience is an attentive audience.  He could use the predrilled holes in the walls for punctuation.

I'm just throwing this out there, Dyna.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #396 on: August 07, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
Thank you, that is what I was thinking might be the case. If you get too busy with side work at any point in the future, I would happily recommend him in a pm.

Another option is making HOW-TO videos for YouTube.
Mixing / mastering tips, how to use compression, reviews of plug-ins... 
I know a few people who abandoned actual production work and just teach on their YouTube channels.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #397 on: August 07, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
I'm just throwing this out there, Dyna.
;D Almost all advertising is one step away from "For a good time call #" The only difference is the quality of the result.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
;D Almost all advertising is one step away from "For a good time call #" The only difference is the quality of the result.
;D ;D

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
Another option is making HOW-TO videos for YouTube.
Mixing / mastering tips, how to use compression, reviews of plug-ins... 
I know a few people who abandoned actual production work and just teach on their YouTube channels.
He's considered this and has a apprentice paying for this knowledge already. Its tricky to be able to tell just enough without putting out a free meal.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
;D ;D

You are the BEST, man!   ;D ;D ;D    ;)

PRAISE, Paladin! :-*

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
He's considered this and has a apprentice paying for this knowledge already. Its tricky to be able to tell just enough without putting out a free meal.

Offer the bread and water on YouTube and the meal on Patreon.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
Dear Bart,

Contact the local big name musicians, concert promoters, radio stations and schools with music programs...

I have anecdotal stories that would make you think of riches and fame.

This song, in fact was recorded by a touring Oasis in a Texas town...  When creativity strikes, the promoter knew where to send Noel.

Eh, nevermind...

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »
Contact the local big name musicians, concert promoters, radio stations and schools with music programs...

I have anecdotal stories that would make you think of riches and fame.

This song, in fact was recorded by a touring Oasis in a Texas town...  When creativity strikes, the promoter knew where to send Noel.

Thank you and +1 Sean, he had mentioned that there was kind of a drought in his area (decent sized city) for doing this kind of work. Its just a matter of getting the momentum going and keeping it going.

There are so many talented folks here on different topics. I've learned more here already than probably a year in college in some ways.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
« Reply #404 on: August 08, 2018, 12:25:24 AM »
Dear Bart,

What would light look like if you were traveling the speed of light?