Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1447073 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ben Chapman
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #1845 on: August 13, 2019, 04:53:23 AM »
Just like you, I admire Mrs. T. I did not know how she “does it”. All Those letters from unbetrothed maidens, blackhead suffers and worried mothers must take a toll on Mrs. T.
Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson and Mrs. Lydia Pinkham bring great comfort to these hysterical worried readers during these trying times.
I do not want to get too personal @Rikki Gins  . However, you may want to shave the palm of your hands.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@FISH, Interestingly, Elizabeth has an  interest in the paranormal, from a 1919 standpoint, that is.  (Spiritualism was still fairly popular back then.)  I think that it's one reason why she almost grasps the fact that I am indeed a man visiting her from the future.  I have tried to tell her about Art and have encouraged her to cut back on her advice columns and get into early day radio broadcasting but it's pretty much fallen on (her) deaf ears, especially since radio wont actually catch on until the 1920s.  I think that she will stick with the printed word, after all there aren't any recordings of a lady who, back in 1919, had a radio show where she explored subjects of a paranormal nature.  As far as shaving my palms, no thanks.  Someone once cajoled me into rolling black ink onto a palm and applying it to a white sheet of paper.  I've never known what became of the palm print and I think that the person who owned it has probably (and sadly) died.               

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1846 on: August 13, 2019, 05:31:02 AM »
Your name is in how many EXCHANGES? These strangers want to marry you? So after TWO outings with a new gentlemen, you want to drop all the others?
My answers from “my sources say.” Please excuse my mind @Rikki Gins . I see 3 questions.

1-No it is not unfair to correspond with others. Remain a lady at all times. You should not make plans that depend on something good happening before you know that it has actually happened.
2-Once it is true that you and your new gentlemen friend have a real relationship, you should write a brief note that you are no longer corresponding in the EXCHANGE.
3-No. Do not be a drop out at this time. You are in the initial phase with establishing a relationship with this bachelor. You do not know if your relationship will bloom with “auto man.”  Finding a bachelor who is quiet and has no bad habits may appear to be a great find. First appearances maybe deceiving. Every time a serial killer is arrested, his neighbors often remark “he was so quiet and had no bad habits.”

“Don't count your chickens before they hatch.” Since you sent me a letter with 2 or 3 questions, this demonstrates your doubts. Once a lady finds mister right, she does not write a letter to Mrs. T.
PS: the lady’s mother writes a letter to Mrs. T.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1847 on: August 13, 2019, 05:56:54 AM »
@FISH, Interestingly, Elizabeth has an  interest in the paranormal, from a 1919 standpoint, that is.  (Spiritualism was still fairly popular back then.)  I think that it's one reason why she almost grasps the fact that I am indeed a man visiting her from the future.  I have tried to tell her about Art and have encouraged her to cut back on her advice columns and get into early day radio broadcasting but it's pretty much fallen on (her) deaf ears, especially since radio wont actually catch on until the 1920s.  I think that she will stick with the printed word, after all there aren't any recordings of a lady who, back in 1919, had a radio show where she explored subjects of a paranormal nature.  As far as shaving my palms, no thanks.  Someone once cajoled me into rolling black ink onto a palm and applying it to a white sheet of paper.  I've never known what became of the palm print and I think that the person who owned it has probably (and sadly) died.               
Oh poor Mrs. T.
I can hear her grasping…her grasping sound waves has travel to the EAST coast. Please @Rikki Gins do not tell Mrs. T. about your attempt to bring other people back to 1919.
It is for the best that Mrs. T. did not become the initial “thing” that goes bump in the night. Can you imagine going into Mrs. T.’s office and everything is covered in ectoplasm? And letters from Mr. Arthur Conan Doyle thrown all over the place.
I hope you are not a serial killer. That inked palm print will get you arrested.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1848 on: August 13, 2019, 06:59:41 AM »
                                      From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

Feel free to offer Gray Eyes some advice and answer the two questions, for a chance at winning a total of three points.

Yes
Yes
Yes

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ben Chapman
« Reply #1849 on: August 13, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »
Thank you @Bart Ell, @juan, @Walks_At_Night, @Mr Apnea, @BartEllProducer, @GravitySucks, @Starbuck Twitch and @FISH, for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Kind of a surprising answer from Mrs. Thompson.  While everyone called for Gray Eyes to quit the exchange and go with Mr. No Habits guy, Mrs. T. has advised her to remain a member until, she hastens to add, an engagement with the quit man takes place.  Interesting to note that Mrs. Thompson isn't a fan of matrimonial bureaus.  She likes love to develop the old fashioned way.  This quiz shows us that Mrs. Thompson will on occasion, have a contrary answer to a question with such an apparent, forgone conclusion.  We might want to remember this for future quizzes.  FISH was close on some of her magic 8-ball answers, but they tended to reverse track and head the other way, as if the ball was trying to cover a number of bases in order to catch a point.  But that's alright because whenever everyone zeros out, Mrs. Thompson likes to offer up a quiz that will generate lots of points and if there are lots of possible points, then we will make it a Double Points Wednesday.  Stand by.  The next quiz is a real doozy.        

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1850 on: August 13, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »
Thank you @Bart Ell, @juan, @Walks_At_Night, @Mr Apnea, @BartEllProducer, @GravitySucks, @Starbuck Twitch and @FISH, for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

Kind of a surprising answer from Mrs. Thompson.  While everyone called for Gray Eyes to quit the exchange and go with Mr. No Habits guy, Mrs. T. has advised her to remain a member until, she hastens to add, an engagement with the quit man takes place.  Interesting to note that Mrs. Thompson isn't a fan of matrimonial bureaus.  She likes love to develop the old fashioned way.  This quiz shows us that Mrs. Thompson will on occasion, have a contrary answer to a question with such an apparent, forgone conclusion.  We might want to remember this for future quizzes.  FISH was close on some of her magic 8-ball answers, but they tended to reverse track and head the other way, as if the ball was trying to cover a number of bases in order to catch a point.  But that's alright because whenever everyone zeros out, Mrs. Thompson likes to offer up a quiz that will generate lots of points and if there are lots of possible points, then we will make it a Double Points Wednesday.  Stand by.  The next quiz is a real doozy.        
::)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ben Chapman
« Reply #1851 on: August 13, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »

At first glance, there appears to be only 3 points available for this quiz.  But not so fast.  Three questions, yes, but Mrs. T. will offer up to eight pieces of advise concerned with dining in a hotel restaurant.  She will then list 6 food items for lunch or dinner, followed by two dessert items.  Then Mrs. Thompson will give three items of info regarding traveling on a train for the first time.  And as if that weren't enough, for the first time in the history of the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say game, there will be a bonus question worth ten big points.  And the question is...  How much should Miss Cracker tip the porter when the train ride has ended?  Oh yes, as a warning to everybody, make your guesses correlate with the amount of answers that Mrs. Thompson has given.  She will be meticulously counting everybody's answers, especially FISH's unpredictable magic 8-ball.  If you go over, you will get a zero for that particular question.  (There is no limit on the 'what to wear' question, just give it your best shot.)  Good luck and have fun.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1852 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »
You order what you want.
Dress properly.
Use the salad spoon for salad.
leave a tip.

Meatloaf
Steak
Broiled beef
Chicken gumbo
Tomato soup
Lamb

Pudding
Custard pie

Wear your Sunday best around the hotel.

Try to get a window seat.
Do not kick the seat in front of you.
Stay seated unless you have to drop a mondo duke.

TIP - TWO BITS

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #1853 on: August 13, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
Cracker,

1.  Hotel eating - In general, you will select an entry of the menu that may have several items.  For example - a roast turkey plate that may come with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, beans, etc.  Some times you can order "ala carte" which means you get just that item only. So ala carte turkey is just turkey.  The menu for luncheon and supper will typically differ in selection, size of meal and price. If by chance the hotel offers breakfast it might be a standard breakfast or a "continental breakfast" which is lighter fare and of a limited selection.

In a nice hotel, there is a Maitre D that handles reservations ( a good idea to place for dinner seating ), a head waiter, an assistant waiter, a wine steward and a bus boy who will take away dishes and the like.

For supper do not let the head waiter suggest any of that Flank Steak bullshit on you - get the London Broil!

Other Mrs Thompson favorites are Beef Wellington, Mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, potato soup, dinner rolls and apple pie for dessert.

2. What to wear in the hotel
Dress smartly but comfortably during the day.   At night wear your best clothes.

3. Riding the train

Try and get a window seat on the train if you can - looking at the country side is enjoyable.  If you can avoid the cars up near the locomotive it might be best as you will want to avoid the train smoke.  If it is a long trip, you might want a berth in a sleeper car as that is more comfortable.
Also do not be surprised if you see a fat lady hitting a kid in the train station.  Every time, Mrs. T. has taken a train, there was a fat lady hitting a kid in the train station.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1854 on: August 13, 2019, 05:18:00 PM »
Dear Cracker
First of all, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much more accomodating a hotel is than the back seat of your beau's Flivver. A Ford just doesn't have as much room.

1. As for eating, you will sit at a table and order from a menu. You may order anything on the menu, but some things are grouped - such as steak and potatoes or chicken and dumplings. Many hotels offer a complete meal of several courses and you may choose from options within the courses. For lunch you are frequently offered a lighter fare such as pear salad, or maybe even a hamburger sandwich. Hotels frequently serve pie or ice cream for dessert. Be sure to use the correct utensils to avoid embarassment.

2. If you are outside your room, wear your best clothes just as you would if going to town.  In your room when not expecting company, a house dress would be sufficient. At night, your best nightwear. Be sure to keep appropriate robes nearby in case you need to get up.

3. Be careful on trains as various drummers and peddlers tend to occupy them. Do not talk to strangers. Wear your best clothes. Stay in your seat unless visiting the dining car.  There, ordering food is very much like at a hotel. And you should be polite to the porter and tip him a dime for his service.

Merry Christmas

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1855 on: August 13, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »

At first glance, there appears to be only 3 points available for this quiz.  But not so fast.  Three questions, yes, but Mrs. T. will offer up to eight pieces of advise concerned with dining in a hotel restaurant.  She will then list 6 food items for lunch or dinner, followed by two dessert items.  Then Mrs. Thompson will give three items of info regarding traveling on a train for the first time.  And as if that weren't enough, for the first time in the history of the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say game, there will be a bonus question worth ten big points.  And the question is...  How much should Miss Cracker tip the porter when the train ride has ended?  Oh yes, as a warning to everybody, make your guesses correlate with the amount of answers that Mrs. Thompson has given.  She will be meticulously counting everybody's answers, especially FISH's unpredictable magic 8-ball.  If you go over, you will get a zero for that particular question.  (There is no limit on the 'what to wear' question, just give it your best shot.)  Good luck and have fun.

Dammit. I find myself spending more time on questions like this than Mrs T ever did. And I am supposed to be on holiday.

1. Usually from a menu where you may be able to order appetizers, a complete meal, then dessert or order all the items ala carte. Unless it is a prix frix menu or a buffet. Order sensibly and stick with foods you know you like. Don’t drink coffee or tea too late in the evening or you may have trouble sleeping.

2. Sensible pastel summer linen dresses are always appropriate. Stay away from audacious bright colors. Floral prints may not go well with the upholstery and the hotel drapes.

3. Carry some reading material and a small hand fan. Don’t eat a large meal before getting on the train or while traveling. An apple or two carried with may make the trip more enjoyable.
Are we having fun yet?

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #1856 on: August 13, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
@Rikki Gins while the rest of these suckers ramble on, is there any chance that we may know what region this said hotel may be in? For instance, there would be a significant difference, especially given the era, if it were to be above or below the mason dixon line. When I think about it, there still is a fairly decent difference.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ben Chapman
« Reply #1857 on: August 13, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
@Rikki Gins while the rest of these suckers ramble on, is there any chance that we may know what region this said hotel may be in? For instance, there would be a significant difference, especially given the era, if it were to be above or below the mason dixon line. When I think about it, there still is a fairly decent difference.

@BartEllProducer, It seems that most of the newspapers that carry Mrs. Thompson's column run in the upper mid-west on over to the east coast.  Philly, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, New York City and the like.  But where the letter writers come from would be very hard to say.  For instance, Cracker might have come across a Richmond (Indiana) Palladium newspaper down in New orleans and would have been asking her travel questions from there.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #1858 on: August 13, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
@BartEllProducer, It seems that most of the newspapers that carry Mrs. Thompson's column run in the upper mid-west on over to the east coast.  Philly, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, New York City and the like.  But where the letter writers come from would be very hard to say.  For instance, Cracker might have come across a Richmond (Indiana) Palladium newspaper down in New orleans and would have been asking her travel questions from there.

Merci
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ben Chapman
« Reply #1859 on: August 13, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »