Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 24998 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
Yes, you can find great songs in all or most genres in the 80s.  But not a lot.  Not compared to earlier decades - just re-read Juan's post re the 60s.  The 80's isn't even in the conversation compared to that.

Does it have to be?

Let's agree it's maybe the third place decade.

Good thing our parents aren't alive to Glen Miller us to submission, eh?

I will confess to preferring albums to singles, rock to pop.  Maybe that's the difference.  I didn't realize that makes me old and you young, seems like an odd way of measuring that.

Oh I dunno, it's like comparing FM to Magnatune.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »

Good thing our parents aren't alive to Glen Miller us to submission, eh?

Be sure to watch to the end for the stupendous Nicholas Brothers who put Michael Jackson to shame.

Merry Christmas

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
BRILLIANT!

...see...the old stuff was the good stuff...

:)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
You can blame downloading and now streaming for most of it.
Limited sales means record companies can't throw money at 10 bands in hopes that one hits.
Bands don't have a big enough advance to screw around in a castle for 4 months recording an album, either.

There is some very good music out there but you can't find it because every bedroom band has the same ability to get their crap out there.
People are simple - if you give them too much choice they devalue all of it equally.

There's no doubt that new platforms and new technologies play roles. The whole distribution system changed since the glory days. You don't find many Beatles in Hamburg. You don't find many on YouTube, either.

Producers and studios play roles too. Just a few people are responsible for much of the Top Forty now. That's one reason why it all sounds the same. I want my MTV....from 1985.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2019, 04:19:35 PM »
I think we could find ''older people *and* younger people'' with all sorts of different opinions.  So what if you know people with whatever opinion they have. 

Look how fat ''most people'' are.  Look at the elected officials ''most people'' give us.  Look at all the crap ''most people'' buy.  I'm quite fine to be in disagreement with ''most people'' on any number of issues.

One of us has lived through both the 70s and the 80s, and listened to the music of the day at the time - and one of us hasn't.  Which is in a better position to discern?

This is beginning to remind me of people who never heard of Wilt Chamberlin, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, or Oscar Robertson insisting Michael Jordan (or worse, LeBron James) is the GOAT - simply because those are the best players they grew up with.  Tell me, have you heard of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin?  Because I'll take them vs Michael Jackson, Blondie, and The Police any time.

I was here in the '70s. I wasn't here in the '40s. Yet, I can play Frank Sinatra songs. I can listen to Dorsey and Miller. It's great music. I don't have to be in my eighties to appreciate it. None of us are contemporaries of Bach and Beethoven. You don't have to be a vampire to hear their symphonies.

I used hyperbole in my other posts to match the hyperbole in your posts. On a rational and serious note, it all comes down to personal taste. These arguments are like discussions on how chocolate beats vanilla. We all have different favorites. I admitted that the '70s probably had the best AOR songs. That decade likely had the best bands and best singers in the hard rock genre. That aside, it's no coincidence that people think that the best music came out in the '80s. The whole world doesn't live in an album rock ghetto that's stuck in the past.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2019, 04:23:13 PM »
I think it got AI'd basically - all programmed from top to bass. :'(

I just can't go there.

Miles Davis saves me.

It's all manufactured and processed by the same Swedish guys. Sadly, I'm not talking about the male members of ABBA. The musical studios are like Nabisco factories. There's less cookie-cutting in the latter, though.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »
... That aside, it's no coincidence that people think that the best music came out in the '80s...

... the '80s had the best music as a whole. You could find great songs in all or most genres. Even Millennial kids admit this...

... Even those darn Millennial kids agree...

Well, I guess if the millennials all agree it must be so - they're just so smart when it comes to everything else.

You're Martha Quinn, aren't you

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
... So statistics either count or?...

If it comes to stats, how does 100 points in a single game stack up (Wilt)?
118 games of 50 points or more
Most games in one season 50 or more points (45)
Most consecutive games 50 or more points (7)
Career average 30 points per game, 22.9 rebounds per game

Team stats?  How about Bill Russell's 11 championships in his 13 year career

If it's stats you want, it seems like Michael and LeBron have a ways to go - but we should probably ask the millennials.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:26 PM »
Does one have to have lived through the turn of the century to discern Mark Twain ?...

If there were people around who had read both Bret Harte and Mark Twain during the time they were writing, I would be more interested in what they had to say when comparing the two than I would random people on the street expressing their opinions on them now.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:27 PM »

Well, I guess if the millennials all agree it must be so - they're just so smart when it comes to everything else.

You make me feel like one. Thanks for that, angry grandpa.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2019, 02:45:17 AM »
Plus, Wilt never fouled out of an NBA game.
And two rules were changed because of him. The lane used to be six-feet wide, and he would straddle it. He could this block the lane without being called for a three second violation. The lane was widened. It used to be legal to throw the ball in over the backboard. Kansas would do that, and Wilt would jump up and dunk. One of the opposing schools put chicken wire above the backboard ( or maybe just threatened to) to stop it, and the NCAA changed the rule.
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2019, 04:56:16 AM »
Be sure to watch to the end for the stupendous Nicholas Brothers who put Michael Jackson to shame.

The first Moonwalk starts at 2:03, as Bill Bailey exits off the stage.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »
You make me feel like one. Thanks for that, angry grandpa.

Surprisingly enough, a person doesn't have to be old to discern quality.  Thinking they know more than they do is a trait of youth though.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »
Surprisingly enough, a person doesn't have to be old to discern quality.  Thinking they know more than they do is a trait of youth though.

Youth have no monopoly on that trait. In fact, it's likely inherited.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
If it comes to stats, how does 100 points in a single game stack up (Wilt)?
118 games of 50 points or more
Most games in one season 50 or more points (45)
Most consecutive games 50 or more points (7)
Career average 30 points per game, 22.9 rebounds per game

Mmm hmm!

And he had a far more impressive stat off the court:

https://thebiglead.com/2012/08/23/wilt-chamberlain-had-a-lot-of-sex-according-to-math/

Wilt Chamberlain once claimed to have had sex with 20,000 women – a very exact number that was probably accurate at that time.

One perhaps fails to consider whether this was wrapped or unwrapped sex and if the latter how lucky was the Stilt not to end up like Magic?

Team stats?  How about Bill Russell's 11 championships in his 13 year career

If it's stats you want, it seems like Michael and LeBron have a ways to go - but we should probably ask the millennials.

Heh, so, this is why I mentioned Foutsy in the same breath as Brady - both great players but only one GOAT.

In sports that's an easier grade to give out than in music. And it has actual numerics to assist in the grading.

Yeah I know we could come up with something for music like #1 hits, or gold albums, or time on the Billboard top 40, but music is so subjective that the only thing we'd be measuring is popularity, not quality of output. So the subjectivity of this ranking leaves us with only opinions where music is concerned, imo. Maybe you have some thoughts on how decades can be graded?