Author Topic: Tell Bart Anything  (Read 319027 times)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
Re: Tell Bart Anything
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
I had all the older kids cards, Fleer, Topps, and cigarette  cards - that included a Clemente rookie card, Warren Spahn, Mantle, Maris, Banks, Koufax, Gibson, oh the pain...it hurts to even think back. :'( :'( :'(

I'd even settle for my Moose Scowron card or Vic Roznovsky now! Lol... :-\

We likely have PTSD from lost collectibles. At least, there were no original "Honus Wagners" in the mix.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
Garner Ted was the best. I wish he were in office! I remember a segment where he was denouncing evolution as he summarized it as "So if you load a truck up full of lumber and supplies, drop it all off at a vacant lot and return twenty years later only to find that it has miraculously constructed itself into a house?"  I saw that one as a rerun in the late 90's ;)

Incidentally that quote although not verbatim is very close to what he said.

Who knew that you could feel nostalgic for televangelists? I almost miss the days of the Bakker scandal and the Swaggart scandal. I even miss those crazy '90s cults. They were much more fun than Antifa SJWs.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
We likely have PTSD from lost collectibles. At least, there were no original "Honus Wagners" in the mix.

The only card I have left is an Ernie Banks autographed rookie card.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
Who knew that you could feel nostalgic for televangelists? I almost miss the days of the Bakker scandal and the Swaggart scandal. I even miss those crazy '90s cults. They were much more fun than Antifa SJWs.
My wife has been watching the Jonestown series. Some of the audio exerts are pretty interesting as he laughs when a big guy beats up on a little guys etc. A band called Manowar did a song about that whole thing.. "thanks for the Kool-Aid, Jim" Weird band.. :-\

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »
Bart, I got something to tell ya'

I recently purchased a vintage speed bag called the Everlast 4200 off ebay and the thing stinks real bad. Kanga leather (high quality shit) and it's a very sought after bag when in good or great condition which this one is. But it fkn stinks like it was wet at one time and I don't know how to de-funkify this beautiful find.

This is what I'm telling you

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
My wife has been watching the Jonestown series. Some of the audio exerts are pretty interesting as he laughs when a big guy beats up on a little guys etc. A band called Manowar did a song about that whole thing.. "thanks for the Kool-Aid, Jim" Weird band.. :-\

It was Flavor Aid
Are we having fun yet?

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
@Bart Ell I am here to tell you that you need to give yourself a pay rise because the woo videos are AWESOME.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »

I recently purchased a vintage speed bag called the Everlast 4200 off ebay and the thing stinks real bad. Kanga leather (high quality shit) and it's a very sought after bag when in good or great condition which this one is. But it fkn stinks like it was wet at one time and I don't know how to de-funkify this beautiful find.

Grab a big plastic bag.
Put your bag in it with a sock filled with baking soda.
Leave it for a few days.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
@Bart Ell I am here to tell you that you need to give yourself a pay rise because the woo videos are AWESOME.

I doubled my pay!

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2019, 07:50:42 PM »
Back in the day, I had an interest in studying the various cults from a human behavior point of view. It was fascinating how they were able to attract and keep members loyal to their cause and loyal to their leader. From the Moon Unification movement, Jim Bakker and PTL, the Armstrong's (Herbert and son Garner Ted) Worldwide Church of God, to Jim Jones and Jonestown and more.

The gold standard handbook and information resource on cults at the time was Dr. Walter Martin's book Kingdom of the Cults.

As a side note, in the early days of home satellite TV, technically you needed one letter of approval from a satellite content provider granting you permission to watch their programming to make your satellite station "legal". PTL was one of the few networks that would send you a letter giving permission, so they received a large number of requests for permission letters from home satellite TV viewers (few of which probably actually watched the network) :)  If I remember correctly, Dr. Gene Scott's University Network and TBN would also give you letters of permission.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:39 PM »
The only card I have left is an Ernie Banks autographed rookie card.

Keep it in a safe place! If not, your little cousin might sell it at a pawn shop (ahem).

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »
Check out the 1980's TV movie Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones starring Powers Boothe. It was a well-done story telling the rise and eventual fatal destiny of Jim Jones. Powers Boothe's performance won him the Emmy Award that year for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Special.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »

I was thinking about the Heaven's Gate era. It seemed like a fun cult until they took those fatal snacks, and I wasn't a big fan of that eunuch fad, either.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »

Replace it with a new one that doesn't bring George Clinton and Rick James to mind. This is what I'm telling you.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »
It was Flavor Aid

Thanks for setting the soft drink record straight. Of course, Kool-Aid works much better in jokes and memes.