Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231216 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2019, 04:00:04 AM »
I ordered some seeds from this interesting heritage seed place. They quickly shipped. Can’t wait to plant - glad I’m in Zone 9.
https://heritageseedmarket.com/
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2019, 04:45:18 AM »
I ordered some seeds from this interesting heritage seed place. They quickly shipped. Can’t wait to plant - glad I’m in Zone 9.
https://heritageseedmarket.com/

That is a very cool seed outlet, Juan.  I am especially attracted to that African Queen tomato.  https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.php/product/african-queen/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
I used to get a seed catalog mailed to me from this outfit: https://www.thompson-morgan.com/ But not for many years now.  They still sell onions in their online catalog but they don't show the pic of a man chomping into a big white onion as if it were a juicy apple.  I kind of miss seeing it, actually.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
I used to get a seed catalog mailed to me from this outfit: https://www.thompson-morgan.com/ But not for many years now.  They still sell onions in their online catalog but they don't show the pic of a man chomping into a big white onion as if it were a juicy apple.  I kind of miss seeing it, actually.

We have sweet onions in Texas that most people call “1015s”. They are ok but not as sweet as I remember the Bermuda onions I ate as a kid or the Vidalia onions I used to get from Georgia.
Are we having fun yet?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »
I'm getting some sweet onion sets, but since I live a little ways outsize the official growing zone, I can't call them Vidalias.  We'll see what I get in this coastal soil.
Merry Christmas

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »
Started planting today. Probably pushing things a little but I am in zone 9.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »
Here is a picture and an illustration from the book 'The Cactaceae: Descriptions and illustrations of plants of the cactus family.'  1919.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

https://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2019, 01:50:38 AM »
Started planting today. Probably pushing things a little but I am in zone 9.

Cool.  I hope that everything grows ok.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, I don't do any planting until the moon starts to wax after March 21.

Most stores that sell garden seeds are offering some good sales on their seed packets.  I bought this packet of Butterfly Weed seeds at Bi-Mart for half price.  I think I'll try to grow some of them in pots, across from my tomatoes.

You can see the actual seeds at the bottom of the packet.  I guess they want their customers to see what size seeds they will be dealing with.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:23 PM »

I was taking a walk and spotted an early sign of spring...some blooming crocus.  These two are part of a larger colony and I always keep an eye out for them when February rolls around.  In addition to being a sign of spring, they also serve as a reminder that my beloved Mardi Gras is approaching.  Only this time, Mardi Gras will start on March 1st and not in February.  I guess it's like Easter, the date gets moved around some.  Usually Mardi Gras starts sometime in February.   

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »
This is the time of year when I really, really envy you folks down south. Grooaann..

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2019, 08:54:10 PM »
This is the time of year when I really, really envy you folks down south. Grooaann..

Wow!  Very nice comparison photos there, ksm.  Thank you very much. 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
My garlic planted from grocery store cloves is coming up. Radishes almost ready to harvest. Peas, Swiss chard, mustard greens, and onions all sprouting. It will be time for tomato planting soon. I’m trying a variety bred to grow in north Florida this year.

Send your thoughts and prayers that I can get datil peppers to grow this year.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
My garlic planted from grocery store cloves is coming up. Radishes almost ready to harvest. Peas, Swiss chard, mustard greens, and onions all sprouting. It will be time for tomato planting soon. I’m trying a variety bred to grow in north Florida this year.

Send your thoughts and prayers that I can get datil peppers to grow this year.

OK, I have prayed for your success at growing the datil peppers, and if indeed you can get them to grow, I will envy you because they sound delicious.  The trouble is, I can no longer consume hot peppers because they cause a certain type of reaction to occur inside of me.  (Not digestive, oddly enough.)  Have you given any thought as to trying to grow the peppers in pots?  I have had some success there, as opposed to growing them in the ground.

I came across another fruit and vegetable label that is more appropriate here in the garden thread.  Especially showing tulips, which are starting to sprout here in the Pacific Northwest.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »

I stepped out onto the front yard earlier this week and found a yellow crocus growing there.

About three days later, a second one popped up.  But that's it, just the two of them.  I have never planted crocus, but I'm thinking about doing so, next fall.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2019, 04:21:19 AM »
Eating from my first crop of radishes now.
Merry Christmas