Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41257 times)

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »
And they sell good brands of herring and also sauce to make good gravy for meat balls etc at home. @K_Dubb would likely strike me for using pre-made Norskie gravy, or any gravy, packets and not making from scratch.

Re: IKEA and some others I'm torn. On the one hand it is nice, for sake of handling/processing errors, including "extra" connectors, screws, etc is good but also can perplex a person after assembly when you have left over parts. "Did I miss something?" and second guessing.

I don't argue with any meatballs and gravy, but the Ikea ones are a dumbed-down underspiced version of real scandy meatballs.  You could put them on spaghetti and no one would know the difference.  You should be able to taste the spices -- nutmeg, allspice, ginger.  Also the brown gravy is confusing; Swedes tend to make a milk- or cream-based pale sauce, while Norwegians use basic dark brun saus.  My big sis makes the best.  She fusses over it quite a bit but has been known to sneak a pinch of cayenne in, which is delicious -- shhhh.

I have long suspected our local Daughters lodge of using Ikea meatballs at the bazaar and finally got the honcho to admit it last Christmas.  We were complimenting the verdensbestekake (which is really good) and she said "yes, everything is homemade" and I said "those meatballs taste awfully familiar..."  She had to fess up.

Agree on the herring -- the Swedes do it better than anybody.  Fat, tender fish, not too vinegary.

JayGab

• KNYE
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2019, 12:39:24 AM »
The so-called flooring pictures in this attention seekers thread look like the work of a Canadian Vara. Big deal, you can put a fucking puzzle together. ::) 
Actual N-Word
Not A Paid Actor

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2019, 06:11:14 AM »
The so-called flooring pictures in this attention seekers thread look like the work of a Canadian Vara. Big deal, you can put a fucking puzzle together. ::)

And it's one of those 96 piece puzzles designed for the glue eating kids.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »
This thread gets a 5 out of 5 from me. It has helped me decide to do a whole house refloor (completed a couple of weeks ago) with one of the products discussed. After seeing some of the photos and asking some questions about flooring, @KSM32, who obviously knows what he is talking about, was key in helping me decide with the wife to go with the type of flooring we went with. And it was a good decision and we couldn't be happier. I had no idea flooring products had progressed so much from what I remembered from yesteryear.

After seeing the crew installing it, there is a lot that goes into making a good installation and doing it right.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »

It's a vinyl planking product, looks to be multiple widths and it still has to be cut and fit like any decent hardwood plank. 8)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2019, 08:44:19 AM »
This thread gets a 5 out of 5 from me. It has helped me decide to do a whole house refloor (completed a couple of weeks ago) with one of the products discussed. After seeing some of the photos and asking some questions about flooring, @KSM32, who obviously knows what he is talking about, was key in helping me decide with the wife to go with the type of flooring we went with. And it was a good decision and we couldn't be happier. I had no idea flooring products had progressed so much from what I remembered from yesteryear.

After seeing the crew installing it, there is a lot that goes into making a good installation and doing it right.

A vinyl plank only differs from hardwood in the lack of expansion/contraction and of course the blade needed to cut it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm curious now that it's down, what is the foot sound like?

Pergo has a nasty tap dancing patter, this vinyl planking has to sound pretty solid by comparison?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
A vinyl plank only differs from hardwood in the lack of expansion/contraction and of course the blade needed to cut it.

I'm curious now that it's down, what is the foot sound like?

Pergo has a nasty tap dancing patter, this vinyl planking has to sound pretty solid by comparison?
Soft sole shoes make a muffled soft sound. Hard sole shoes make more of the clickety tap sound. Dogs walking on it with their nails make the clickcety clackity tapping sound. The dogs were used to the traction that the carpet provided and it took them a couple of days to get familiar with the lesser traction afforded on the new flooring. They adapted quickly and now take it a bit slower when turning corners :) 

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
Soft sole shoes make a muffled soft sound. Hard sole shoes make more of the clickety tap sound. Dogs walking on it with their nails make the clickcety clackity tapping sound. The dogs were used to the traction that the carpet provided and it took them a couple of days to get familiar with the lesser traction afforded on the new flooring. They adapted quickly and now take it a bit slower when turning corners :)

So how do you like it then, I know even real hardwood will be clicky for dog claws, but it's the footfall that matters.

Key thing though, it's a forever floor (more or less) and you didn't have to do any of the plank gapping seal work, which never lasts anyway:

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »
So how do you like it then, I know even real hardwood will be clicky for dog claws, but it's the footfall that matters.

Key thing though, it's a forever floor (more or less) and you didn't have to do any of the plank gapping seal work, which never lasts anyway:

I really like the new flooring. It gives the house a whole new personality. Should have done it sooner. The carpet was 19 years old (it held up really well). I will be even happier when I get through painting all the interior woodwork and everything is back in place :)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
Good deal, it's a LOT of work and you were a trooper to get 19 years out of that carpet!

I look forward to some more pics as you progress. :)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, Max.  Not sure if this was already covered but did you rip out the old carpet yourself or did the installers do it? I ask because I wanted to know how much dirt and dust there was.. sometimes people find a lot and it's almost scary how much residual dirt carpets trap. Carpet free feels sooo good. Like Chuck Mangione :)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2019, 09:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Max.  Not sure if this was already covered but did you rip out the old carpet yourself or did the installers do it? I ask because I wanted to know how much dirt and dust there was.. sometimes people find a lot and it's almost scary how much residual dirt carpets trap. Carpet free feels sooo good. Like Chuck Mangione :)
The installers removed it. There wasn't a lot of dirt on the floor when the carpet was removed. One of the reasons for that could have been the vacuum cleaner we use. It has the dirt sensor lights on it and I always vacuumed the carpet until the green no-dirt light lit up. That can easily double the time it takes to vacuum a room but it removes most of the dirt. I remember when I first got that vacuum cleaner I thought it wasn't working correctly because I could not get a green no-dirt light, it stayed red or amber (indicating dirt). I decided to keep vacuuming and finally after about 15 minutes of vacuuming the same small area, I finally got the green light. Vacuuming the entire house that first time took several hours to get the green no-dirt light on all the rooms. After that initial vacuuming, it went much quicker as long as you kept up with it.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
I have never heard of such a vacuum, but you were wise to heed it's coaching. Any idea which brand or model it was/is?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
I have never heard of such a vacuum, but you were wise to heed it's coaching. Any idea which brand or model it was/is?
It is a Kenmore (Sears) Progressive IntelliClean upright vacuum Model 11635923500. I still have it and it continues to work well. I have probably had it for 15 years or so. I will still use it for the throw rugs we have and it also has a hard floor setting. I also remember after buying it from Sears, the saleslady who I talked to about it sent a postcard thanking us for the purchase. Those were the days :)

One of the attachments shows the dirt sensor. The one green light means no dirt. The other lights (not lit in the photo) are two amber and one red, representing various degrees of dirt.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »
Back from the days when Sears and Kenmore really were on top of their game!

I have an aging Hoover Windtunnel canister of similar vintage, but it only has "bag full" sensor, and I've never abused it enough to see if that one works. Things were made much more robustly then, I bet you get another 15 out of that with the wall to wall carpet gone. :)