Author Topic: 1st Time You Heard JC Call In  (Read 3190 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
1st Time You Heard JC Call In
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:33:19 AM »
I'll be honest. The sound of his voice and Art's reaction to him freaked me out for a moment as I had to stop what I was doing (untangling guitar and microphone chords) suddenly the flow of the show was hijacked by a prophetic baptist biblical scholar uber madman!?  I don't remember the exact call or date but it was in 1999 and may have been the one where JC mentioned he might show you/me/Art some mercy by spitting on you while your burning.

You?

#boilingpitsofsewage

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: 1st Time You Heard JC Call In
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 04:22:55 AM »
I heard the first one where wasn’t quite so strident. But my favorite two were when Willie Nelson was guest and the one where outed the guest as a lesbian because she had Tupperware parties.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
I heard the first one where wasn’t quite so strident. But my favorite two were when Willie Nelson was guest and the one where outed the guest as a lesbian because she had Tupperware parties.
Ahh  I have the Willy Nelson show! Thanks for reminding me, time for a re-listen.

One of my favorite quotes was JC referring to the Lilith Fair as a "bunch o' rampaging lesbians going around the country" And he was shouting it which only compounded the quality of the delivery!  Even Art laughed out loud!

Whether he, JC was a put on or the real thing.. his delivery was always consistent in that he never had a lackluster appearance/delivery.

I want to believe, he was the real thing. ;D

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 11:33:51 PM »

I want to believe, he was the real thing. ;D
Absolutely (I hope he was real).  But, if not, he was a comedian with great timing and apparently great improv skills.

George had him on and he sounded really bad... Age didn't do him kindly or it wasn't him.

...(untangling guitar and microphone chords)

Well, isn't it nice that you admit that you are a gear-abuser!  I've got four conductor guitar cords that lasted me 30 years (20 years of non-stop work).  I use the proper winding technique!

Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:43:28 AM »
I thought it was awful, from the first time I heard him to the last.  I guess I didn't get it.

Same with about 99% of the callers.  I wanted to hear Art, not them, but JC's interruptions were the worst.  Insufferable.  Unless it was a guest I really wanted to hear, it was time to turn it off and go to bed.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 05:48:19 AM »
I think part of JC’s allure, to everyone but @PB, was the unexpectedness. He’d fail to call guests you’d expect, then pop up with guests where you wouldn’t expect him. Comic genius whether he understood it or not.

Part of sNoory’s problem with JC (or fake JC/UFO Phil if you follow @Morgus ) is that George always says, “Next up from Los Angeles” enthusiastically, then drops his voice and says “Oh, no.”  It removes the listener experience we got when we heard “Next from West of the Rockies” - “Hello, Mr Bell?”
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
I thought it was awful, from the first time I heard him to the last.  I guess I didn't get it.

Same with about 99% of the callers.  I wanted to hear Art, not them, but JC's interruptions were the worst.  Insufferable.  Unless it was a guest I really wanted to hear, it was time to turn it off and go to bed.
@PB Overall it sounds like you were only willing to take in half the experience of classic Coast. A big part of it was Art's interactions with callers no matter the quality of the call. Art was pretty good at keeping the train rolling in the right direction. I'm very disappointed that you limited yourself like that. No need for anger here, I'm just sayin'  :'(

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
Absolutely (I hope he was real).  But, if not, he was a comedian with great timing and apparently great improv skills.

George had him on and he sounded really bad... Age didn't do him kindly or it wasn't him.

Well, isn't it nice that you admit that you are a gear-abuser!  I've got four conductor guitar cords that lasted me 30 years (20 years of non-stop work).  I use the proper winding technique!

@sean92008 I am not a gear abuser, I am a human being! I too have many cables from 20+ years ago.

I believe that the first JC was indeed the real thing. The one that showed up in the 2000's was not a consistent JC.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
He was a racist, homophobic ham radio pal that managed to develop a great character after Art yelled at him off air after his first call.

Sidebar -
1.3% of calls to DARK MATTER or MITD were interesting.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
@sean92008 I am not a gear abuser, I am a human being! I too have many cables from 20+ years ago.

I believe that the first JC was indeed the real thing. The one that showed up in the 2000's was not a consistent JC.

After reading this thread. I did a quick search and saw two appearances referenced since 2013.  I didn't hear the clips but I think I heard one in 2017(?) after the call, George reassured us that it really was him. He needed to.  Nothing reminded me of JC.  Throughout an adult life, most people's voices stay the same in some way (tone, timbre, pacing) minus strokes.

U7Radio.org had a compilation file that was played occasionally.  Entertaining interaction!

He was a racist, homophobic ham radio pal that managed to develop a great character after Art yelled at him off air after his first call.

Sidebar -

Probably. (Still, it's the type of person to laugh at, not with)

I got the sense that the "admission" in February, 2018 might have been a deathbed confession.  That is if we don't believe Heather's accounts of Art's last days.
Eh, nevermind...

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »

Sidebar -
Is that your best JC guess? I say you're the teller of tall tales.

As far as callers go skype was horrible. Completely inconsistent from caller to caller, in the good ol days the 1k of the average house phone kept everything in order. It was better that way.

@sean92008 I have the motherload. No need for U7Radio.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
@PB Overall it sounds like you were only willing to take in half the experience of classic Coast. A big part of it was Art's interactions with callers no matter the quality of the call. Art was pretty good at keeping the train rolling in the right direction. I'm very disappointed that you limited yourself like that. No need for anger here, I'm just sayin'  :'(

I had a day job, and couldn't stay up and listen all night although a lot of nights I wanted to - and some nights I did anyway.

Typically I'd listen to the first hour and maybe a segment or two of the guest - I really only listened to most of the show if it was a topic I was  interested in, or if the guest was truly compelling when they first came on and kept me listening - so maybe once or twice a week.

When sleep is precious, the drop off was noticeable when he went to the phone lines.  It was time for bed.  And sure, we all remember the great calls, but most were a waste of time.  One of Art's great skills was summing up the call after they hung up -  in doing so he made it interesting - so again it was Art, not the callers.  Open lines shows were very easy to skip.  Idiots like Hoagland, Weeber, and probably a dozen others who were on way too often were easy to skip.

At some point I realized the paranormal was all bullshit.  I guess I listened to enough of the show to at least learn that - of course he had plenty of other topics, and some of the bs topics were at least entertaining.  But Hoagy, Weeber, JC, etc - not entertaining.  In the slightest.

So yeah, not nearly the fan that a lot of others here were and are.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »
Is that your best JC guess? I say you're the teller of tall tales.

Would Art say he was trying to work up a caller to have a heart attack if he didn't know who he was?
Take off the fan goggles and see you got played.
JC was named JC by Art.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
Would Art say he was trying to work up a caller to have a heart attack if he didn't know who he was?
Take off the fan goggles and see you got played.
JC was named JC by Art.
No fan goggles here, I have no emotional stock in the matter. The onus is on you to provide some sort of proof that the entire saga was a put-on. You can't. And whether or not a caller let's him or herself get worked up to the point of a heart attack is completely on the caller. Seriously, you're better than that ;D

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
And whether or not a caller let's him or herself get worked up to the point of a heart attack is completely on the caller.

FCC says no.