Author Topic: Utility Smart Meters  (Read 3379 times)

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
Utility Smart Meters
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
Anyone here have any experience with these things?  My utility company plans on installing these and replacing analog meters within the next couple of months.  I'm doing some research, I have found that they are both the devil and they are perfectly fine.  What bothers me is that they haven't given us any information about these things nor are they giving us a choice. THAT bothers me.  I would appreciate any input you Gabbers might have, because, you know, you are all part of the bright and shiny part of the web.  Thanks!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Utility Smart Meters
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
Anyone here have any experience with these things?  My utility company plans on installing these and replacing analog meters within the next couple of months.  I'm doing some research, I have found that they are both the devil and they are perfectly fine.  What bothers me is that they haven't given us any information about these things nor are they giving us a choice. THAT bothers me.  I would appreciate any input you Gabbers might have, because, you know, you are all part of the bright and shiny part of the web.  Thanks!

I have them here in NC.  It's been a positive. The clod of a meter reader would always manage to step on Mrs. Walks flowers
on the way to reading the meter.   No brain tumors or third eyes as of yet...............

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
I have them here in NC.  It's been a positive. The clod of a meter reader would always manage to step on Mrs. Walks flowers
on the way to reading the meter.   No brain tumors or third eyes as of yet...............

Thanks, Walks.  Appreciate it!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »
Thanks, Walks.  Appreciate it!

Sure. Now Duke Power has this Power Manager program.  They can cut the juice to shit in the summer heat when
they feel like it and give you up to a $32 credit.       No spank you.  Make it three bills and we'll talk.

https://www.duke-energy.com/home/products/power%20manager

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »
Sure. Now Duke Power has this Power Manager program.  They can cut the juice to shit in the summer heat when
they feel like it and give you up to a $32 credit.       No spank you.  Make it three bills and we'll talk.

https://www.duke-energy.com/home/products/power%20manager

See? This is the kind of shit I'm concerned about...control.  I like to run my AC  full-tilt When it's hot, and turn up the heat when it's cold and when it's dark outside, now check this out...I like to turn on the lights!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
See? This is the kind of shit I'm concerned about...control.  I like to run my AC  full-tilt When it's hot, and turn up the heat when it's cold and when it's dark outside, now check this out...I like to turn on the lights!
I dont like the no consent, most places. I also am unsure of accuracy in billing or the people who 'read' often outsourced or remotely. Unsure of the purported ill effects but do think, at least in future, ability of gov't or private owned to turn-off or limit use easier. Also, even more conspiratorial here, a way to 'connect', data mine, and spy. "Smart" usually means this.

Darth Maul

• KMST
  • BUT Who is the Master and who is the apprentice?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
Yeah i don't like them.. we have had smart meters for about 10 years now and i've had mine replaced because of extra high electric bills. the new "dumb" meter took care of the high billings i was getting but it took a lot of fighting the electric company to get them to change it.

Also at times they cut the power off remotely for  2 to 3 hour periods without notice mostly in the HOT dead of summer around here.. i mean they cut off a large area of houses and even hamburger joints.. can you imagine if they ruin meat or chicken at those places.

They don't care when they do it and won't answer why they turn off the power but i've seen them say on the news  too much power was used on certain days of the summer.   My AC/HEAT guy was in my attic last year and asked me if my electricity had been suddenly turned off at any time and i told him how the electric company cuts off the power at times in the summer and he said one of my main wires going to my AC/HEAT unit upstairs had a burnt wire from the power being cut on and off like that.  Cost me more money to have that wiring replaced.

They burn my house down and i will be suing them

Sith Lord From the Planet Dathomir

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
they way out is to have your own power source. then not pay the electric bill so they cut you off.
most local govts require you to have a "electrical hookup to the grid" and thus force you to pay for something you no longer need. they give you the out in the event you dont pay the electric company, the company can shut you off.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Utility Smart Meters & Solar Panels
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:03 PM »
Another thing is Solar Panels.  Guy at work laid out 30 grand for his earlier this year.  So far he is saving about a
1/3 of what he was figuring on.   At this rate he breaks even like 2039 or something silly...................

Anyone have experience in this area?

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: Utility Smart Meters & Solar Panels
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Another thing is Solar Panels.  Guy at work laid out 30 grand for his earlier this year.  So far he is saving about a
1/3 of what he was figuring on.   At this rate he breaks even like 2039 or something silly...................

Anyone have experience in this area?
I cant too big trees but when the govt n local utility was giving 'discounts' n tax breaks several neighbors did. Never waa able to get actual details from them. One got drunk at a crawfish boil and gave some numbers when would provide savings,but provided no receipts, #'s didnt seem to add up, and babbled on, eapecially when I pointed out that his panels still go through grid n meter n so not self sustaining or 'if power goes out' deal. Im not against them, per se, but doubt savings or control when done in conjunction with city/pwr co.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »
well you could put a faraday cage around it. metal sheet in the wall behind, and a metal shed on the outside. leave the shed empty and never lock it (so they can come and read it inside the shed).  that will prevent any wireless communication. and it *should* be legal, as long as the proper permission is obtained from your local govt as needed.  the permission from the govt is another topic altogether.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »
well you could put a faraday cage around it. metal sheet in the wall behind, and a metal shed on the outside. leave the shed empty and never lock it (so they can come and read it inside the shed).  that will prevent any wireless communication. and it *should* be legal, as long as the proper permission is obtained from your local govt as needed.  the permission from the govt is another topic altogether.

Not a bad idea.  First, though, I think I will politely tell them to F Off.  I'll see how that goes. ;)

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
they way out is to have your own power source. then not pay the electric bill so they cut you off.
most local govts require you to have a "electrical hookup to the grid" and thus force you to pay for something you no longer need. they give you the out in the event you dont pay the electric company, the company can shut you off.
In theory you could pay for the hookup, then don't pay it for a few months and they turn it off. You would still be in "code" as you have the hookup. And could use your own power thereafter without any new bill.