Author Topic: Random, stupid things on your mind  (Read 810000 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: Random, stupid things on your mind
« Reply #1785 on: January 09, 2020, 07:45:17 PM »
Love that stuff @anniem

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Does it taste like....anchovies?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1786 on: January 09, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »

It’s more of a salty flavor.  If you use too much it can taste a tad fishy but it doesn’t really have much smell. 
Are we having fun yet?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1787 on: January 09, 2020, 08:20:53 PM »
It’s more of a salty flavor.  If you use too much it can taste a tad fishy but it doesn’t really have much smell.

No thank you anyway

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1788 on: January 09, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »

I miss Thailand

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1789 on: January 09, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »

Think of it as sort of similar to soy sauce, used to add salt & flavor.  It's a key ingredient in many Thai dishes - if you've had Thai, you've almost certainly had it.  There are different versions - depending on what you're using it for - from very light, to thicker and more pungent.  The Vietnamese and Cambodians have their versions as well

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1790 on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
I miss Thailand

Me too.  I am starting to plan a trip for April for Songkran to try and experience that down on one of the islands. Probably Koh Phongnan.  I may end up staying through May. 
Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1791 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:43 AM »
Me too.  I am starting to plan a trip for April for Songkran to try and experience that down on one of the islands. Probably Koh Phongnan.  I may end up staying through May.
@GravitySucks another trip to celebrate the Thai New Year?
 I really enjoyed your photos from your last trip.

"NOPE" to Pik nam pla.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1792 on: January 10, 2020, 05:45:34 AM »
@GravitySucks another trip to celebrate the Thai New Year?
 I really enjoyed your photos from your last trip.

"NOPE" to Pik nam pla.

Yep. I hope I didn’t wait too long to plan the trip.  Airfares went up a lot.  The island I want to go to still has rooms available in the resort I want to stay at though.
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1793 on: January 10, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Yep. I hope I didn’t wait too long to plan the trip.  Airfares went up a lot.  The island I want to go to still has rooms available in the resort I want to stay at though.

I've always stayed at backpacker-type places, what does a room at a resort generally go for?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1794 on: January 10, 2020, 07:10:48 AM »
I've always stayed at backpacker-type places, what does a room at a resort generally go for?

I paid about $18 per night for a double room with AC back in September but it was low season.  This island is a known party spot for full moon festivals.  The singles without air are $16 for mid April. The king size bed with AC is listed for about $60 which is way too high.  I can get a house on the beach for about $35 a night but I really like this resort.  I’ll probably book a beachside bungalow without air for about $25.  I am going to start off in Bangkok again then head to Koh Phagnan for 10 days and maybe check out that big lake at Sarat Thani after a stop at Kho Samui. 

I just checked airbnb and they have the same room I rented in September for $49 per night. 
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1795 on: January 10, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »
I paid about $18 per night for a double room with AC back in September but it was low season.  This island is a known party spot for full moon festivals.  The singles without air are $16 for mid April. The king size bed with AC is listed for about $60 which is way too high.  I can get a house on the beach for about $35 a night but I really like this resort.  I’ll probably book a beachside bungalow without air for about $25.  I am going to start off in Bangkok again then head to Koh Phagnan for 10 days and maybe check out that big lake at Sarat Thani after a stop at Kho Samui. 

I just checked airbnb and they have the same room I rented in September for $49 per night.

That's amazing.  A lot less than I expected. 

I miss the food as much as anything - I think the last couple times I was in Thailand I didn't even go inside a restaurant, I just walked around stuffing myself with street food all day. 

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1796 on: January 10, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
That's amazing.  A lot less than I expected. 

I miss the food as much as anything - I think the last couple times I was in Thailand I didn't even go inside a restaurant, I just walked around stuffing myself with street food all day.

Street food is amazing.  For six weeks the only western food I ate was a handful of lays potato chips on two different occasions so as not to be rude when they were offered.

One tablespoon of the spicy ant egg salad was the closest I came to eating bugs. 

Never did figure out what their utter fascination was with the common hot dog.  Especially at breakfast.  I passed. Khao Tom Pla was much too tasty. 

Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1797 on: January 10, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
If you like festivals, try to go during Loi Krathong sometime

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1798 on: January 10, 2020, 09:59:09 PM »
Street food is amazing.  For six weeks the only western food I ate was a handful of lays potato chips on two different occasions so as not to be rude when they were offered...

I knew there had to be something, for me it's the chocolate dipped cones at Dairy Queen.  10b for the small ones.

It's interesting to see what chains they have and don't have there, I remember standing on a corner in Bangkok from where I could see six different 7-Elevens.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #1799 on: January 11, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Do the 7 Elevens there have turkey sammiches and pizza rolls?
Merry Christmas