Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28970 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
probably in a folder called downloads.
tablets (and any other touch only device) are generally useless for any real work.
Yes.  "probably in a folder called downloads", lol, well yes, if I can just LOCATE a usable such folder!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 05:50:20 AM »
if you are using chrome on the fire (it uses android) there are 3 "." vertically on the upper right corner. tap those  scroll down until you find "Downloads" .
otherwise open a file manager (you may need to install one).
usually downloads is listed on its opening page.
if not:
open internal storage scroll down until you find Download
open that
if you have a sd card
open it scroll down until you find Download
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 06:15:02 AM »
10 PRINT "Wasn't quite sure where to post this. Movies or Technology. Technology it is....
Watched this movie last night. I used to have a Vic-20 year's ago when they first came out. It was an insane amount of money for the time. It couldn't do much but it was my first taste of computer crack and got me hooked."
20 GOTO 10
RUN
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

IMDB: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6541512/

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
10 PRINT "Wasn't quite sure where to post this. Movies or Technology. Technology it is....
Watched this movie last night. I used to have a Vic-20 year's ago when they first came out. It was an insane amount of money for the time. It couldn't do much but it was my first taste of computer crack and got me hooked."
20 GOTO 10
RUN
I remember the Vic-20. Back in the day, we pioneers had choices such as the Vic-20 (the sequel to the Commodore PET), the Apple II, the TRS-80, the Atari 400/800, the Exidy Sorcerer, and a few others. For those of us who were kit builders in the mid/late 70's and early 80's, we had the Mits Altair, the Imsai 8080, the SWTPC 6800, and a few others. Those were the days  :)

nbirnes

• KIDD
    • Perforated Lines
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »
I remember the Vic-20. Back in the day, we pioneers had choices such as the Vic-20 (the sequel to the Commodore PET), the Apple II, the TRS-80, the Atari 400/800, the Exidy Sorcerer, and a few others. For those of us who were kit builders in the mid/late 70's and early 80's, we had the Mits Altair, the Imsai 8080, the SWTPC 6800, and a few others. Those were the days  :)

I published a computer game and book with my daughter for many of those machines. It was called Qwerty's Alphabet Adventure (http://shadowlawnpress.com/03-children/03-qwerty/) and was meant for children to learn their reading, abc's, and keyboard all at once. We did the artwork via rubber stamps that we hand-carved and which I still have today, in case there's ever a sequel.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
20 GOTO 10
RUN
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

IMDB: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6541512/
My first was a Timex Sinclair.  I didn't have the 16k memory module, so I had a total of 1k for the machine.  I bought a cassette recorder so I could save programs on it.  I never had any of the cartridges either, I just programmed in Basic on it.   Then I moved up to a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A.  That was a well built machine, and the full keyboard was a dream after the membrane of the tiny sinclair.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
My first was a Timex Sinclair.  I didn't have the 16k memory module, so I had a total of 1k for the machine.  I bought a cassette recorder so I could save programs on it.  I never had any of the cartridges either, I just programmed in Basic on it.   Then I moved up to a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A.  That was a well built machine, and the full keyboard was a dream after the membrane of the tiny sinclair.
Indeed, those membrane keyboards were absolutely terrible. My neighbour had a Atari 800 with one. I shudder when I see those new laser projected virtual keyboards and can't help but think they are a step backwards. A friend had the TI-99. It was always fun to play on.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
I published a computer game and book with my daughter for many of those machines. It was called Qwerty's Alphabet Adventure (http://shadowlawnpress.com/03-children/03-qwerty/) and was meant for children to learn their reading, abc's, and keyboard all at once. We did the artwork via rubber stamps that we hand-carved and which I still have today, in case there's ever a sequel.
Small world...I thought that title sounded familiar and clicked on the link and I see it was distributed by Hayden. We had a computer retail store for many years and carried most of the Hayden titles. I probably still have our dealer not-for-resale demo copy of your program in storage (probably the Apple II version). Our Hayden rep was good about giving demo copies to us for their titles...

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
I remember the Timex Sinclair and also the TI 99/4 and 99/4A very well. The $99 price tag for the Timex was a great price point at that time. The TI 99/4 had a lot of potential with the breakthrough 16-bit processor, but if I recall, TI made some corporate decisions about the product line which killed it way too soon.

nbirnes

• KIDD
    • Perforated Lines
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 09:46:48 PM »
Small world...I thought that title sounded familiar and clicked on the link and I see it was distributed by Hayden. We had a computer retail store for many years and carried most of the Hayden titles. I probably still have our dealer not-for-resale demo copy of your program in storage (probably the Apple II version). Our Hayden rep was good about giving demo copies to us for their titles...

Small world, indeed. We loved working with Hayden! At our signing luncheon, I had sushi for the first time and found out that the green mashed potato rosette wasn't potato after all. Where was your store?

VENUS FIREBALL XL5

• KDWN
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »

My repurposed eyepad.
Have you contacted Falkie?  I know he needs a new Ipad  ::)
Spaced out Biatch

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 12:45:33 AM »

A friend and I have noticed that websites are acting very differently in different browsers.  How long has this been going on?

There were always some slight differences, but in the past few years it's been very obvious and getting more so every day.   Now some pages only work correctly with Firefox.  Others with Chrome.  I rarely use IE for anything so not sure about that.  A lot of times it's the setting in the Browsers or what attachments you have installed.

I usually run Chrome on everything now, but there are pages that I have to switch to Firefox to view.  A few years ago it was the opposite.

cweb

• KIDD
  • Capable of So Much Less
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
There were always some slight differences, but in the past few years it's been very obvious and getting more so every day.   Now some pages only work correctly with Firefox.  Others with Chrome.  I rarely use IE for anything so not sure about that.  A lot of times it's the setting in the Browsers or what attachments you have installed.

I usually run Chrome on everything now, but there are pages that I have to switch to Firefox to view.  A few years ago it was the opposite.

There's a lot of sloppy, bloated, irregular web design out there. Script/ad blocking is a godsend. Flash going away has helped, but depending on what is being used to create sites, there are a lot of best practices being ignored.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
There's a lot of sloppy, bloated, irregular web design out there. Script/ad blocking is a godsend. Flash going away has helped, but depending on what is being used to create sites, there are a lot of best practices being ignored.
I haven't used IE in years, but now it seems like I have to use it most times a site has videos that aren't youtube linked.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 02:01:09 AM »