Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 20288 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
  • PEOPLE'S LIVES ARE AT STAKE HERE!!
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2021, 05:48:47 AM »
I don't remember baseball being like this

I enjoyed that.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2021, 06:21:15 AM »
I went to PNC Park last night to see the game.  That was the first time in many years and I was really looking forward to it; especially since I moved back to the 'Burgh.  The Buccos were playing the Diamondbacks.  Two of the worst teams in baseball but I didn't care.  I enjoy the atmosphere at the ballpark.

Well, I have never been so bored in my life.  Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but it was definitely boring.  It's a rarity when I leave a game early.  In the bottom of the 5th, after sitting there for 2+ hours, I said 'the hell with it' and got out of there.  Simply awful baseball.  It seemed like every batter was in a 2-2 or full count in every at bat.  The pitching just sucked. 

I checked the box score this morning and they had the time listed as 3 hours and 40 minutes.   I love the game itself, but it just is too long and I just don't see the same game I grew up with.  I didn't see any sort of strategy.  I didn't see maximum effort.  It just wasn't a good experience across the board and it saddened me because as I was walking to parking garage I came to the realization that I don't care if I ever go again.  It was a similar feeling you have when you break up with someone.  Saying that last goodbye.

As beautiful as PNC Park is, and as much as I do (or did?) love the atmosphere of being at the ballpark, it's lost it's luster.  If I get the urge I may go to Altoona to see a minor league game.  Or I just may never see a game again.   :(

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2021, 07:15:22 AM »
@ShayP - One of my mother's friends went to a Randy Jones-pitched game in San Diego circa 1976...

The ice didn't melt in her drink yet and the game was done. A big deal was made about it...

Analytics have turned the game from checkers to chess.

100 pitches after 4 innings.

I've tuned out most of baseball because of their politics and my local team's choosing a weak FM station for its broadcasts. There was a news bulletin on the talk station yesterday, a coach got fired. Argh!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2021, 08:57:07 AM »
... I have never been so bored in my life.  Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but it was definitely boring.  It's a rarity when I leave a game early.  In the bottom of the 5th, after sitting there for 2+ hours, I said 'the hell with it' and got out of there.  Simply awful baseball.  It seemed like every batter was in a 2-2 or full count in every at bat.  The pitching just sucked. 

I checked the box score this morning and they had the time listed as 3 hours and 40 minutes.   I love the game itself, but it just is too long and I just don't see the same game I grew up with.  I didn't see any sort of strategy.  I didn't see maximum effort.  It just wasn't a good experience across the board and it saddened me because as I was walking to parking garage I came to the realization that I don't care if I ever go again.  It was a similar feeling you have when you break up with someone.  Saying that last goodbye...

This is very similar to the way I feel about the game.

To me baseball is 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 3-1, etc, and takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to play.  The batter stays in the batters box, the pitcher gets the ball and pitches it.  Win or lose, the SP tries to make it through the entire game (Juan Marichal had more career complete games than wins)

It's not about striking out, walking, or hitting home runs, it's about the pitcher getting the hitter to hit his pitch early in the count, and to batter trying to get on base any way he can then moving around to score.

When it's 2-1 in the 8th inning, every at bat counts, every runner counts, every base counts, and every pitch counts.  When it's 13-4 in the fifth, no single run, pitch, or at bat really means anything, baseball is a horribly boring game.  Especially when we've already been at the ballpark for 4 hours.

I just don't get these announcers who played back when I watched who say they still love the game and don't understand what I just posted - ''longer games just mean more baseball, why are you complaining?''  Or the fans who seem to like it.

I blame Nolan Ryan for making it about strikeouts, and Earl Weaver for famously waiting around for 3 run HRs.  I heard a guy on sportstalk radio the other day say something like 35% of ll at bats are now either Ks, Ws, or HRs, ugh!

juan

• Ellightened
  • From off the Atlantic Coast, Surficial
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »
I blame the DH.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

KSM

• Annoying Moderator
  • Ellevated
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
Your baseball sounds better.

I had always dismissed the game and chalked it up to being nothing more than boring until September 2015 when I decided to jump on the Blue Jays band wagon as they pretty much waltzed into the world series. I still enjoy it, but I don't know any better. You guys apparently do and after reading what you all have to say I think I would prefer it the way it used to be.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
This is very similar to the way I feel about the game.

To me baseball is 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 3-1, etc, and takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to play.  The batter stays in the batters box, the pitcher gets the ball and pitches it.  Win or lose, the SP tries to make it through the entire game (Juan Marichal had more career complete games than wins)

It's not about striking out, walking, or hitting home runs, it's about the pitcher getting the hitter to hit his pitch early in the count, and to batter trying to get on base any way he can then moving around to score.

When it's 2-1 in the 8th inning, every at bat counts, every runner counts, every base counts, and every pitch counts.  When it's 13-4 in the fifth, no single run, pitch, or at bat really means anything, baseball is a horribly boring game.  Especially when we've already been at the ballpark for 4 hours.

I just don't get these announcers who played back when I watched who say they still love the game and don't understand what I just posted - ''longer games just mean more baseball, why are you complaining?''  Or the fans who seem to like it.

I blame Nolan Ryan for making it about strikeouts, and Earl Weaver for famously waiting around for 3 run HRs.  I heard a guy on sportstalk radio the other day say something like 35% of ll at bats are now either Ks, Ws, or HRs, ugh!

The modern game is unwatchable and unlistenable on the radio. Listening to a game was once a great pleasure but it is almost as fun as listening to static for 4 hours now. The pace of the game is horrid, the use extensive use of the bullpen just makes it worse. Nothing is more maddening than having a starter breeze through six innings and then they go to the 'pen where invariably one of the setup guys will get lit up and the game pissed away.  After really not following the game much in forever, I thought I'd give it a try this year. Listened to the Tigers opener - it was awful due to the pacing. Plus the modern stadiums all have really nice press boxes but they are enclosed and far away from the action. Part of the fun of listening on the radio used to be the crack of the bat or the pop of the catchers mitt, the growl of the Ump or some dude hawking peanuts. All gone now - it is just sterile.

Radio broadcast  of the Tigers Versus Twins - 1978.  2 Hours 27 minutes with commercials, station identifications, etc included with of course AM radio hiss.  ;) 

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2021, 10:17:46 AM »
There never used to be much in the way of player interviews, maybe the star of the game in the postgame show, or an interview in a magazine article, and that was it.

Getting to know the players better in the era of ESPN and cable did not enhance the enjoyment of the game, too many are jerks.

So it's ''bye-bye baby'' (from the Giants fight song) for me.

KSM

• Annoying Moderator
  • Ellevated
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
JAYS TO YANKEES.  Onward and upward.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
I would never have guessed that Andre Dawson would be running a funeral home - just not owning but day to day running:

Andre Dawson says his Florida funeral home is swamped with COVID-19 deaths

Only other ballplayer I know of involved in that type of stuff was the old Grave Digger, Richie Hebner
“I started digging graves as a high school sophomore for my father, who managed a couple of cemeteries. He started paying me $35 a grave and I did it for 35 years. It was pocket money and was good exercise, but we also did it when the ground was frozen and it was snowing and sleeting. Let me tell you, I buried a lot of people over the years.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
I would never have guessed that Andre Dawson would be running a funeral home - just not owning but day to day running:

Only other ballplayer I know of involved in that type of stuff was the old Grave Digger, Richie Hebner

:o  I'll be darned.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »

He bought the rights to cremate Eric Show but there were certain stipulations…

Are we having fun yet?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2021, 11:45:07 PM »
He bought the rights to cremate Eric Show but there were certain stipulations…

Wow! An obscure reference to a guy who used to play guitar better than he pitched.

Sitting on the mound after Pete Rose's big hit pretty much exemplified his life.

KSM

• Annoying Moderator
  • Ellevated
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2021, 11:20:57 AM »
Andre Dawson

.279 infield pop up hitting sack of shit with bum knees.
He wasn't even good enough to shine Ellis Valentine's coke straw.