Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427216 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 01, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »
YES! Great family stories. I hope someone is working on your family trees and saving "the stories" and saving the nicknames.
@Kidnostad yes, you are correct every family tree has some horse thieves and some heroes. Most of my ancestors came from Ireland. In addition to collecting the family stories, I had to learn their legal first names.
A child is born. The baby is given the first name after one of the elders in the family. However, the legal given name is only used on the birth certificate. The baby is raised with a different name but not with an endearing nickname. For example: my Aunt Mildred's legal first name is "Frances" and not "Mildred". I had to force my Mom to tell me the legal first names of her brothers and sisters for me to complete our family tree.
Recently, my dear "Aunt Deanie" passed over at the age of 94 years old. Long story short, I had to open an estate account after her passing over. First order of business was going to City Hall and file a legal "also known as" to open an estate account. Aunt Deanie had 3 different given names in addition to her nickname "Deanie".

In retrospect, I am not sure if the habit of having different first names is an Irish tradition, a Southern Tradition or just my family's tradition.

Very interesting.  I hadn't known that people had additional names like that.  I like your aunt's nickname.  Sweet!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #691 on: May 01, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
From the Library of Congress, May 1, 1919.

The Madison Daily Leader.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #692 on: May 02, 2019, 04:15:03 AM »
Very interesting.  I hadn't known that people had additional names like that.  I like your aunt's nickname.  Sweet!
My Aunt Deanie was sweet and very funny. We often referred to her as the DEANER. A photo of Deanie in her 90's on a bike.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #693 on: May 02, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »
First Red Scare
:RE Fort Wayne
As I read this clip, I became curious why someone would be arrested if a red flag was flourished during a “Bolshevik” meeting on a Thursday night?
As I googled "Bolshevik” in the USA, I learned about the First Red Scare period during the early 20th-century in the USA. It was a time marked by a widespread fear of Bolshevism and anarchism, due to real and imagined events. What a surprise to read about the history of May Day riots of 1919. Silly me. I have spent hours learning the history of Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra without a complete understanding. I knew that the Tsar and his family were executed in 1918 by local Bolsheviks, all under the command of Bolshevik Yakov Yurovsky.  I was not aware of the RED FLAG movement in the USA in 1919.
As always, thanks for sharing our history from 100 years ago.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #694 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
My Aunt Deanie was sweet and very funny. We often referred to her as the DEANER. A photo of Deanie in her 90's on a bike.

Bless her!

Spry and a full sense of humor, that take self awareness few can muster at any age. :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #695 on: May 02, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
First Red Scare
:RE Fort Wayne
As I read this clip, I became curious why someone would be arrested if a red flag was flourished during a “Bolshevik” meeting on a Thursday night?
As I googled "Bolshevik” in the USA, I learned about the First Red Scare period during the early 20th-century in the USA. It was a time marked by a widespread fear of Bolshevism and anarchism, due to real and imagined events. What a surprise to read about the history of May Day riots of 1919. Silly me. I have spent hours learning the history of Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra without a complete understanding. I knew that the Tsar and his family were executed in 1918 by local Bolsheviks, all under the command of Bolshevik Yakov Yurovsky.  I was not aware of the RED FLAG movement in the USA in 1919.
As always, thanks for sharing our history from 100 years ago.

I always have trouble comprehending Bolshevik related moments in history.  I read about them but can't retain anything.  Still, I will post news items about them, and am very happy to do so, Fish.  Just so you know, I really enjoy reading your comments on these various news items.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #696 on: May 02, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
From the Library of Congress, May 2, 1919.

The Grants Pass Daily Courier.

The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54388526/edward-john-strodel
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/123082161/paul-moore-ogg

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #697 on: May 03, 2019, 01:29:33 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 3, 1919.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #698 on: May 03, 2019, 06:24:18 AM »
For over 30 years, I have been a volunteer with a local Vietnam Veterans organization. I have firsthand experience with talking to not only veterans but also their families. At this point in time, all the Gold Star parents have passed over. I was very young during the Vietnam War Era, yet I remember the political issues surrounding this era.
Reading these 100 year old news clips is fascinating. I was aware of “Shell Shock” in WWI and Russian Civil War, (1918–20).  Reading these ordinary small town new stories, gives me insight into repercussions of war on the veterans living in 1919.  RE: NOISY AUTOS IRRITATE NERVES OF SOLDIERS.
The Russian Civil War and the May Day riots of 1919 in Cleveland, Ohio on May 1 were connected-the Bolshevik reverberations. No wonder Hugo Ruemmele was knocked to the ground in Cincinnati.
Just so you know, I really enjoy reading your news clips. How do you do it? Are you employed with the Library of Congress? ::)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #699 on: May 03, 2019, 06:29:52 AM »
Has anyone read this book?
The Soldiers' War: The Great War Through Veterans' Eyes
by Richard van Emden

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #700 on: May 04, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
Has anyone read this book?
The Soldiers' War: The Great War Through Veterans' Eyes
by Richard van Emden

No, but oddly enough I have read another 'Veterans-WWI' book by Mr. Emden, called  Veterans: The Last Survivors of the Great War.  Actually, the copy I have is an offshoot of the original title.  It was written up to be a companion piece for interviews that were aired on the BBC.  (Interviews with Britain's remaining group of WWI veterans, both male (soldiers & sailors) and female (nurses.)  It has been quite a number of years since I read the book and I can't remember anything about it.  I do recall that I enjoyed reading it, though.  I should give it another read, I suppose.  On another note, the last American veteran of WWI was Frank Buckles.  I sent Frank an e-mail letter some eight years ago and his PR man was quite touched by it.  He wrote back to say that he would make every effort to read the e-mail to Frank, who by that time was sleeping almost all of the time, except for short periods where he would become conscious.  In fact, Frank died several weeks after I sent the e-mail.  I've often wondered if it was ever read to him or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Buckles

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #701 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16:45 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, May 6, 1919.

The Royal Naval Motor Launch patrol on the river Rhine, 6 May 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205239407 © IWM (Q 7591)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #702 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
No, but oddly enough I have read another 'Veterans-WWI' book by Mr. Emden, called  Veterans: The Last Survivors of the Great War.  Actually, the copy I have is an offshoot of the original title.  It was written up to be a companion piece for interviews that were aired on the BBC.  (Interviews with Britain's remaining group of WWI veterans, both male (soldiers & sailors) and female (nurses.)  It has been quite a number of years since I read the book and I can't remember anything about it.  I do recall that I enjoyed reading it, though.  I should give it another read, I suppose.  On another note, the last American veteran of WWI was Frank Buckles.  I sent Frank an e-mail letter some eight years ago and his PR man was quite touched by it.  He wrote back to say that he would make every effort to read the e-mail to Frank, who by that time was sleeping almost all of the time, except for short periods where he would become conscious.  In fact, Frank died several weeks after I sent the e-mail.  I've often wondered if it was ever read to him or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Buckles
You wrote to Frank Buckles shortly before he passed over. WOW !
He died at the age of 110 years old. I believe that your letter was read to him. Do people like Frank Buckles still exist in our current world?
Yesterday was National Nurses Day. So many of our Veterans and nurses made so many great sacrifices during the war years.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #703 on: May 07, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 7, 1919.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #704 on: May 07, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Grants Pass Daily Courier, May 7, 1919.