Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231390 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: Hornets or Yellowjackets
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2018, 07:29:21 PM »
Call an exterminator, preferably one with a bee suit.

My brother does that sort of work, he has access to chemicals civilians can't buy.  I don't think it is all that expensive

I have not dug much or investigated BUT they seem to be gone? We've had some heavy rains this week so didn't check out. But this weekend was dry but I didn't see any flying around. A "cold-front" coming so maybe they have hunkered down? Or the cheap-ass poison last week, finally took hold? Or maybe natural life-cycle of the beasts that when fall comes the worker soldiers die and the queen(s) is still down there somewhere biding her time for revenge?

For some reason the rains have started by peppers up again. Nothing for most of summer but now, all of a sudden, a lot of banana peppers, cerranos are going crazy, some jalapenos, and, for some odd reason, Tabasco peppers just coming in (they are the weird ones that sorta grow "up," right? I've lost track of what I planted where and the little signs were washed away sometime.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2018, 07:39:45 PM »
I have not dug much or investigated BUT they seem to be gone? We've had some heavy rains this week so didn't check out. But this weekend was dry but I didn't see any flying around. A "cold-front" coming so maybe they have hunkered down? Or the cheap-ass poison last week, finally took hold? Or maybe natural life-cycle of the beasts that when fall comes the worker soldiers die and the queen(s) is still down there somewhere biding her time for revenge?

For some reason the rains have started by peppers up again. Nothing for most of summer but now, all of a sudden, a lot of banana peppers, cerranos are going crazy, some jalapenos, and, for some odd reason, Tabasco peppers just coming in (they are the weird ones that sorta grow "up," right? I've lost track of what I planted where and the little signs were washed away sometime.)

Ha, I grew a number of Tabasco peppers some years back and you are right, they didn't turn red until the first frost occurred.  I did harvest enough of them to put in a long bottle with some olive oil.  I thought I could make my own Tabasco sauce but my experiment didn't work.  I put some of the oil in a pan with something that I was cooking and the kitchen became one big tear gas bomb.  My guests were running around crying and hurling insults at me!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »
Ha, I grew a number of Tabasco peppers some years back and you are right, they didn't turn red until the first frost occurred.  I did harvest enough of them to put in a long bottle with some olive oil.  I thought I could make my own Tabasco sauce but my experiment didn't work.  I put some of the oil in a pan with something that I was cooking and the kitchen became one big tear gas bomb.  My guests were running around crying and hurling insults at me!
I'm gonna try, or try at least the vinegar deal you see at bbq restaurants etc. Or used to, not so much anymore? How can I screw that up? Put the peppers in some vinegar....like
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 07:54:09 PM »
I'm gonna try, or try at least the vinegar deal you see at bbq restaurants etc. Or used to, not so much anymore? How can I screw that up? Put the peppers in some vinegar....like

https://oureverydaylife.com/pickle-tabasco-peppers-vinegar-salt-39279.html
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Thanks! This is looking a bit more complicated than I thought. I never canned anything. I figured I'd just rinse 'em and throw em in a jar with vinegar. Haha. But I think I can figure this out. (If this "cold-front" and rain don't kill em.)

friggin Boston....

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »
i would use cider vinegar in place of white vinegar. it adds a bit of flavor. white vinegar is best used for cleaning purposes.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »
i would use cider vinegar in place of white vinegar. it adds a bit of flavor. white vinegar is best used for cleaning purposes.
Ha. I actually like white vinegar on chips (fries) rather than malt vinegar. Go figure. More tart? Idk. I think the Scots like it also?

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Ha. I actually like white vinegar on chips (fries) rather than malt vinegar. Go figure. More tart? Idk. I think the Scots like it also?
the tartness is the same. the apple cider vinegar adds a subtle apple flavor that i like.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »
the tartness is the same. the apple cider vinegar adds a subtle apple flavor that i like.
Interesting. I like apples most when with stuff like pork. Ideally, and easy, slice some up, some sauerkraut, some pork chops. Bake. Eat with side of apple sauce. For contrast? Since the apples baked are now soured?

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

Great on Collards and turnips. Let it sit for 90 days.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »

Would anybody like to hazard a guess as to what this colorful tree is called?

Answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delonix_regia

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delonix_regia
I was gonna guess some exotic variety of Crepe Myrtle; due to trunk look and tropical local and since the painting/print wasn't very clear on blooms.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
I was gonna guess some exotic variety of Crepe Myrtle; due to trunk look and tropical local and since the painting/print wasn't very clear on blooms.

I thought you might notice the tops of palm trees in the background.  A tip off that it was in Florida, where Flame Trees are prevelant.  (Or were at one time?)  Have you got them in Texas?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
I thought you might notice the tops of palm trees in the background.  A tip off that it was in Florida, where Flame Trees are prevelant.  (Or were at one time?)  Have you got them in Texas?
Apparently though I'm not sure I've seen them. Mainly South TX. But some reports are far north as SA. I guess related to the also non-native "Mimosa" tree and shrubs like "Pride of Barbados" that does grow here.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

Anybody know the name of this flower?  Clue: It can be found in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.