Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28949 times)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 07:01:38 AM »
Yes.

You might want to check this out.
https://lifehacker.com/5894838/customize-your-windows-installation-to-create-the-os-of-your-dreams

You can create an install disc from an up and running OS.

I believe this is the newer version of NT-Lite (which was developed for Win XP) which I've used numerous times, BUT, this version keeps you from removing needed components. (On NT-Lite, you could remove anything - no matter how bad it F***ed up the install)   ;)

Give it a try, all you have to lose is a burnt disc if you create a separate partition to test it out on before you commit your entire disk / flash drive to it.

Or else just DBAN the disc and install Linux.
i didnt bother to dban. i just installed linux, wiping out winders 10.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2018, 04:58:17 AM »
I see that Adobe CC (rented by the month) will now only work with a current operating system - latest update of Windows 10 or Mac OS. They're getting in line to force people to go to the Microsoft Managed Desktop (rented by the month).
Merry Christmas

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
I see that Adobe CC (rented by the month) will now only work with a current operating system - latest update of Windows 10 or Mac OS. They're getting in line to force people to go to the Microsoft Managed Desktop (rented by the month).
yet another reason to move to any thing other than windows. Unless that software is mission critical and only runs on windows (bogus imo)

Lob Bazare

• KDWN
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
I found this beauty at work today. Brand new from 2005. Blast from the past. Never used and still had the plastic film on the screen. Battery wouldn't take a charge and it only worked when plugged in. An enormous 128MB SD card and foldable IR keyboard was included.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »
I have a Palm T2 that still charges enough for me to use it as a prop in one of the talks I give. They were wonderful devices for their time.
Merry Christmas

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
Capt Crunch was not aware but a caller claimed there was a number, or series of numbers, on your phone to tell if was tapped. Art confirmed and said number would reply with tones; one would indicate local, State,.Federal, etc but then cryptically said "he didn't want to give out details."  Anyone know if this was remotely true? I can't see it except, maybe, for officials or something. Note this.was before most lines/switches n devices digital so MAYBE some thing could be 'found out' by line resistance or something. But by calling a number?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
Capt Crunch was not aware but a caller claimed there was a number, or series of numbers, on your phone to tell if was tapped. Art confirmed and said number would reply with tones; one would indicate local, State,.Federal, etc but then cryptically said "he didn't want to give out details."  Anyone know if this was remotely true? I can't see it except, maybe, for officials or something. Note this.was before most lines/switches n devices digital so MAYBE some thing could be 'found out' by line resistance or something. But by calling a number?

The only thing I remember is a series of tones you could put in or a number you could dial and then the switch would call you back in 10-15 seconds to test the line. It was a prank we woukd pull at other peoples homes. The phone woukd ring but noone would be on the line. I don’t remember the details.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
The only thing I remember is a series of tones you could put in or a number you could dial and then the switch would call you back in 10-15 seconds to test the line. It was a prank we woukd pull at other peoples homes. The phone woukd ring but noone would be on the line. I don’t remember the details.
I recall that. And also party lines (including the unofficial ones Capt Crunch show caller mentioned,) and the phone phreaks and later phone scams by the #9 to get outside line/conference call, and some deal about using paperclip on mic on handset n touch metal on coin box to get call, supposedly. Don't remember a "are you being tapped" number. I know phone n cable companies can tell when stealing services or install unauthorized lines

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »
Erhm...     https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternatives-to-adobe-creative-cloud

Worth a look.  ;)
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »
i didnt bother to dban. i just installed linux, wiping out winders 10.
LOL - That'll do it - unless those pesky Russians installed a hidden r/o partition.    (heh, heh, heh)
JK...    Linux will totally wipe the entire disc if you select it on install, or if you dd the disc - but you know this.    ;)
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:54 AM »
LOL - That'll do it - unless those pesky Russians installed a hidden r/o partition.    (heh, heh, heh)
JK...    Linux will totally wipe the entire disc if you select it on install, or if you dd the disc - but you know this.    ;)
Isn't there 'stuff' n 'chips' anyway? Even IF you arent dealing with notorious routers or internet or cell networks etc. That are exploitable even by design or once might attempt connections or even do so remotely without command (assuming not air gapped, etc?) In other words can one 'trust' even the basics? Obviously the connections and peripherals are compromised, by design?

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2018, 01:45:17 AM »
Here's a little history on Phreaking.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/02/whatever-happened-to-the-phone-phreaks/273332/

As far as being able to tell if your phone is tapped, it doesn't matter with digital. ALL phone conversations, texts, etc, etc, etc, since 2003 have been stored, cataloged, and profiled.  (Analog + digital)
Yes ECHELON goes back to '56, but it's been stored and profiled en-mass since 2003. EVERY electronic communication has been profiled, and they are available to any, and all, LEO's

Phreaking is pretty much dead. The phone companies can now tell where the signal is coming from within milliseconds. Bypassing the security is now pretty much impossible - unless you are highly specialized in that area of expertise.  (It can still be done, but you need some serious equipment.) 

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2018, 01:53:39 AM »
Here's a little history on Phreaking.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/02/whatever-happened-to-the-phone-phreaks/273332/

As far as being able to tell if your phone is tapped, it doesn't matter with digital. ALL phone conversations, texts, etc, etc, etc, since 2003 have been stored, cataloged, and profiled.  (Analog + digital)
Yes ECHELON goes back to '56, but it's been stored and profiled en-mass since 2003. EVERY electronic communication has been profiled, and they are available to any, and all, LEO's

Phreaking is pretty much dead. The phone companies can now tell where the signal is coming from within milliseconds. Bypassing the security is now pretty much impossible - unless you are highly specialized in that area of expertise.  (It can still be done, but you need some serious equipment.)
Thanks. I have no nefarious or illegal designs. But curious. So my one-time pads made my random recorded traffic patterns and doppler storm data sent via encrypted short-term SW blasts or number stations won't work. Got a bottle of vodka on this....kidding.
ps: kidding and appreciate your info. Phreaking.was cool.because I could LIMITED understand, the whole computer stuff with hacking and now beyond me.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2018, 05:04:54 AM »
Isn't there 'stuff' n 'chips' anyway? Even IF you arent dealing with notorious routers or internet or cell networks etc. That are exploitable even by design or once might attempt connections or even do so remotely without command (assuming not air gapped, etc?) In other words can one 'trust' even the basics? Obviously the connections and peripherals are compromised, by design?
all intel chips since 1995 (except itanium and early atom chips) have whats called "intel me" . this is a on chip operating system (its integrated into the processor itself), meant for sysadmins to be able to remotely configure a  computer. it has many exploits all of which are undetectable by any other operating system (linux,bsd, windows etc)or antivirus.
it can only be fixed by:
1. firmware (bios + microcode) updates (often with detrimental effects)
2. hardware changes during manufacture of said chips.
intel also has ongoing issues with spectre/meltdown, with seemingly weekly revisions of this appearing which bypass mitigation's by intel and OS vendors.
its my opinion that the US govt has known about these flaws since 2008 (and possibly earlier), and has exploited these silently via some sort of malware they have written. only the actual code writers need to know the actual exploit, and the finished program was distributed to govt employed actors to basically steal data.

amd ryzen is affected by affected by the above, but to a much lessor degree.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
AI sucks at stopping online trolls spewing toxic comments timestamp 29:18