Author Topic: Your "Groundhog Day" Decade  (Read 4034 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: Your "Groundhog Day" Decade
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »
My hair and I have an agreement we have had since the 80’s. I politely suggest what I would like it to do. It tells me to fuck off and does what it wants.
As long as it doesn't fall out in clumps you have only a minor squabble to proctor. ;D

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »
Also to add ... computing was much more fun in the 80’s.

My sister’s boyfriend gave me a Vic20 in 82 (she re met him 25 years later and they are now married!), then I got a CBM64, then an Atari ST, then my beautiful Amiga.

Mission Impossible was the BEST game of the 80’s.

Arcade games in actual arcades were fabulous. Marble Madness!

Oh god I am off on a graze to find them now...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

...is now updated to:

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »
You folks make me feel so young and immature ;)

That's why I post on forums filled with Boomers. It's increasingly harder to feel younger these days, and I'll take the Fifth on that maturity thing.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
Oh Reagan, I mean there's a reason above all others.

But...I digress slightly...for those who prefer the 70s or 60s consider - everything you had then, you kept in the 80s. Classic rock had swiftly embraced both those seminal periods of music and you could marinate yourself in the root wine of rock and roll whilst still enjoying a brandy snifter of U2.

What's not to like?

The Cold War is not to like. I don't miss those anxious moments when I heard the emergency broadcast system and our local storm sirens at weird times. My mind "went there". On the plus side, the old EBS tone beats the psychotic robotic squawk that we have now.

Reagan was one of the best things about the '80s. He brought in an era of peace and prosperity and his new "fans", in the Democratic propaganda news outlets, treated him like Trump. His young fans were called Reagan Youth by aging yippies. Nothing is new under the sun, but some things stink more when they rot more.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »
That's why I post on forums filled with Boomers. It's increasingly harder to feel younger these days, and I'll take the Fifth on that maturity thing.

LOL, rare personal candor, of course the next step is hanging out at the senior center and borrowing their old magazines... ::)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
The Cold War is not to like. I don't miss those anxious moments when I heard the emergency broadcast system and our local storm sirens at weird times. My mind "went there". On the plus side, the old EBS tone beats the psychotic robotic squawk that we have now.

OK that's one demerit, but it sure beats the Cuban missile crisis and "duck and cover". :)

Reagan was one of the best things about the '80s. He brought in an era of peace and prosperity and his new "fans", in the Democratic propaganda news outlets, treated him like Trump. His young fans were called Reagan Youth by aging yippies. Nothing is new under the sun, but some things stink more when they rot more.

The best thing about Reagan was his genuine and unabashed optimism. It was cool to love America, and it was amazing when we had the "miracle on ice". There was nothing forced or inauthentic about any of it - just a nation for a short while not engaged in self-loathing. That mattered. :)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
LOL, rare personal candor, of course the next step is hanging out at the senior center and borrowing their old magazines... ::)

Thanks for the tip. I'll do just that when I turn 50 and have my next midlife crisis.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
OK that's one demerit, but it sure beats the Cuban missile crisis and "duck and cover". :)

The best thing about Reagan was his genuine and unabashed optimism. It was cool to love America, and it was amazing when we had the "miracle on ice". There was nothing forced or inauthentic about any of it - just a nation for a short while not engaged in self-loathing. That mattered. :)

I missed the nuclear bomb drills, but we had tornado drills. The warning sirens were just the same. I once heard one and the EBS tone at the same time! I genuinely thought that we were under attack.

Ronald Reagan was the best. Like you said, he was full of hope and optimism, two needed traits that later became scarce, especially after 9/11. His leftist critics said that he was full of other things. Now, some of those same critics praise him while they condemn Donald Trump as "no Ronald Reagan".

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
I missed the nuclear bomb drills, but we had tornado drills. The warning sirens were just the same. I once heard one and the EBS tone at the same time! I genuinely thought that we were under attack.

Ronald Reagan was the best. Like you said, he was full of hope and optimism, two needed traits that later became scarce, especially after 9/11. His leftist critics said that he was full of other things. Now, some of those same critics praise him while they condemn Donald Trump as "no Ronald Reagan".

I lived near a Nike Ajax site that was on North Avenue near Hwy 53 in Lombard/Addison, Illinois. It was strange seeing surface to air missiles when they would rotate and ready the missiles during an exercise.
Are we having fun yet?

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
I lived near a Nike Ajax site that was on North Avenue near Hwy 53 in Lombard/Addison, Illinois. It was strange seeing surface to air missiles when they would rotate and ready the missiles during an exercise.

We lived close to Ground Zero when I was a kid, so I can relate to that. This was during the days of "The Day After" and "War Games". I saw mushroom clouds in my immediate future. My only consolation was that I would get zapped in a split second.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »

Trinity Site, NM

Trinitite formed by the blast.

https://www.trinfinity8.com/evidence-of-ancient-civilization-nuclear-wars/