Author Topic: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.  (Read 41238 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: Random pictures of my great work. You're welcome.
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
I digress as I get back to my question. My flight lands in Newark and from there I am to rent a car and travel south down the garden state parkway. Are you familiar with the area? Google directions have proved to be fruitless. Is the GSP in close proximity to the airport in Newark? The idea is to rent a car, get in and start the car, and then head to Keyport without getting lost resulting in pulling over and crying at the roadside :D I thank you in advance for any information you may have.
Don't try to get directly from the airport to the Parkway.  Take the NJ Tpke. S to the GSP.

If you wanted you could even skip the GSP and take US 9 & NJ 35 to Keyport, although under most traffic conditions that'd take longer.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2019, 08:30:58 PM »
Thanks, Robert. Do people ever call you Bob, and if so, do you mind? It's an odd thing, in my mind, to do so (call William Bill, Robert Bob etc.) but it is a thing.
I get called Bob a lot, & don't mind at all.  Unfortunately I wound up w a lot of Bob friends, & it'd've been more convenient if some of us were called Robert, others Bob, maybe a Rob or Bobby or even Bobo, to distinguish us.  Sometimes one calls here, "Bob, this is Bob, may I speak to Bob?"

In my immediate family I was always Robert (except for the brief period my baby sister called me 'Obby; much later our dog as channeled by Daddy called me 'Obby), but my cousins named Robert were always Bobs or Bobbies to us.  Meanwhile those cousins were Roberts in their immediate families but I was Bobby to them.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
Now that I've looked up Real Gymm in Keyport, I see on OpenStreetMap.org it would be better on all acc'ts to take as little of the Garden St. Pkwy. as possible.  You get out of Newark Airport going south on the NJ Turnpike.  Go to Exit 11, which these days is configured so you have to take a little bit of the Garden State Parkway south to get onto US Route 9 (years ago it was the other way around).  Once you do that, continue south and when you see a down ramp to continue south on Route 9, don't.  Just go straight ahead and you'll be on NJ 35.

Route 35 has a right-hand exit (jughandle turn) onto Amboy Road, which becomes Front Street in Keyport.  You just go to 17-19 West Front Street.  This is much simpler than the approach would've been from the GSP Keyport exit.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Now that I've looked up Real Gymm in Keyport, I see on OpenStreetMap.org it would be better on all acc'ts to take as little of the Garden St. Pkwy. as possible.  You get out of Newark Airport going south on the NJ Turnpike.  Go to Exit 11, which these days is configured so you have to take a little bit of the Garden State Parkway south to get onto US Route 9 (years ago it was the other way around).  Once you do that, continue south and when you see a down ramp to continue south on Route 9, don't.  Just go straight ahead and you'll be on NJ 35.

Route 35 has a right-hand exit (jughandle turn) onto Amboy Road, which becomes Front Street in Keyport.  You just go to 17-19 West Front Street.  This is much simpler than the approach would've been from the GSP Keyport exit.
Huge thanks for that @Robert  You make it sound easy, or at least very doable for an NJ novice. :D

sumethinz new

• KDWN
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 05:47:01 AM »
I get called Bob a lot, & don't mind at all.  Unfortunately I wound up w a lot of Bob friends, & it'd've been more convenient if some of us were called Robert, others Bob, maybe a Rob or Bobby or even Bobo, to distinguish us.  Sometimes one calls here, "Bob, this is Bob, may I speak to Bob?"

In my immediate family I was always Robert (except for the brief period my baby sister called me 'Obby; much later our dog as channeled by Daddy called me 'Obby), but my cousins named Robert were always Bobs or Bobbies to us.  Meanwhile those cousins were Roberts in their immediate families but I was Bobby to them.

Somehow I didn't think you would mind being called Bob, you seeming to be so laid back and all. If I was you, what with all the other Bobs, Bobbies and Roberts, and such, I'd insist on being called THE Bob!, although 'Obby is definitely a fun nickname!

Interesting, or perhaps not to most, but to this day I refer to my sis as Shell because I couldn't pronounce Michele as a kid. Always fun to remember asking my sister to pass the eggs when at the breakfast table, as in, "can you pass the egg, shell?" *a hint for those of us who may need a moment to catch up...we were NOT eating eggshells*  Silly and uninteresting for most, I know...but it's a fond story for me.

In all fairness and in keeping with the theme of this thread, I will now recall that the table and chairs where we sat in the kitchen as a family was set atop some very cheap and cracked linoleum flooring. When I would get bored with the horrible, HORRIBLE powdered eggs and milk, or even when I would get in trouble, I would hide under the table hoping for something better to eat or that I'd somehow be forgotten in some fit of luck lol. It was under that table that I'd look for the random patterns you can find in that type of flooring (like faces and clouds and such.) Most of the time I imagined finding some rather disturbing demons that I thought would somehow get me someday. What an imagination!

Thanks y'all, for indulging me in my telling of such a meaningless story, but memories and how time changes them are interesting. Someone somewhere (not here) said that "remember when" stories are the most boring and pointless. fuck them

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »
First job of the new year. I'll always say that hardwood and engineered hardwood floors look better than most laminate floors. This laminate is a reasonably cheap product and it's not the most attractive print IMO.. but with this paint and the baseboards that I installed today, these laminate floors look pretty good. Why these people built this beautiful new rather large home and then decided on, laminate flooring? They do have two large dogs and laminate is much more scratch resistant so maybe that's why.

Anyways I guess with the right paint, trim, and natural light through large windows almost any floor can look really nice.
That looks very good for laminate. What type of laminate is it? Any experience with the new vinyl flooring planks? When I first heard vinyl I said no way, but apparently this is not the same vinyl from years ago and some people really like it. If cost wasn't a big issue, and you were installing a floor (on a concrete slab) with pets and possible spills or accidents, what would you put down?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
@MaxPower  The laminate flooring is made by Tarkett.

To answer your question; vinyl planking has gotten really popular in the last few years. A lot of restaurants have the glue down planking, you could pour a gallon of water on it and leave it overnight, no damage whatsoever. I just did a couple of bathrooms in the click lock system vinyl planking, and it's great for the DIYer because it's so easy to install. It's waterproof, very scratch resistant and very low maintenance. And yes it's great over slab. You can also install laminate over concrete making it a little warmer of a floor because it has an underlayment and of course laminate is thicker. Carpet over slab would be the warmest.. but.. it's carpet :-\ Some of the laminate products these days are extremely well made and look beautiful.

PS vynil planking and laminate are fine with pets. I have a 145 lb dog all over my laminate, no scratches. The engineered hardwood I plan on replacing all the laminate with will be a little less scratch resiliant but it'll hold up.

hope that helps :)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
@MaxPower  The laminate flooring is made by Tarkett.

To answer your question; vinyl planking has gotten really popular in the last few years. A lot of restaurants have the glue down planking, you could pour a gallon of water on it and leave it overnight, no damage whatsoever. I just did a couple of bathrooms in the click lock system vinyl planking, and it's great for the DIYer because it's so easy to install. It's waterproof, very scratch resistant and very low maintenance. And yes it's great over slab. You can also install laminate over concrete making it a little warmer of a floor because it has an underlayment and of course laminate is thicker. Carpet over slab would be the warmest.. but.. it's carpet :-\ Some of the laminate products these days are extremely well made and look beautiful.

PS vynil planking and laminate are fine with pets. I have a 145 lb dog all over my laminate, no scratches. The engineered hardwood I plan on replacing all the laminate with will be a little less scratch resiliant but it'll hold up.

hope that helps :)
@ksm32  Thanks for your reply and for the information. It's great to hear from someone who has worked with this type of flooring. I find this type of information more valuable than the product sales information. This will be replacing old carpet. I looked through the rest of this thread and from the photos you posted you do excellent work.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:29 PM »
@ksm32  Thanks for your reply and for the information. It's great to hear from someone who has worked with this type of flooring. I find this type of information more valuable than the product sales information. This will be replacing old carpet. I looked through the rest of this thread and from the photos you posted you do excellent work.
Thank you for the kind words.    If you're going to do it yourself, and this means ripping out the old carpet.. hopefully it's not been glued down to the cement. That can be a long tedious process resulting in copious amount colorful language. Could just be tack strip fastened and that would be preferable.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.    If you're going to do it yourself, and this means ripping out the old carpet.. hopefully it's not been glued down to the cement. That can be a long tedious process resulting in copious amount colorful language. Could just be tack strip fastened and that would be preferable.
The carpet is not glued, just tack strips. We have to cut it up in strips 5 feet or less wide so the city will pick it up. It will be a one room at a time project. The carpet is 18 years old and has held up really well but with 4 rescue dogs, getting rid of the carpet will make cleaning easier.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

I’m currently having the floor in my house replaced. I had laminate and ceramic tile on concrete and I am going with a real thick vinyl plank. (8mm). It had a better warranty than the laminate and a thicker backing. They put down a moisture barrier first. 
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »
I’m currently having the floor in my house replaced. I had laminate and ceramic tile on concrete and I am going with a real thick vinyl plank. (8mm). It had a better warranty than the laminate and a thicker backing. They put down a moisture barrier first.
8 mil vinyl plank, that's the stuff. Only a matter of time before 8 is the standard and laminate products may be in trouble..

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2019, 11:45:27 PM »
These stairs may not be spiraled like a previous laminate stair entry but these are real 1" hardwood steps done this week. Wood look over carpet any day. Although some pets, large dogs in particular can be very weary of these beauties. I can assure you, the picture does not do any justice. they even smell good :D

Hopefully this doesn't come out sideways.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
Taking a risk here, but this is Brazilian Cherry Hardwood left over scraps from a job I did a few years ago. Customer wanted to throw the excess product (ignoring my advice) out so I brought it home and covered my home bar with it. 

Point is; always keep some of your left over flooring. They didn't and now they are desperately searching for a matching product to replace about 6 planks due to dragging a dishwasher across their kitchen. I can offer them my bar, but that won't help and this particular line has been since discontinued. So they're screwed.

Just like food, you can always utilize leftovers.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2019, 07:02:37 AM »

Once someone sees what is under their carpet they never want to have carpet again.