Author Topic: They Should Know Better!  (Read 3106 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: They Should Know Better!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »
Indeed I do.  Clenched so hard, I snapped that bugger right off.
lol What a trooper, practicing for the real thing.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »
This one tops the list.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I was taught that for possession, the apostrophe goes after the s.

The cat's running.
The cats' toy.

Then and than are easy. Occasionally, depending on how well my brain is, I have trouble with lay/lie...

My schools were more interested in test scores and projects than actually teaching :(
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 12:58:35 AM »
I was taught that for possession, the apostrophe goes after the s.

The cat's running.
The cats' toy.

Then and than are easy. Occasionally, depending on how well my brain is, I have trouble with lay/lie...

My schools were more interested in test scores and projects than actually teaching :(
For plural cats, that's definitely right.  Not so sure about singular cats though.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 05:42:12 AM »
30-years ago Dave Barry wrote that an apostrophe had become a warning that an s was about to appear at the end of a word - Check’s not excepted here.

Now it appears to be a character that can be randomly inserted into a name - D’Andre, Sha’neequa, Ja’karta, etc.
Merry Christmas

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
This one tops the list.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's a good thing that "Bob's" has an apostrophe! Now, I'm in the mood for a Big Boy hamburger.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
Nucky, if you could only see the messages and emails I receive from potential customers when looking for an estimate or anything else.

Nothing but small run-on sentences with no punctuation whatsoever. No caps, no nothing!

"hello can you give estimate on hardwood floors a rent suite might be laminate" << That is actually a descriptive one compared to others that will read like a child sent it.  "can you floor in june" < That one is verbatim! No ?mark no nothing!  I'm supposed to be the dumb blue collar guy?  :-\ God help us.

I feel your pain. It's like they think that they'll be charged a fee per punctuation mark. I also hate it when people turn comments into questions ("Shaq is tall?"). Are you asking me or telling me?

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
affect v. effect
two v. too v. to
Anyone who pronounces "similar" as "simular"

"You to are two stupid too breathe." I've gotten many variations of that particular theme. I also see a nigh universal mixup of "loser" and "looser". I assume that they're pairing "looser" with "winner" rather than "tighter".

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »
30-years ago Dave Barry wrote that an apostrophe had become a warning that an s was about to appear at the end of a word - Check’s not excepted here.

Now it appears to be a character that can be randomly inserted into a name - D’Andre, Sha’neequa, Ja’karta, etc.

Rap spawned its own unique grammar. Note that there's no apostrophe in "its".

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
'is' in place of "are"

I'm hearing this all over the place lately. Even on last weeks MasterChef where one chef while referring to all the others said "there is no friends here" HUH?  Unless I'm really tuned into this particular yet minor audible crime, I'm hearing it a lot!

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
'is' in place of "are"

I'm hearing this all over the place lately. Even on last weeks MasterChef where one chef while referring to all the others said "there is no friends here" HUH?  Unless I'm really tuned into this particular yet minor audible crime, I'm hearing it a lot!

same same . I am hearing this too

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »
'is' in place of "are"

I hope that it's just the Blue Mustang Syndrome where you notice more blue Mustangs because you think about them more. I is somewhat stumped by this new trend.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
I just read a post, on a second forum, that brought up a new pet peeve of mine. I often read posts in which someone types "defiantly" instead of "definitely". I really and truly don't get why so many people repeatedly make the same mistake. I defiantly don't!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »
'is' in place of "are"

One of my guys used it today!!  I've mentally fired him!! ;D

"There is not enough planks left to finish this suite, can you call Arden?"

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »
same same . I am hearing this too
'is' in place of "are"

Part of it is that nouns are becoming verbs.  When an activity is represented by a verb, "is" is correct.  Like:

"There is no doing lunch here," instead of There Are No Lunches Here.
"There is incentivizing here," instead of There Are Incentives Here.
"There is anonymizing here," instead of There Are Anonymous Posts Here.