Author Topic: Random memories from a life well lived  (Read 14813 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Random memories from a life well lived
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
I started this thread to capture random memories as I rearrange my neural network. It feels like I am in the process of a defrag. But please feel free to use this thread to document any memories you would like to share, or start your own thread.
Are we having fun yet?

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
This movie was made in 1974. I started bobsledding in December, 1975 after the team was already selected for 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck. I know and competed against every single one of the people in this film. We had a great rivalry against the Navy. In 5 years my team never lost a 4man race to them. By October, 1976 I had beaten all of the Navy SEALS in individual push start competition. Between 1976 and 1980 the Air Force number 1 sled had the fastest push times in the US or Canada. The action footage in this film shows what the bobrun was like when I started. In 1979 they kept the same basic track layout but had deplaced all of the stone curves and wooden straightaways with concrete and refrigeration. Before 1980 the track record for the 4 man was 1:04:00. I was select as one of ten 2 man drivers to test the track in December, 1979. My first run down, with just a jog at the start broke the 4 man record at 1:03:97. Scary fast. The bottom half of the track has been redesigned to make it safer. If you go there today you can get a ride on a 4-man sled.

Enjoy.

That’s amazing! Looks fun.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
I started this thread to capture random memories as I rearrange my neural network. It feels like I am in the process of a defrag. But please feel free to use this thread to document any memories you would like to share, or start your own thread.

Keep posting as much as you can. I enjoy reading your life’s adventures.

LittleChris

• Hall Of Famer
  • Drone Pilot
    • Join The Conversation!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »
When everyday was an adventure.

https://youtu.be/zUEp_CFPne0

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
My father owned a small construction company in Chicago when I was very young. One of my earliest memories is of me sitting in his lap in a green and white pickup truck and steering the truck as we drove down a side street. There was a cloverleaf emblem on the door. I was probably 3 or 4.

Meh.   I've heard of a dude that was helping Doc Salk knock out that pesky Polio deal when he was that age. 

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
Meh.   I've heard of a dude that was helping Doc Salk knock out that pesky Polio deal when he was that age.

Yeah. I had to get driven to and from the job sites but I was building concrete forms at 3 and managing a whole crew at 4.
Are we having fun yet?

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »
How about your adventures at JSTPS (the ones you can talk about of course.)

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
I’m not done reading. Get your ass back here and tell us some more stories!

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
When I was in the air force at Plattsburgh AFB, a van club, the Adirondack ShowVanIsts met at the mister donut. I ordered a 1977 dodge van and joined them. All the van had was the two stock seats up front. I scrounged screws and rivets from the flight line, and designed a custom interior centered around the sound system and the double bed in the rear. The waitress at mister donut was cute. I married her. We went everywhere in that van. All through New England, down the east coast to Florida for a honeymoon, moved to Omaha where we joined the Omaha trucking co.  Went to rock mountain national park, vail, denver, all over Nebraska and Iowa. A trip back to NY for the 80 Olympics. Drove it to Biloxi, MS for an air force tech school and held parties on panama beach and Ft Walton beach every weekend during that summer. Drove it down to KC for a Oilers football game and finally used it to move to Houston when I separated. I did all the body work, paint and lettering. Designed a custom oak dash and wooden overhead console for the cb radio and some map lights. Very comfortable traveling van with one short fall. No air conditioning. Had to sell it about a year after I got to Houston. You can’t live without ac in Houston. My CB handle was “Slider”. Everyone called me Slider. No one from the van club showed up yo my wedding.  The next week I asked why. When they got the invitation it had my real name and they didn’t know who that was.
Are we having fun yet?

Jayzelady

• Ellevated
  • Revenge of the chocolate bunnies!!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
When I was in the air force at Plattsburgh AFB, a van club, the Adirondack ShowVanIsts met at the mister donut. I ordered a 1977 dodge van and joined them. All the van had was the two stock seats up front. I scrounged screws and rivets from the flight line, and designed a custom interior centered around the sound system and the double bed in the rear. The waitress at mister donut was cute. I married her. We went everywhere in that van. All through New England, down the east coast to Florida for a honeymoon, moved to Omaha where we joined the Omaha trucking co.  Went to rock mountain national park, vail, denver, all over Nebraska and Iowa. A trip back to NY for the 80 Olympics. Drove it to Biloxi, MS for an air force tech school and held parties on panama beach and Ft Walton beach every weekend during that summer. Drove it down to KC for a Oilers football game and finally used it to move to Houston when I separated. I did all the body work, paint and lettering. Designed a custom oak dash and wooden overhead console for the cb radio and some map lights. Very comfortable traveling van with one short fall. No air conditioning. Had to sell it about a year after I got to Houston. You can’t live without ac in Houston. My CB handle was “Slider”. Everyone called me Slider. No one from the van club showed up yo my wedding.  The next week I asked why. When they got the invitation it had my real name and they didn’t know who that was.

Great story, GS!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

@GravitySucks

So if I am reading this right, you drilled the chick that worked down at the Mister Donut?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »
@GravitySucks

So if I am reading this right, you drilled the chick that worked down at the Mister Donut?

Not as often or as long as I would have liked, but yeah.
Are we having fun yet?

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »
Not as often or as long as I would have liked, but yeah.

Yeah, it's rough when all the corporates give you is an hour long break.  It took me 25 minutes to get there and 25 to drive back. :-\
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
Nice van!! Ok without  in Mississippi and FLA but finally in Houston you needed A/C? I would've thought A/C was needed in those areas also though I knew a lady who grew up outside Philadelphia (no PA but place of infamous race murders) who grew up with no A/C and never used the A/C here in TX even in the summer. Crazy.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Nice van!! Ok without  in Mississippi and FLA but finally in Houston you needed A/C? I would've thought A/C was needed in those areas also though I knew a lady who grew up outside Philadelphia (no PA but place of infamous race murders) who grew up with no A/C and never used the A/C here in TX even in the summer. Crazy.

Pffft..     Screw the van dude.  Let's hear more tales of debauchery down at the Mr. Donut!