Author Topic: Things that annoy you  (Read 36444 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: Things that annoy you
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »
I hope Pabst prevails because if not it could mean the end to Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, and Natty Boh? Though I would find it hard to believe someone wouldn't pick them up because they have pretty decent niche and marketshare in some regions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/beer-giants-face-court-over-brewing-battle-n935346

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2018, 07:05:29 AM »
I hope Pabst prevails because if not it could mean the end to Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, and Natty Boh? Though I would find it hard to believe someone wouldn't pick them up because they have pretty decent niche and marketshare in some regions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/beer-giants-face-court-over-brewing-battle-n935346

I’ve always found it amazing that Pabst is so popular.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
In recent years they marketed it to hipsters etc. Like go "old school," dive bar vibe. Sort of how records are now popular again and you see the kids wearing a fedora. Other than that the only appeal was the cheapness and brand loyalty in certain regions by "working class" folks.  There have been several ownership changes over the recent decades but a consortium, basically, bought up a lot of regional, traditional brands and contracted brewing them to serve those regional markets where brand loyalty was strong. Then Pabst bought them out and continued the tradition. So, Lonestar, PBR, Natty Bo, Olympia, Old Style, etc still existed in those markets but not brewed by the original companies.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
In recent years they marketed it to hipsters etc...

In the craft beer era it became the cheap option in the bar that wasn't Bud, Miller, etc.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »

I spent 6 months in China in 1986, mostly just travelling around.  The handful of people whose homes I visited, small stores, etc, often had dilapidated little cabinets where they kept and displayed their dusty treasures.  One never knew what sorts of things people would have in them.

One day, in some town the middle of nowhere, I went inside a small store to hopefully get something to drink.  Tucked away behind the counter, and in it's shadow, was one of these old looking display cabinets.   

The store didn't have lights on, or much sunlight, and while I was drinking my orange soda - every town made their own beer, their own jars of yogurt, and their own orange soda, and if you bought any you had to drink or eat it right there because they wouldn't let you take the bottle or jar with you - I looked to see what he had in his cabinet.

Staring at it, I saw there was an ancient unopened bottle of beer in there.  Covered with dust, stuck in the back, at some point I realized it was what must have been a decades old bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon, the only non-Chinese beer I saw on that trip.

I was shocked to see it, after months of nothing but Chinese goods.  I really was just curious about it (Pabst, really?) - where he got it, how old was it, just look at it, but no dice - I think he thought I wanted to drink it.

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
I spent 6 months in China in 1986, mostly just travelling around.  The handful of people whose homes I visited, small stores, etc, often had dilapidated little cabinets where they kept and displayed their dusty treasures.  One never knew what sorts of things people would have in them.

One day, in some town the middle of nowhere, I went inside a small store to hopefully get something to drink.  Tucked away behind the counter, and in it's shadow, was one of these old looking display cabinets.   

The store didn't have lights on, or much sunlight, and while I was drinking my orange soda - every town made their own beer, their own jars of yogurt, and their own orange soda, and if you bought any you had to drink or eat it right there because they wouldn't let you take the bottle or jar with you - I looked to see what he had in his cabinet.

Staring at it, I saw there was an ancient unopened bottle of beer in there.  Covered with dust, stuck in the back, at some point I realized it was what must have been a decades old bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon, the only non-Chinese beer I saw on that trip.

I was shocked to see it, after months of nothing but Chinese goods.  I really was just curious about it (Pabst, really?) - where he got it, how old was it, just look at it, but no dice - I think he thought I wanted to drink it.

Nice write up PB.. I was in China in 1985, being 6ft 3 inches with bright red hair. I  was mobbed many times, being the first westerner many of them ever saw. Amazing time to visit when they were still riding bicycles for transportation in the large cities. I remember their first TVs were their proudest possession.
The Public service commercials on TV about not drinking the last remains of empty soda bottles found in a ditch and Chinese operas were standard fare.
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
being 6ft 3 inches with bright red hair. I  was mobbed many times

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

The character on the right must be the Chinese version of Hamburglar

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »
The character on the right must be the Chinese version of Hamburglar

The eelburglar

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »

In 1985 the first American Fast Food restaurant opened in Tiananmen Square. A Kentucky Fried Chicken.

They probably were all excited seeing me, thinking  I was an "Advanced Man" Ronald McDonald. My sole brush with fame.

When traveling abroad its interesting to try a McDonald's burgers. In Australia they taste weird like they use kangaroo meat. In Poland because they have much higher restaurant food standards,  they are "forced " to use a better grade of beef to compete. 
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

GROYPN4LIFE

• KIDD
  • want 2 pet my puddy cat
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
Fat cows with big mouths that regurgitate their own grasses

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:46 AM »
Condos and townhomes with the side of one resident Christmas decorated totally differently than the other side.  If the 2-4 adults in each condo association residential structure can't plan and agree on something that simple, geez.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2018, 03:12:25 AM »
Fat cows with big mouths that regurgitate their own grasses

Um, cows are ruminants (4 stomachs).  That's what they do.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »
In 1985 the first American Fast Food restaurant opened in Tiananmen Square. A Kentucky Fried Chicken.

They probably were all excited seeing me, thinking  I was an "Advanced Man" Ronald McDonald. My sole brush with fame.

When traveling abroad its interesting to try a McDonald's burgers. In Australia they taste weird like they use kangaroo meat. In Poland because they have much higher restaurant food standards,  they are "forced " to use a better grade of beef to compete.

God Bless you, WhiteCrow.  I'm glad you are doing well! ;D :-*

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
Quotations on memes, quotations on posters, or quotations in general, that aren't sourced. Just so-and-so said/wrote this: "xxxxxxxx."

Some of them are inspiring, some funny, cause self-reflection, or politically motivate but so many quotes are fake, attributed incorrectly, or parsed so that the original meaning is different than what was intended by the author.  And the interwebs is so bad now for researching things it is hard to find places that correctly investigate and attribute/cite the quotes-- you just get site after site saying the same snipped quote with no citation. So you get "fake quotes," or, at least, quotes that you can't be sure aren't fake.