Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427184 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #750 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:47 PM »
Thank you, @anniem.  I'm glad.

Really appreciate your efforts. I read this thread everyday. I 1+ you too, but don't often mention when I do that to people. I did like Bart's idea about Like, so I'll do that now and then. Oh, for today's articles....

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #751 on: May 16, 2019, 08:03:07 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 16, 1919.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=96.msg188222#msg188222)
Muncie has a big boy on their hands! Must be a smaller draft of some kind? So strange that they gave all the weights and dimensions but didn't say who, what, or how! I guessing the headline was: Big Horse, Little Hole.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #752 on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
Next Question: What is Black Bread?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #753 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #754 on: May 16, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »

Those German Bastards!!!!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #755 on: May 17, 2019, 01:39:42 AM »

Here is a recipe for German Black Bread, though I'm pretty sure that it isn't the same as the WWI black bread.  (I have a number of books on British and American prisoners of war during WWI and they were served the black bread.  They said that the bread had sawdust for filler and was hard as a brick.  Some of them would crack a tooth while trying to eat the bread.)

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/german-black-bread-41218  (This bread has some nice ingredients in it.  I bet it is pretty tasty.) 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #756 on: May 17, 2019, 01:52:05 AM »
Muncie has a big boy on their hands! Must be a smaller draft of some kind? So strange that they gave all the weights and dimensions but didn't say who, what, or how! I guessing the headline was: Big Horse, Little Hole.

Also, what was a 1,600 pound horse doing in the upper floor of a local clothing store?  Shopping for a new harness?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #757 on: May 17, 2019, 02:05:37 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  Image from page 1121 of "Hardware Merchandising," March-June 1919.

1900 Agitator Electric Washer. Is there a live 1900 Dealer in your district? Would you like to know more about the 1900 line? If there is no one selling 1900 Washers in your territory there is a chance for you. Make use of it by writing to-day to the Wholesale Department. THE 1900 WASHER COMPANY 357 YONGE STREET TORONTO.
No known copyright restrictions.  https://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #758 on: May 17, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 17, 1919.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #759 on: May 17, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 17, 1919.

Mrs. Thompson needs a visit from Everett True.  Perhaps then she would take her gig a little more seriously.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #760 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:47 PM »
Mrs. Thompson needs a visit from Everett True.  Perhaps then she would take her gig a little more seriously.

Ha.  That's a very nice illustration of Ev there, Walks.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #761 on: May 18, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »
Hi @FISH.  A deep interest in WWI plus three great uncles who fought in it, were the geneses of the 100 years ago column.  Why such interest in a horrible war?  Well, perhaps it was because I knew absolutely nothing about it, to begin with.  But the more I studied it, the more I became fascinated with it.  Family history played a part too.  As mentioned, I had three great uncles who fought in WWI.  Anyway, I started printing microfilm newspaper articles from the local library (this was before home computers) and that is where the clippings began to appear on the bulletin boards.  After that, I became more interested in the societal aspects of that time and by then, WWI was exactly 100 years ago and the rest, as they, is history.     
@Rikki Gins --Same here, I knew nothing about WW 1.  I always admired the beautiful statue of a WWI soldier or “dough boy” in my city.   Funny thing about our statue, this “dough boy” has been moved to 3 different locations during my life time. Our WW1 “soldier” continues to move to less prominent locations. This cast bronze statue is one of dozens of memorials produced in the 1920s by sculptor John Paulding. Our statue is titled “Over the Top.”

I am a volunteer with a local Veterans group. I am learning about our current war stories. As I worked on my family tree, I learned that it was NOT my great Uncle Ed who served in WW 1 but, but his brother, Andrew. My older brother would say to me “Don’t you remember Uncle Ed? He had the shakes because he was exposed to the mustard gas”. As per the USA Veteran’s information, Uncle Andrew was a “Horse Shoer” Branch: Army, Troop L, 2nd Cal. Uncle Andrew served from May 1917 to July 1919. He entered the Service at the age of 26. Discharged at the age of 28.  Married at the age of 36 years old. He passed over at the age of 57 years old.

As I worked on Mr. Fish’s family tree, I discovered that his great Uncle Tom had served in the Champagne-Marne Offensive, July 1918. He was one of the few soldiers who survived. He was one of the "Men of Iron.” No one in Uncle Tom’s current family realized that “Great Uncle Tom” was a man of “Iron”. He entered the Service at the age of 17 years old. He served from August 1917 to May 1919. He was “gassed” on August 8th, 1919. He returned home, never married and died at the age of 46 years old. He had nine siblings.

As you can see, I have been learning about WW 1, so your thread is part of my learning and understanding our history… and the rest, as they say, is history.   

Photo: Men of Iron by Don Troiani
https://laststandonzombieisland.com/tag/history-art-don-troiani-us-army-military-war-military-history-ww1-wwi-ww-1-ww-i-world-war-i-world-war-1-world-war-one-first-world-war-great-war-the-great-war-1910s-battle-of-st-mihiel-hundred-days-wes/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #762 on: May 18, 2019, 08:38:09 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Omaha Daily Bee., May 18, 1919.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #763 on: May 18, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Omaha Daily Bee., May 18, 1919.

LOL

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #764 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., May 20, 1919.