Author Topic: May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month - Check for tick bites often while outdoors  (Read 194 times)

Up All Night

• Elluminati
  • I remember when
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

PB

• Ellevated
I never saw a tick until a few years ago.  I think I found 4 or 5 crawling on me that year after various hikes when I went off trail, and after that I've seen a ton - mostly from the cats bringing them in, especially the long haired cat.

They seem to walk around looking for a good spot for quite awhile, so a person usually has time to notice them before they bite in.  I've had two just start to bite in and it was a pretty sharp pain - it's hard to imagine someone not noticing it, maybe if they were still working outside or something.  Even though neither seemed to leave a mark at the time, an hour later there were throbbing red bumps where they bit. 

I just cringe wen I see people letting their kids and dogs run off off trail and into the dry grass this time of year.  There are rattle snakes as well, although not many and they are not aggressive, but still..

PB

• Ellevated
Interesting fact.  Out here we have considerably less Lyme Disease than elsewhere.  Turns out the western fence lizard carries an enzyme that kills Lyme Disease. 

When the ticks bite them, the enzyme in their blood kills any Lyme Disease that tick may be carrying, and it's the end of the line of it in that tick family.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Al Mapes
I never saw a tick until a few years ago.  I think I found 4 or 5 crawling on me that year after various hikes when I went off trail, and after that I've seen a ton - mostly from the cats bringing them in, especially the long haired cat.

They seem to walk around looking for a good spot for quite awhile, so a person usually has time to notice them before they bite in.  I've had two just start to bite in and it was a pretty sharp pain - it's hard to imagine someone not noticing it, maybe if they were still working outside or something.  Even though neither seemed to leave a mark at the time, an hour later there were throbbing red bumps where they bit. 

I just cringe wen I see people letting their kids and dogs run off off trail and into the dry grass this time of year.  There are rattle snakes as well, although not many and they are not aggressive, but still..

I had a reddish circle around a bite and I just happened to be at the doctor's office so I asked him about it.  He was so happy to be able to check something out that wasn't his specialty (colonoscopies) and he looked at it real close.  "Pretty sure that's a spider bite." he said.  I was very relived to hear that.

ItsOver

• Drone Pilot
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Opossums will never win a beauty contest but they must be hard at work in my area exterminating ticks and others odds and ends.  When I’ve been out late at night or very early in the morning, I’ll often see one scurrying away, in a typical odd and creepy opossum manner.

PB

• Ellevated
Opossums will never win a beauty contest but they must be hard at work in my area exterminating ticks and others odds and ends.  When I’ve been out late at night or very early in the morning, I’ll often see one scurrying away, in a typical odd and creepy opossum manner.

Here's a cute little guy that found a place to hide for two days in my bathroom.  I finally lured him out with cat food.

Sometimes I wonder if he's now one of the older ugly ones that prowl the yard.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellightened
Here's a cute little guy that found a place to hide for two days in my bathroom.  I finally lured him out with cat food.

They used to show up around the house.  My wife at the time would feed them cat food.  A mama would come with the little ones.  I always liked the little critters.  Sadly the mama made her way into the crawlspace and died.  Only found her because of the smell.  Had to get under there and pull her out.  I don't know what happened to her babies.  I never saw any after that.

Chefist

• Elluminati
  • K Kieres?
I refuse to inspect anyone here for ticks!
"While in jail I was raped by 4 so called men." - George Senda

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.

Ahh! He's cute! I like him. They're like the North American version of a garden hedgehog.  :)
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
I refuse to inspect anyone here for ticks!
I can live with that.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PB

• Ellevated
They used to show up around the house.  My wife at the time would feed them cat food.  A mama would come with the little ones.  I always liked the little critters.  Sadly the mama made her way into the crawlspace and died.  Only found her because of the smell.  Had to get under there and pull her out.  I don't know what happened to her babies.  I never saw any after that.

They're probably fine.  They move out of the mother's pouch and hang onto her back - when they drop off, they're ready to be on their own.