Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 581591 times)

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #915 on: October 23, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
Thank you so much, @VampireLily! I will do my best to stay out of the zoo if at all possible. I am more likely to get a bit rambunctious from time to time rather than actually get in serious trouble, at least I think so! Heh heh...  8) 

P.S. You gonna listen to the LPTD this Saturday, 7 pm EDT? It's gonna be a fun one! Check out the LPTD thread for details.  ;)

Oh! Didn't it used to be earlier? It's often hard for me to carve out time early evening TL VL time but late afternoon is easier. I will do my best! 🐱
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #916 on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
You were clear, it was goofy time
 ;D

Always the best time of the day/night

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #917 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »
Ok, so the second film I saw, last week, was Judy, with Renee Zellweger. I was never a big fan of Judy Garland, but had heard good things about this film, based on a play from London about the last few months of her life.

I was stunned, to be honest. The film is a kind of masterpiece, Zellweger was amazing, really became Judy Garland, and I was left feeling I will never be able to look at Judy Garland performing or hear her singing again in the same way. It was brutal and very compassionate at the same time, a respectful but truthful exploration of her life, the inner workings of her mind and emotions and relationships towards the end of her life... and it clearly delineated the factors that led to her swift decline and early death.

I hadn't quite realized how destructive and controlling Louis B. Mayer and the MGM Studio system was over her, very very destructive, hooking her on uppers and downers while she was in her teens, and controlling every minute of every day, creating a false life for her for the public which was very different from her actual daily life.

If you get the chance, go. I'm betting Zellweger will win the Academy Award for this one, for Best Actress if not also for having produced the film.

Go even if you weren't a big Judy Garland fan, you won't be sorry!  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #918 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »

Oh! Didn't it used to be earlier? It's often hard for me to carve out time early evening TL VL time but late afternoon is easier. I will do my best! 🐱

It's 4 pm PDT! So afternoon for you! Check it out in the LPTD thread!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #919 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »
So the last film I'll talk about is the one I saw today, Western Stars with Bruce Springsteen. That's the name of his new album and also the film.

Seems he wrote a new album of songs, first in a few years. They are reflective and thoughtful, and very good. He decided not to tour, but chose to do one concert of the entire album in order, in the huge barn on his farm. It has a very high curved roof, and the sound is amazing. He and his arranger and producer put together a 30-piece orchestra, his wife Patti Scialfa, a 4-woman group of backup singers, and a full band. They invited a very small audience, maybe 25 people, and set the place up like a bar/club.

The songs are intercut with reflective and illustrative commentary from him, explaining what he was thinking about when he wrote each song, how he developed the characters, what he was feeling, etc. It's actually very moving and interesting, worth seeing.

As a bonus he also does the best cover of Rhinestone Cowboy with glee, maybe the best version I've ever heard. The theater was not overly crowded, but most of the audience started singing live and kind of partying with him for Rhinestone Cowboy, really fun.

It's not in a wide theatrical release, I don't think, but it's playing smaller independent film houses around the country, presented by Fathom Events. Fathom Events offers limited run films of interesting arts events, sometimes ballet, Broadway musicals, restorations of great older films, etc. You might want to check them out!

If you can, and if you like Springsteen (I do, and have seen him live, too), find a way to go, it'll be better in a theater than at home!

Ok, I'm done now, I'm going back into my corner for now.  ;D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #920 on: October 24, 2019, 01:09:58 AM »
@Aquarius, see how much Getty Images will pay for your photos...  They're too good to not distribute.
Eh, nevermind...

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #921 on: October 24, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »
Actually, he is not trying to ban all guns, he is advocating stronger, better background checks. I do think he is anti-assault weapons, but not properly licensed handguns and regular rifles, like for hunting.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get into a political discussion, I was just saying I wish someone who was not so far-right or far-left who has common sense and integrity would run is all. No worries!

Constitution 101:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Blacks Law Dictionary - 2nd edition. (1910)

INFRINGEMENT

A breaking into; a trespass or encroachment upon; a violation of a law, regulation, contract, or right. Used especially of invasions of the rights secured by patents, copyrights, and trademarks.
BLD first edition is from 1891
https://archive.org/stream/BlacksLawDictionary-Editions1-9/Black%27s%20Law%20Dictionary%20-%20Editions%201-9/1st%20Edition_djvu.txt
(First edition definition is verbatim of the second.)

Any constraints on small arms (including "machine guns and grenade launchers") is a direct violation of the 2nd amendment and is null & void.
The Founding Fathers were smart enough to leave the wording vague, yet distinct enough, to cover weapons that had yet to be conceived.
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #922 on: October 24, 2019, 06:43:35 AM »
Actually, he is not trying to ban all guns, he is advocating stronger, better background checks. I do think he is anti-assault weapons, but not properly licensed handguns and regular rifles, like for hunting...

There's no such thing as an ''assault weapon''.  That is a political term made up by people like Diane Feinstein to score political points.

There are only 3 types of weapons, as follow:

- fully automatic:  the weapon continues to fire bullets as long as the trigger is held down (machine gun, already illegal)
- semi-automatic:  the weapon fires a bullet each time the trigger is pulled (all other guns)
- single shot:  a weapon that needs to be reloaded each time it is fired (like the old flintlock guns from 200 years ago)

What it comes down to is politicians and their media allies trying to ban more and more features of semi-automatic weapons, and, ultimately, all weapons.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #923 on: October 24, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #924 on: October 24, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Fuck guns, The Bart was assaulted!

https://twitter.com/bart_ell/status/1187417965609795584

At least he said you were rubbing your hands together

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #925 on: October 24, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
Constitution 101:

Blacks Law Dictionary - 2nd edition. (1910)
BLD first edition is from 1891
https://archive.org/stream/BlacksLawDictionary-Editions1-9/Black%27s%20Law%20Dictionary%20-%20Editions%201-9/1st%20Edition_djvu.txt
(First edition definition is verbatim of the second.)

Any constraints on small arms (including "machine guns and grenade launchers") is a direct violation of the 2nd amendment and is null & void.
The Founding Fathers were smart enough to leave the wording vague, yet distinct enough, to cover weapons that had yet to be conceived.

1+

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #926 on: October 24, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
Are we having fun yet?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #927 on: October 24, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »

That brown acid... Wowee!

Who needs Peter Popov?
Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #928 on: October 24, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
It’s interesting that the zombies in Night of the Living Dead took longer to kill than those in Walking Dead.
Merry Christmas

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #929 on: October 24, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
It’s interesting that the zombies in Night of the Living Dead took longer to kill than those in Walking Dead.

Living Dead was one fairly short movie. Walking Dead is a multiple season show. Ergo more time