Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427257 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #915 on: June 14, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »
Amazing indeed.  We must remember that farms were plentiful back in those days.  Lots of open fields with a tree here and there, which people naturally gravitate to in order to wait out a storm.  Lightning of course, likes to seek out things that rise above the ground, like houses, barns, trees and people.

It can hit a tree close by and travel into the ground across to innocent young barefoot people and shock the shit outta them.  And it hurts mightily!!!

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #916 on: June 14, 2019, 11:09:54 PM »
I wonder how many years Grover slept on the couch?
Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #917 on: June 15, 2019, 03:34:42 AM »
I kind of pictured her looking like...well...Miss Agnes Wells:
https://blogs.iu.edu/bicentennialblogs/2017/08/14/dr-agnes-wells-educator-administrator-equal-rights-advocate/She looks like my primary grade teachers all rolled into one.
She actually looks a bit less harsh than I had imagined. She seems to be smiling in the photo with President Bryan.
I had pictured her looking like my second grade teacher.
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #918 on: June 15, 2019, 06:09:50 AM »
Mr. Spookcat is amazed by the amount of lightning strike victims.
@Spookcat , I am amazed as well. Reading about all these lightning strike victims helps me to understand my Grandmother's fears more clearly. My brothers and I had rules to follow during a storm. Rules set down by our Grandmother. Grand mom was terrified of thunder and lightning.  We were not allowed to look out the windows, we were not to turn on the water faucets and God forbid it you tried to make a phone call.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #919 on: June 15, 2019, 06:17:55 AM »
It can hit a tree close by and travel into the ground across to innocent young barefoot people and shock the shit outta them.  And it hurts mightily!!!
@anniem did you get hit by lightning?
As a kid, I was told not to worry about lightning hitting our house. My mother pointed out to me that the Stillmunk Family had a lightning rod on top of their house. The Stillmunks had the tallest house in the neighborhood.

A lightning rod (US, AUS) or lightning conductor (UK) is a metal rod mounted on a structure and intended to protect the structure from a lightning strike.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #920 on: June 15, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
@anniem did you get hit by lightning?
As a kid, I was told not to worry about lightning hitting our house. My mother pointed out to me that the Stillmunk Family had a lightning rod on top of their house. The Stillmunks had the tallest house in the neighborhood.

A lightning rod (US, AUS) or lightning conductor (UK) is a metal rod mounted on a structure and intended to protect the structure from a lightning strike.

I always used to think that I was special and that God wouldn't ever strike me with a lightning bolt.  But then two years ago I was on my front lawn with a little kid from next door and we were watching a lightning storm.  All at once a lightning bolt flashed on the other side of my house and it must have been close because there was absolutely no delay in time to hear the follow up thunder.  It didn't hit a tree or anything, just the bright flash.  The kid went scampering back to his house and I was left standing there with my mouth hanging open, wondering if God was trying to tell me something. 

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #921 on: June 15, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
Did you miss the part where she is fifteen?

With the shorter life expectancies back then, it was like she's 60 in today's years. 🙄
Eh, nevermind...

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #922 on: June 15, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
    From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?
          (Thank You Girl has asked Mrs. Thompson two seperate questions, so this is
          your chance to win two points in the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? contest.)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #923 on: June 15, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
    From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., June, 1919.

1. Explain it to him
2. Yes

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #924 on: June 15, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »

Before I submit my answers, @Rikki Gins .
 I have one question for @sean92008 . In today's years,  how old is a 13 year old girl from 1919.  I don't mean a girl who was born in 1906  ::)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #925 on: June 15, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
FYI:

Two Tennessee lawmakers have proposed a bill that would end child marriage in Tennessee.
The founder of Unchained At Last, Fraidy Reiss, also claimed girls as young as 10 years old were married to men in their 20s in Tennessee.
This news story was posted 2019 and not 1919.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/bill-seeks-to-end-child-marriage-in-tennessee

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #926 on: June 15, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Before I submit my answers, @Rikki Gins .
 I have one question for @sean92008 . In today's years,  how old is a 13 year old girl from 1919.  I don't mean a girl who was born in 1906  ::)

In dog years? 🙄
Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #927 on: June 15, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
1. Explain in an adult, dignified manner.
2. No, 13 is too young.

Juan’s answers
1. At 13, you’re bigger than he is. Take him behind the smokehouse, bloody his nose, and explain how you will mess up his life if he does it again.
2. Depends on what he gives you.
Merry Christmas

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #928 on: June 15, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »

Is it rude to say perhaps she should take him to a tree during a lightning storm? 🤔

I joke.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #929 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:08 PM »

1.  Tell him that there are other fish in the sea and ask that he lets you go, including your friends  (Damn Hillbillie)

2.  Yes, a tie pin is fine.