Author Topic: New Phone  (Read 4550 times)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
Re: New Phone
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
Just picked up a Galaxy S9 Plus. Wow, that thing is great. I don't understand why anybody would prefer an iPhone over an android. My wife has an iPhone 9? Think it's a 9 and she prefers it over a Samsung ???

Very late to this discussion, just wandered into this thread today... I switched from Windows phone in February. It was a great, elegant, simple system that worked perfectly but was not supported any more so apps weren't updated and gradually it was not working so well any more. If it had been kept current I would not have switched. I have had Nokia phones for years now, really like them.

By the time I switched in February, Nokia had finally come out with their newer android phone, the 7.1. It was hell moving contacts and data over to android from windows, the AT&T guys knew nothing and I had to figure it out myself, but now that I am up and running I really like the Nokia 7.1. Bought it new at about $379, worth every penny.

Samsungs are mostly too big for my hand (small) and I don't like all their bloatware.

Just adding my two cents, albeit very late to the conversation!  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »
Very late to this discussion, just wandered into this thread today... I switched from Windows phone in February. It was a great, elegant, simple system that worked perfectly but was not supported any more so apps weren't updated and gradually it was not working so well any more. If it had been kept current I would not have switched. I have had Nokia phones for years now, really like them.

By the time I switched in February, Nokia had finally come out with their newer android phone, the 7.1. It was hell moving contacts and data over to android from windows, the AT&T guys knew nothing and I had to figure it out myself, but now that I am up and running I really like the Nokia 7.1. Bought it new at about $379, worth every penny.

Samsungs are mostly too big for my hand (small) and I don't like all their bloatware.

Just adding my two cents, albeit very late to the conversation!  ;)

I have samsung. Rooted it and deleted the bloat away.
All is well in Annieland.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
I have samsung. Rooted it and deleted the bloat away.
All is well in Annieland.

#loveitwhenannietalkstechnical
Are we having fun yet?

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
#loveitwhenannietalkstechnical

LOL! +1
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »
https://theoutline.com/post/7355/even-an-ape-can-profile-stalk-someone-on-instagram?utm_source=&zd=1&zi=q44x773t

A thing I consistently hear about from parents of infants/toddlers/young children is how eerily silent they fall when you hand them any iPhone-like screen. Even kids who are pre-verbal intuitively understand the swiping and tapping actions; the opiate-like effect takes over, regardless of age. But of those parents, almost all feel some trepidation about zonking their kid out with a device, or the possibility that they are ingraining the same habits they themselves they feel guilty about before their child can even form memories.

Some parents, having seen other parents’ kids’ pupils dilate to the size of their eyeballs when they get their hands on an iDevice, strenuously avoid letting their kids even know what they are. I don’t envy the choice many parents seem to face several times a day between an irate, screaming baby and one who is contentedly massaging the brain matter in his soft head with an iPad.

This was what I thought of when I saw this viral video of a chimpanzee serenely using Instagram to stalk someone’s profile, precisely the way the rest of us do: thoughtfully scrolling, selecting a photo, reflecting upon it, not interacting with it in any way, swiping back, and continuing to scroll. This is almost certainly not the first time anyone has handed a chimp a smartphone, but who did this? Is this a good idea? Why give this chimp FOMO? Will he want to be an influencer now?

The video reinforces a weird intuition I (we all) have that there is just something about how we take to this stuff so fluidly that screams we should be careful with it.